cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When Input IS NOT Input

mtm
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi All,

Just been noticing that people are adding comments to New Ideas that have nothing to do with the idea.  Or are voicing their own personal preference which is opposite of what the idea is, much like it's up for debate, or they ignorantly try to educate and point out the obvious, or believes that the poster is ignorant of how Public Mobile works.  These comments ARE NOT, repeat ARE NOT input or constructive criticism.

Example of what is: 

Idea is posted in Public Lab on  A Self-Serve App to update/top-up/check usage. Poster adds more detail about the features, etc.

Someone comments:  At the very least have a running total on Data Usage for current billing period (in this case Renewal date to renewal date).

The above is an example of input- IT ADDS to the idea

What is NOT:

Actual New Idea in Public Lab:  MEGA PLAN(S) (check it for details)

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Public-Lab/MEGA-Plan-s/idi-p/37019

it lists in detail a 120 Day Plan with lots of data, and other goodies  AND a 365 Day Plan

Commenters commented on it being too long of a commitment, that even 90 days would be a stretch, it's not refundable, blah, blah.  All comments on about WHAT ALREADY EXISTS, and NOTHING to do with WHAT DOES NOT EXIST. 

Now if someone added a comment about a 180 Day Plan and what it would entail, THAT IS INPUT. Or if they included their own version of a 365 Day Plan, THAT IS INPUT!!  In addition to giving their Bravos too of course ;o)  THOSE COMMENTS ADD TO THE IDEA.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, PUBLIC LAB IS FOR NEW IDEAS!!  IT'S TO POST WHAT WE WOULD LIKE TO HAVE. Are these commenters afraid that if long term plans are offered that the short term ones will stop?  Are they imposing their short term preferences on others that might want longer term plans that might enable them to get more for less? Seems rather short-sighted on how Public Mobile can jump ahead of the competition by leaps and bounds.

When PM added the 90 day plan, they introduced a 10 day plan too!!!  Guess what? 30 days is still there!

So if an idea is not for you, move on, your lack of a Bravo is enough.  Makes me wonder that you're posting for the sake of posting in order to make you look like your participating in the community.

15 REPLIES 15

@Jeremy_M Thank you for stepping in and moderating fairly.

I completely agree with @Martin that this forum does not allow any name calling. We've all had our disagreements with each other from time to time (once or twice, I've even had disagreements with community managers!). The only tolerant way of dealing with people who have other opinions is to let them express them without fear of being insulted or ridiculed.

On a personal level, I don't appreciate when people come in and create these divisive ripples in the community because it discourages participation.

@mtm Your passion for some of these issues is very apparent and is welcome here. But please be mindful that others may have different opinions, which is okay even if those opinions are incorrect or misinformed in your view. As far as the Public Lab goes, it is all about participation and brainstorming and not just about what gets the most votes. When more people see the community as a warm, safe, and welcoming place, we all get rewarded with a cohesive community that grows fast and works better in all respects.

youbme
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Thank you @Martin and @Jeremy_M for your thoughtful and clear explanations of the PM community guidelines.

Reflecting on the nature of responses to @mtm's Public Lab idea, I can understand his/her frustration with the critiques we presented to the idea. I chose to stop posting responses to the lab idea when I saw that it was escalating in a negative way (including my own response to @mtm where I assumed s/he was stressed - that is not a fair way to engage in discussions). With any online forum, I know it is easy to feel that critiques are personal attacks (I've certainly been guilty of this before) - so I'd encourage all of us to step back when feeling that way and respond to the ideas using our personal experiences and knowledge.

Hopefully the forum can continue to be a place for free and open dialogue to help make Public Mobile a better company, and more importantly for me, a cooperative space for us to help each other out and build community.

Finally, I want to applaud @Jeremy_M for moderating the posts with care and respect towards everyone. Well done!

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@mtm

I do not only agree with @Martin  But these are really are views as well as a company. As @Martin mentioned "The Public Mobile community is a vibrant, lively one, in which all interested members can openly express their views, secure in the knowledge that views will be reciprocated with civility."

The above also doesn't mean there is no room for improvement and how we can display and discuss best practices within the Community. We want to encourage participation and keep our folks on the Community engaged and sometimes it won't be perfect - in everything we do, we want to build people up and not tear them down. 

So being positive and constructive surely goes along way!

Cheers,

Jeremy

Martin
Legend
Legend
To @mtm,

The Public Mobile community is a vibrant, lively one, in which all interested members can openly express their views, secure in the knowledge that views will be reciprocated with civility.

Your posts are uncivil, and thus a violation of community norms. If your tone and insults were normative, this community would become a shadow of itself, with the only posters being those in agreement with your expectations.

This community neither tolerates nor wants disruptive OPs. Either conform to community norms, without exception, or please permanently leave.

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
All I can say is WOW

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi @Jeremy_M,

I strongly suggest that you read this entire thread, as well as the linked one provided by @mtm.

In the linked thread, you will see that mtm insulted @youbme and @Rockdaddy22. In this thread, mtm states, "... ignorantly try to educate ..." which I infer as a general insult of those who do not engage in what he/she views as neither input nor constructive criticism.

In light of the OP's aggressive tone and rude language, which violate community norms, I am requesting that you constructively criticize the OP's behaviour, with a statement that a repeat will be met with stiffer sanctions.

I thank you in advance for your attention to the problematic behaviour.

Martin

mtm

@Jeremy_M It would be great if one could remove irrelevant comments, as the immaturity continues here http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Public-Lab/MEGA-Plan-s/idc-p/37760#M1602

mtm

@Rockdaddy22 speaking of hostile...do you not understand that in order for YOUR IDEA to get recognition YOU NEED to POST IT YOURSELF IN PUBLIC LAB? Your idea has nothing to do with MEGA PLANS.

DO NOT project your wants/needs onto me. Considering the detail in my MEGA PLANS with regards to DATA has to do with MY wants/needs.  IT'S OKAY to have different wants and needs.  You speak of 12GB for a year is enough for YOU, which is laughable to me when put in perspective of MEGA PLANS. Your plan would NOT get a Bravo from me, but I'm sure it would from those who made irrelevant comments about what exists already, less the person who thought 90 days was a stretch for length of commitment. Nothing personal just has nothing to do with me.

It takes MATURITY to recognize the difference, and not stoop to silly comments;to know when it is input

I promise not to poop on your idea, if posted, with comments about my preference since it would have nothing to do with your idea.

Public Lab is for YOU to post what YOU want. See an idea you like-give it a Bravo & add a comment that enhances the idea.  IDEAS ARE NOT DEBATEBABLE!

Rockdaddy22
I know what's laughable to me.

mtm

@Rockdaddy22 Hostile? I think not, maybe on the part of youbeme (see my post in Discussion titled 'When Input IS NOT Input).  Your option, or what you would like, is not MEGA, other than the term length. 1GB per month is laughable for me.  Maybe post your own idea for those that want a longer term, but less data.

If they don't get posted, they don't get any thought from PM.

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@mtm

Thank you for taking the time and posting this. I do agree with many of your points, especially:

• PUBLIC LAB IS FOR NEW IDEAS!!  IT'S TO POST WHAT WE WOULD LIKE TO HAVE.

We are working on a full launch of the Public Lab in 2016, and we will address some of these great points you brought up!

Cheers!

Rockdaddy22
Hostile around here lol I'd commit to a year if I could save money 🙂 12GB for the year would be great for me

mtm

@youbme you need to grow up. You think I don't know it's prepaid and non-refundable. Just how is it helpful? It's not input, and where do you get off talking about added stress? You don't know me, but you only prove my point about your ignorance. 

Like I said your comments are of NO VALUE to this plan!  I have no worries about making a longer term commitment with Telus backing PM.  The service is very good, and by offering more for less, they can compete with Wind and Mobilicity. With Rogers owning Mobilicity, and those customers now on the Rogers network, they're noticing improvement in service. Rogers has to turn over Mobilicity's spectrum over to Wind by the end of this year.

This is a chance for Public Mobile to do more.

youbme
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
@mtm, excuse me for trying to provide my input to your idea. I thought you'd appreciate comments to your idea, but if you'd rather no one responds to you - only those who support you 100% - then maybe this forum is not for you. This shouldn't be an added stress on you, instead a space where we can all discuss ideas to improve PM. Have a good day.

mtm

@clintonkr @youbme @yads @makkahn28 This is about MY IDEA, and WHAT I WANT in this forum for people to post WHAT THEY WANT TO SEE.  Your comments do not add any value to the MEGA PLANS idea.  You're for it- give it a Bravo, you don't-move on and POST YOUR OWN IDEA. The bare-bones options are there already!  I came across ideas that I Bravoed, and others that I didn't.  There were some longer term plan ideas but were lacking in data-I did not comment that it wasn't enough, I posted this idea.

This would be for people THAT DO want these options, hence the name MEGA. By making a longer term commitment, one is rewarded with more Data for much less.

@youbme your attempt to educate only shows your ignorance!

Need Help? Let's chat.