cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why I can’t send pics using wifi through text messages

Lunagan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Only when I turn on the data can I send out a pic through text message or receive one, but I can’t do that when I am only on wifi? Anyone know why?

8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mobileguy : My Samsung S7 was able to send/receive MMS automatically. I never could find the switch to control it. My Samsung A31 does not.

@softech : The automatic method actually does need data on. It just does it very quickly itself. You can actually watch your status bar up top and see the data indicator come on then off as it does its thing.

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@Lunagan MMS picture message can't go through wifi. That's as designed.

mobileguy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@softech , I have the Google Pixel 3a.  If you don't see this option on your Samsung, then maybe take a look in your Developer’s options and see if you have it there.  If not, then it's just the way Android OS behaves between different companies.

@mobileguy wrote:

Check your phone settings and see if you have an option like mine where you can send and receive MMS messages when data is turned off.9440AE0B-9CB7-4AF3-8705-CA6BAD4E0387.jpeg

Interesting.. what kind of phone is that?  Look like my Samsung does not have that...

mobileguy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Check your phone settings and see if you have an option like mine where you can send and receive MMS messages when data is turned off.9440AE0B-9CB7-4AF3-8705-CA6BAD4E0387.jpeg

Gunner123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Lunagan It has to do with a MMS proxy that tries to avoid accidently sending over WIFI. MMS being an old protocol, part of the issue is authentication. With using their own specific app, they can authenticate(mobile data connection) the MMS protocol and the user attached, to be able to use over WIFI

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@Lunagan wrote:

Only when I turn on the data can I send out a pic through text message or receive one, but I can’t do that when I am only on wifi? Anyone know why?

@Lunagan you need data enabled to send or receive an mms message even if you dont have any data it will still go through 

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@Lunagan wrote:

@Lunagan  hi that's the way it works to both send and receive an mms it does not use any of your data  it just needs to be on 😊

Need Help? Let's chat.