cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the fine print on the Koodo = Telus = Public Mobile 6GB/$40 Plan?

DavidNS
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

So whats the catch?  Can anyone answer?  Is it stuff like:

The promo price is only guaranteed X months?

They can raise it anytime?

They can throttle your data speed after X GB?

Just curious if anyone who has switched to this plan can say what the fine print is.

7 REPLIES 7

Well they can increase price on koodoo, telus, same as PM here, which you already saw infront of your eyes that upset so many.  

Just wondering how many koodoo legacy plan got price increase before

aip0401

Ah, thanks everyone for reminding me that we don't have contracts anymore.  The last time I was on postpaid, I was on Fido before the CRTC made the change.

Of course your mileage may vary, but personally, unless PM does away with the reward structure or they raise the prices past the point where the reward benefits are cancelled out, the plans are still seem pretty competitive in BC.

Aahan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@DavidNSwrote:

@aip0401wrote:

Koodo and Telus have post-paid plans (i.e. contracts), so the promo is guaranteed for the contract period, which is 2 years.

Ah!  So you're locked in for 2 years thats the catch.

I had no intention of taking the offer, I was just curious how they ensured you stayed with telus = koodo = public mobile.

Postpaid plans and contracts are not the same thing. You're not "locked in" for 2 years, you can cancel or move to another carrier anytime you want.

Regardless of the carrier, everyone's TOS states that they can change rate plans at any time provided they give 30 days notice in advance (which is exactly what PM attempted to do in the first place).

This whole thing is essentially one big gamble. Either you bet your money on PM, thinking that Koodo will eventually increase the cost of this plan once enough people have switched over, or you bet your money on Koodo, thinking that PM has tried to increase prices once, and they're working so hard to push people over to Koodo, so it's not a farfetched idea that the future of PM is uncertain.

In my opinion, I feel this shift from PM to Koodo is being encouraged so that they can eliminate their LTE tier and become 3G only, to be at par with their competitors in the industry (i.e Lucky and Chatr)

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@DavidNSwrote:

@aip0401wrote:

Koodo and Telus have post-paid plans (i.e. contracts), so the promo is guaranteed for the contract period, which is 2 years.

I had no intention of taking the offer, I was just curious how they ensured you stayed with telus = koodo = public mobile.

Incorrect there are no contracts in canada anymore for phones. its simply remaining tab.

Actually we'd prefer to be locked in for 2 years then we know the price wont increase.

The catch is the parent company Telus wants us off these fall Promo Plans and up the value chain from pre-paid to post-paid. 

Koodo offers canada wide roaming, but no free call forwarding, the chance to get a phone on a tab.

adam_19w
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

they only way to get "locked in" on a koodo plan is to get a new phone on the tab which is then paid off over two years.  Even then you can cancel you just have to pay off the balance remaining on your new phone.

DavidNS

@aip0401wrote:

aip0401

Koodo and Telus have post-paid plans (i.e. contracts), so the promo is guaranteed for the contract period, which is 2 years.  They may not throttle your data speed, but they can certainly charge you overage fees.  There's also nothing really preventing the promo from being discontinued or rolled back once your contract expires.

With prepaid plans at PM, you're paying for your plan upfront for the duration of your specified period (i.e. 10/30/90 days) so there is no chance of incurring overage because you're paying for exactly what you're getting.  As well, you won't be affected by any price changes until it's time for you to renew your plan for another period, but there technically isn't anything in the service agreement that I found that says that PM has to grandfather you in.  They'd just be generating a lot of bad will if they do.

As others have suggested elsewhere, before you jump to Telus or Koodo, you should evaluate whether it's worth it based on the loyalty rewards that PM gives.  Even without referrals, if you stay with PM for at least 5 years and have Autopay enabled, you'd get $7 off your monthly bill. It's not something that other carriers offer.

Need Help? Let's chat.