cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which cell tower to use for booster?

mrkaterman
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I'm installing a booster in my home and trying to figure out which tower to point it.

Using cellmapper, I see there is a 4g tower closest to where I live, and if I change the option to 3g network, the 4g tower disappears and a 3g farther away appears.

So do I point it at the 3g or 4g tower?  From what I understand data is at 3g speed, which is fine.  But for voice will it go through the 4g tower?

I can post more info if that helps.

Thank you

37 REPLIES 37

.. that reply probably scared OP.. he almost want to return the order.. LoL

og2
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

og2
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@mrkaterman Yes, please point it at the closest 3g tower. Does the booster support both 850MHz and 1900MHz bands? Bands 2 and 5? If not, I would return it and purchase one with those two bands.

@mrkaterman 

You should post your question/read this on Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CellBoosters/

mrkaterman
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The reason for the booster is voice quality on phone calls.  Also, sometime phone will not even ring in the basement.  Not worried about data because we have good wifi and Internet.

So that being said, 3G tower would be best?  Cell mapper shows tower as 3G-UMTS

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mrkaterman 

Plans with 3G data may reach download speeds of up to 3 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network. Speed and signal strength may vary with your device, configuration,

Public Mobile uses the following frequency bands:

• 4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS).
  • HSPA: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS).

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@mrkaterman   PM data goes through both 3G and LTE while voice only goes with 3G

if your voice also have issue, I guess you should point to the 3G tower.  If no issue with voice and just Data issue, then point to 4G tower

Need Help? Let's chat.