cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the fastest speed you got on the PM network?

bryanbreguet
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Not trying to restart the whole "is PM being throttled compared to Telus" debate, I'm just curious about the maximum (and average) speed people are getting.

I'm in Vancouver, I think the fastest I got on my OP3 was 50Mbps down while connected to a LTE advanced (4G+) tower.

So please share your max speed. Post screenshots if you want, but it's not necessary, we will believe you!

15 REPLIES 15

thenighthawk
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have been with Public Mobile since yesterday and have tested d/u speeds a few times.  At work, I get 60-65 Mbps download speed.  At home, I get 30-35 Mbps download speed.  The u/l has been hovering around 25 Mbps both at work and home.  My phone is Nexus 6P with Nougat 7.1.1.  

Cypm

i only have average  10-13 down maybe it does matter what kind of phone do you have too. if your phone support 4g or only 3g?

Promethieus
1.2 down, 0.01 up is lowest

10 down, 2 up is highest

Not too happy, lol

sinasdf
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have ran several tests since a few days ago and I have disappointing numbers here in Toronto

lowest of 0.84 down, 0 up

highest of 10 down, .83 up

but the average is more like 3 down, 0.3 up.

aa

I had 60 down and 25up. Better than my home broadband! Well done Telus considering 12 months ago I was topping out at 20 down and 5 up.

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I think the fastest I've gotten was in the 60ish range.  

primus

New to PM and did couple of test at work and at home. At work I got 16 down and 22 up, at home I got 51.5 down and 28 up.

CaNuCk07
Mayor / Maire

I have a heavy duty case on my iphone 6, and i find when i remove the case, the speeds jump.  I guess its the price you pay for safety!

I've only done 6 tests on the speedtest.net servers since activating 4 days ago, but the fast I've gotten is 63.33/27.23 Mbps.  I can't run speedtest too often.  That one used up a full 100MB of data!

iam_immigrant

@EltonB Yep! When I first signed up it was 3G after restarting it went 4G then after 10min or so LTE. My friend who just transferred over also using an older phone got 30down and 15up in Toronto.

EltonB
@iam_immigrant. Is that LTE?

iam_immigrant

I'm in Ajax and using an old Samsung Note 2 and I'm getting 40 down and 6 up all while saving $30/month so I'm not complaining at all.

EltonB
I get from 5mbps to 10mbps down and about 2mbps up in Toronto.

mattyboi

When I first activated my sim it was really slow (less than a mb down lol) but eventually picked up to 20ish mbps down.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

My device doesn't do 4G LTE.  It's too old, lol.

My device does do 3G HSDPA 14.4 and HSPA+ on 850MHz/1900MHz.  My download speeds range from 6Mpbs to 21Mpbs when single-channel is available and 14Mbps to 42Mpbs when dual-channel is available - although it seems impossible to predict which mode is available each time you connect, I'm guessing because sometimes only one channel is available.  My peak measured download speed was (briefly) 52Mbps.  Upload speeds are generally a little more than half the download speeds.

My device also does 2G.  But I've never encountered active 2G service in my local Public Mobile (Telus) networks.

And my device does WLAN 802.11b/g/n, allowing up to 11/54/150Mbps across WiFi - better than my 3G when available.

I'm not sure there is any practical distinction between speed on Public Mobile vs speed on Telus.  I think they're exactly the same network, (subsidiary) Public Mobile is the MNVO "reseller" of access to (parent company) Telus's cellular telecomm network - and to my knowledge Public Mobile doesn't impose usage/speed limits the way companies like Wind or Chatr do.  Though I could be wrong.

Need Help? Let's chat.