cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are all my messages being sent as MMS?

mobileguy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

So I'm in a group chat with 2 other people.  I didn't start the chat.  One of the other persons did.  However, all my messages being sent are sent as MMS.  The moment I click into the text field and enter a character, the message defaults to MMS.  I can understand photos being sent as MMS but simple one word sentences are also being sent as MMS.  Did some Google searching and didn't find any answers that fit.  When I chat with someone else, the messages are sent as SMS.  Do all messages as part of a group chat get sent as MMS?  Not sure on this one.  Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

mobileguy

@popping , thanks...will continue to do that.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@mobileguy 

Group message are send and received as MMS.  It is because you are inside a group chat.  The default is that your reply will go to everyone in your group. 

PM tracks data used by the MMS separately from your plan data because your text messages on your plan included data usage without extra charge.  Therefore, enable data  on your phone and use MMS without data charge.

mobileguy

@gpixel , thanks again.  Looks like you beat me to my own punch.

mobileguy

Apparently I found my own solution again.  It appears that if you are in a chat group with more than one person, everything gets sent as MMS.  Just did a quick test.  Started a chat with one person and messages default to SMS.  Started another chat with 2 people and messages default to MMS.  Anyone know if this is normal behaviour?

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@mobileguy there is a setting in your messages app

• open the message app>settings
  • search around you should see a group messaging settings. maybe in the "advanced section"
  • you can choose either MMS or sms

messages advanced settings.jpeg

if you choose the sms setting you will be sent individual texts instead of receiving it in the group conversation. MMS is needed to establish protocol for group conversations

you're a man on fire! lol you don't need us 👍

Need Help? Let's chat.