cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why am I getting calls for people who had this number previously?

lllb
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Why am I getting calls for people who had this number previously?many nusiance and annoying calls

9 REPLIES 9

If it is a real problem that can't wait 30 days I would guess that the moderators will do something to let you change numbers right away. Maybe they can put the number into long term storage for awhile as well!

AE_Collector

PAULRANG18
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

You can ignore the calls if you notice unfamiliar numbers on call display and if this doesn't resolve the issue, you should change your number.

@lllbIf you live in a populated space eg Lower Mainland or GTA and want to avoid recycled numbers then get a number from 236 (in GVRD) or 365 in GTA.

@lllb wrote:

Why am I getting calls for people who had this number previously?many nusiance and annoying calls

Your options are pretty much to ignore the calls, inform tbe people you are not the person that they are looking for, change your phone number, or block incoming calls from these numbers.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@lllb  Any time you pick a new number there is always a chance that this is going to happen. Your options are you can try changing numbers every 30 days until you find one that is acceptable or instead of picking a new number every time you switch providers consider porting your number in the future to avoid this problem.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mimmo wrote:

numbers are recycled.  getting a new number does not mean it has not been used before nor does it mean it has not been added to a spammers list.

you can always try getting another new number.  you can change numbers once every 30 days.

Sure. But in my case, there was an immediate sense to it. Like something like so are you coming in to work tomorrow. They were probably fine losing the number anyway as I also heard from banks and collectors looking for that person. Not knowing all the street jargon, I also think they might have been into nefarious business.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

numbers are recycled.  getting a new number does not mean it has not been used before nor does it mean it has not been added to a spammers list.

you can always try getting another new number.  you can change numbers once every 30 days.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lllb wrote:

I think I somehow scooped somebody's number when I signed up. I immediately got calls and texts for the same person. I of course said it's the wrong number. Apparently they didn't dispute it as I still have the number. It dies down not long afterwards.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@lllb wrote:

Consider changing your number. Log into My Account...look for the Change Number button. Select a new number.

Need Help? Let's chat.