cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is Public Mobile (and what it is not)

clintonkr
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Over the few short days I've been a member, and user, I cannot help but notice some things need to be blatantly stated as to what Public Mobile is, and what it is not. Public Mobile's website, although fairly straightforward to me...many of our companions could benefit from a post that blatantly spells out what Public Mobile is all about.

Public Mobile is:

• In a collaborative beta: And that's exciting, giving it's subscriber base the opportunity to play a role in it's development and culture - a first in Canada. However, it does mean that issues are to be expected and more prevalent during the beta phase.

• A low-cost operator: Public Mobile is an MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator) which, in this instance, gives us access to the Telus network at a lower price point. This however comes with a few caveats, some of which are listed below.

• Pre-paid: Meaning you know exactly what your bill will be every month. Unless you elect to make changes, there's no overages, no roaming, no PPU (pay per use) charges to worry about.

Public Mobile is\does not:

• An official carrier for ANY phone: Its BYOD and does not come with any support or guarantees that a phone will function as you may be accustomed while operated on a carrier that officially carried, and supported, that phone. You cannot expect official updates, OTAs or otherwise, to continue.

• Provide conventional support: If you're having an issue and are expecting a rapid resolution, that's not what Public Mobile is about. You have the option of turning to your peers for support or, if it falls outside of the the community scope, PM one of the moderators\email Public Mobile directly. Although they strive to respond to all inquiries within 48 hours, this is by no means guaranteed.

• Available out-of-country: You cannot roam domestically or internationally with Public Mobile. This also means domestic "extended coverage" areas, that are a result of a roaming agreement, are not available to Public Mobile subscribers. International calling beyond the United States base plan and add-on is not available.

This list is by no means exhaustive, please add your thoughts in the comments below if there's anything you feel needs to be added and\or modified.

4 REPLIES 4

Great post, keep it up!

samadhi
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Excellent review, @clintonkr, of very important aspects about PM.

I appreciate the quality and the depth of your Posts.

Keep up the great work!

vrance
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi @clintonkr, good post and the new customer can have expectations from here.

Daniel
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Great Post @clintonkr, it will be able to help some new comer!

Need Help? Let's chat.