cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WhatsApp

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

How can I use WhatsApp for international calls and text, using my own WiFi?

I do have WiFi on my laptop at home.  This WiFi is connected on my android phone.

My phone has permission to use the WiFi that is installed on it.

Also, my plan has unlimited international text. Yet I have been unable to send messages to England via WhatsApp message feature. At the same time, I have been charged for data when trying to do so, as recently as today - August 9.

My phone is compatible with Public Mobile. 

Everyone tells me that s/he is able to use WhatsApp to call and text internationally.

I am the only one we know who is unable to do so.

11 REPLIES 11

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@4165761945 you've had a lot of replies but I think most have missed the point: you're unfortunately confusing two things.

The unlimited international texting that's part of your plan is for SMS or MMS messages.  These are very simple and very old messaging service.

WhatsApp is an "over the top" service that runs on data.  Everything you do in WhatsApp does indeed consume data as it does not transmit over SMS or MMS.  Someone talked about "text messaging" using WhatsApp, but those are two different things.  "Text messaging" means SMS or MMS, but messaging over WhatsApp or other apps (iMessage, Skype, Signal, Line, WeChat, Hangouts, etc. etc. etc.) is actually "instant messaging" or "IM".  All these services use data.

If you want to use the included unlimited SMS/MMS text messaging in your plan, you need to find your SMS app on your phone and message your international friends there, not in WhatsApp.  You will not be able to call them this way, but it will not deduct any data from your plan data bucket.

EDIT:

I may not have explained all this very well.  You may want to have a look at some resources like this for more info:
https://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/internet/social-media/whats-the-difference-between-whatsapp-and-tex...

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@will13am wrote:

That is not even the point here.  When you call a Whatsapp contact, you select the contact and then the call function.  You don't dial that contact's phone number.  That is not how Whatsapp calls work.  

It's been so long that I've used Whatsapp that I don't remember. I do know that Skype, Viber, and Hangouts can be used to call regular phone numbers (not all are free), but that Facebook Messenger doesn't.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@popping wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@4165761945 , I don't believe Whatsapp can call a phone number.  You can make calls to other Whatsapp members.  Text messages sent using Whatsapp is not the same as SMS which is run by the carrier.  Whatsapp uses data and when not on WiFi, mobile data is used.  Like all chat apps, Whatsapp does not make any distinctions on local vs long distance.  

Agree.  I did not make this point clear in my post above.  WhatsApp is using a phone number as links between users.  All communications are done by WhatsApp protocol over WWW using WiFi or mobile data.  It has nothing to do with the telephone switching system.

I am seeing references to exit codes and such.  It is very confusing.  The bottom line is if someone already has a particular contact in their Whatsapp, it is just a matter of selecting that contact and calling them.  

I consider the use of 011 to be oudated. + and then the country code is all that is needed. We've seen this with codes such as *67, which now just doesn't work at some carriers.

That is not even the point here.  When you call a Whatsapp contact, you select the contact and then the call function.  You don't dial that contact's phone number.  That is not how Whatsapp calls work.  

@will13am wrote:

@popping wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@4165761945 , I don't believe Whatsapp can call a phone number.  You can make calls to other Whatsapp members.  Text messages sent using Whatsapp is not the same as SMS which is run by the carrier.  Whatsapp uses data and when not on WiFi, mobile data is used.  Like all chat apps, Whatsapp does not make any distinctions on local vs long distance.  

Agree.  I did not make this point clear in my post above.  WhatsApp is using a phone number as links between users.  All communications are done by WhatsApp protocol over WWW using WiFi or mobile data.  It has nothing to do with the telephone switching system.

I am seeing references to exit codes and such.  It is very confusing.  The bottom line is if someone already has a particular contact in their Whatsapp, it is just a matter of selecting that contact and calling them.  

I consider the use of 011 to be oudated. + and then the country code is all that is needed. We've seen this with codes such as *67, which now just doesn't work at some carriers.

@popping wrote:

@will13am wrote:

popping

@will13am wrote:

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

popping

@4165761945 

The easiest way to use WhatsApp to talk to your friends is to add your friends phone number to your contact list.  Make sure that your international friends phone must include the 011-CountryCode-Phone#.  

Always enable and connect to nearby WiFi while available.

@4165761945 if that's your real number. Please contact the moderators and ask them to change your community login  You have given people 1/3 of the information required to port your number. There are 2 ways to contact the Moderator Team:

• Faster response- Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Slower- Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

Once connected to Simon, you will be asked to log in again with your community user name and password.  Please do, this allows you to continue and send your message.
- Check your private message sent box (click on the envelope top right of your screen) to make sure the message was sent.

- Keep an eye on the envelope top right of your screen.  The mods answer will show up there.  When it does, you will be asked to verify your self service account, with your password and login. Doing so allows the process to continue. Stay safe. 

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@4165761945 turn off the data option on your device. it's probably just the data buffer of 5.76mb that you're seeing in your self serve. it will go back to 0 if you toggle airplane mode on/off on your phone

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@4165761945 the person you are talking to also has to have whatsapp and you still have to use exit codes. 011 and country code 44. Stay safe.  

Need Help? Let's chat.