cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are Koodo reps trying to Convert us to Koodo.

Sinbad
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I got a call today from a Koodo Rep. stating that Koodo has bought PM and are converting PM over to Koodo. 

He gave me the same deal $40.00 but includes a free sim for switching over. He even tried to make me commit to making an appointment. 

So my concern, is PM going to get shut down and Koodo gettin ready to takeover. 

And if not why is there No annoucement from PM to advise us that we are OK and do not need to switch. 

BTW I have been very happy with PM.Smiley Very Happy

37 REPLIES 37

Yes, he was on LTE for 6 months before switching.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Luddite,

Hi,

Did your friend have LTE before?  

True.  Everyone has different needs.  However, your friend should not have to go back in time. This is 2017 and PM has LTE.  Everyone should get full LTE speeds.  Sorry, just my opinion. 🙂 

@Michael77 wrote:

I don't know about you but once you go LTE you can never go back to 3g. 

A friend just did to save $ has reported his experience to me as "Slower but, all in all, totally adequate!!".

Different strokes, for different folks. Robot wink

koimr1

Hehehe, so many years of "3G is good enough for me"... wow was I ever wrong. 🙂

Michael77

I don't know about you but once you go LTE you can never go back to 3g. 

BigDog87

It definitely seems like PM is starting a transition towards a 3G only budget brand like Chatr

I could be wrong, but they are pushing 3G hard on people and trying to get LTE customers to switch

Piece of mind knowing that the company will still exst as it currently is in a year or two+

No evidence yet that Koodo will outlive PM. Robot Very Happy

BigDog87

Why switch? 

Tab on a phone

More data

Customer service

Ability to get a retention plan in the future

Piece of mind knowing that the company will still exst as it currently is in a year or two+

shawnie_boy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@BigDog87 wrote:

What does one have to do to be lucky enough to get one of these calls/texts?

I desparately want to switch

Why, there is no advantage to this offer. Koodo doesn't even have volte yet. Unless you don't like how long public mobile is along the top of iPhone I can't think of a reason to switch. 

BigDog87

What does one have to do to be lucky enough to get one of these calls/texts?

I desparately want to switch

Balanceman
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Consistent with other responses, Koodo doesn't have as many disounts as Public Mobile does and therefore would usually result in a higher average price per unit/customer (ARPU).

Also a post-paid plan (whereas Public Mobile is pre-paid, although it has characteristics of post-paid plans) would provide a more stable revenue stream.  Given that the cost of doing business is mainly fixed, it make sense to try to get as many people on higher priced plans or plans with little to no discounts.

And in investor communications (Telus), communicating growth of discount brands is less impressive than growth of your mid-class brands.

MK78

Same here... Its funny they are doing this when I still have over 2 months in prepaid service. Pretty silly, do they expect I would just dump over $80 worth of service, AND pay more per month to Koodo?

If they're gonna spam users, at least do it when someone's got like a week left or something, so they can make an informed choice that may make sense and not be out a whole bunch of money.

Michael77

I just got a text message from Koodo.  I was just offered the 5 gig plan.

Grampa
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
I just got the text. I'm in Ontario and on the June 2017 4gb promo for ports from Freedom. Using about 3.75gb per month and recently bought 400min long distance addon and 1gb data addon as buffer.

I have until Sept.16 to switch to Koodo and I most likely will. Telus network is so much better than Freedom, I need to watch my data use and I am not used to that.

I will end up paying an extra $12 per month plus tax, but there is nothing better out there for 5gb on a quality network.

Vickel

@stonechucker wrote:

@Vickel, if the offer is open to all, you don't miss out on ny of the offers, unless you don't look for them.

each time an offer has been presented, and it was open to existing subscribers, you simply have to select the desired offer, and FUTURE DATE your plan change.

This is a standard practice.

I was referring to offers from other companies, Fido, Koodo, etc

Michael77

I would move to Koodo if the price was right. 🙂

Acekiller

I think I would jump ship if the opportunity present.  With Koodo you can get cheap phones on tab from time to time.

cricketfan
It's simple.
If they're running after you, then you have a great plan which they want you to get off.
If you're running after them, they are providing a great plan which you want to get on.

Even if public mobile is sinking, you'll be given ample amount of time to switch your phone number to another provider. Till then, sit back and enjoy the ride.

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

It looks like they are trying to get one at a one over. 

If public mobile's new pricing doesnt work, then people would move over or sign up else where.

@Vickel, if the offer is open to all, you don't miss out on ny of the offers, unless you don't look for them.

each time an offer has been presented, and it was open to existing subscribers, you simply have to select the desired offer, and FUTURE DATE your plan change.

This is a standard practice.

Vickel

If I got an offer from koodo for the same plan $40 4gb I would seriously consider switching 

PM is great but sometimes you miss out on deals when you prepaid for 90 days

koimr1

@905289 wrote:

Although we've already had the great debate about PM closing shop, i'm still not convinced that PM will last. By converting many to koodo, telus eliminates the future lost revenue from rewards and makes an extra $10-15 more a month. Its a good strategy.

I dunno, in my opinion it would have to be a better deal than what we have now at PM or it's just going to really provoke some pretty severe anti-Telus sentiment, especially among those who came from FM (even with the worse network this would be something to really swear off one of the Big 3).

Michael77
@905289,

I guess it's a good strategy if people switch. I think Koodo's $50 deal should be $40-$45. 🙂

When i went into a wireless dealer he called koodo and tried to get the $50 offer for me. An hour later the koodo rep asked to speak to me. The dealer was aparently not entirely truthful to the rep and she called him on it. What the koodo rep did say to me was that eventually everyone with PM would be getting a text.

Although we've already had the great debate about PM closing shop, i'm still not convinced that PM will last. By converting many to koodo, telus eliminates the future lost revenue from rewards and makes an extra $10-15 more a month. Its a good strategy.

Michael77
Thanks @Sinbad for the information. I think they offered you a pretty good deal. Canada wide calling is a $5 per month charge at PM. Not everyone will like this deal but I do. They have a call centre and the phone can be used in the US.

Sinbad

I have been very happy here and so it would take a lot to move me to any other carrier...

MK78

@Sinbad wrote:

The plan they offered me wa $40.00 4 gb unlimited calling and texting Canada wide. Only difference is I have province wide. Not worth it for me to switch. Also you can get some 0 phone plan on tab. Still not interested. 

Not only that, there is no referral discounts on Koodo. This upcoming month I'll be getting $16 off, and that's with 2 months left until renewal I might get more points.

MK78

My mom received a SMS from Koodo, with offers to switch back. She ported into PM from Koodo, on the Fall 2016 Promo.

My brother and I didn't get the SMS, we ported in from Wind & Rogers respectively.

So it's clearly they're trying to lure former customers.

skmkenn

I'm concerned with the fact that representatives from a sister brand are flat out lying and misleading customers into thinking that Public Mobile is being shut down or has been bought out in an attempt to move them over to postpaid services when that's not the case.

With both Koodo and Public Mobile being owned by TELUS, I would think that this sort of thing wouldn't be happening and it certainly goes against the culture that TELUS has internally.

Sinbad

The plan they offered me wa $40.00 4 gb unlimited calling and texting Canada wide. Only difference is I have province wide. Not worth it for me to switch. Also you can get some 0 phone plan on tab. Still not interested. 

Need Help? Let's chat.