cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens when data used up?

aaronmartin
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
I'm on 90 day plan with 1 GB of data. If that 1 GB is used up before 90 days, so I get charged overages or is data removed from service? Is there a way to buy small amounts of data to add on?
12 REPLIES 12

aaronmartin

Sign into selfserve.publicmobile.ca and on the main overview page that you first see, you will will see an add on section. If you have data left in your cutec you should see something like this; 1234mbs used of 4321mbs total. Once you have used all the data you will see "no add ons" unless you have calling add one. These numbers were just an example. I am not a moo

jcwongcc
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

How to prove I had used up all my three months data in a month?

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Luddite @kav2001c my understanding is similar to Luddite's.  I think you ony have the 90 days once the account is supsended.  If you don't make a payment and re-activate your service, then I believe on the 91st day (or 90th?), your account is permanently deactivated, and any unusused add-on on amounts would be forfietted permanently.  But as long as you keep the account active or less than 90-days suspended, the add-ons will not expire.  Case in point, I bought the $8 200 min US and Canadian long distance add-on last October and I still have 131 mins left, 3 90-day renewals later.  Actually it will be with me for a while now, as I've upgraded my talk to Canada-wide on this last renenwal and will be using the add-on minutes even more slowly.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@kav2001c My understanding is that add-ons never die until your account is deleted. So, expect any remaining usage to be available when you take your account out of suspension.

On the other hand, you cannot make use of an add-on while your account is suspended.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Ok here is a question 

Public says add on does not expire (long distance or data)

BUT

What happens if your account goes into suspended status?

If you did not pay your bill one month would you lose the add on remaining minutes/data?

JaK
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi @Korth

Yes, add-on data is not used until your plan data is all used up, and does not expire.

However, no unused plan that does not rollover.

So a 200MB Data Add-on essentially never expires and stays available until it is all used up (after all your normal Data is all used up)?

Does unused Data from your plan also rollover?

aaronmartin
Thanks guys, that really helped and I think it's a very good idea to have no overages. No unexpected Bill amounts and mad customers!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ute1978 @JaK @kav2001c great collective explanation 🙂

@aaronmartin welcome to the Public Mobile community!  Hopefully your question has been answered.  It's a bit of a tough call sometimes picking the "right" amount of data for your plan.  On the one hand, it's a lot cheaper to buy the data up front as part of your plan, though if you significantly under-utilize it, then it feels like you're throwing away money too.  But it is generally cheaper up front.

For example, the difference between a 6GB/90 day plan and a 12GB/90 day plan is $55, or abour $9.17 per GB.  Compare that to the $30/1 GB add on plan, and you can see the add-ons are a lot more exansive.  In this example, it would cost $180 to buy the equivalent 6 extra GB, a premium of $125 over having bought the larger plan.  This is probably an extreme example, but it does illustrate my point.  

If you only anticipate going over by a small amount, the add-ons are great and it's not worth paying for the next plan up, but if you anticipate needing nearly a full 1GB add-on, or worse yet multiple 1GB add-ons before your renewal, then it may well be better to buy the next size up plan (in your case, 4GB/90 days) up front.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

@aaronmartin you won't be billed for overages, it will simply cut off your data until you buy more or your next bill cycle starts

JaK

Hi @aaronmartin, welcome to the PM community! 

@ute1978 has nicely covered off you second question about buying additional data. To your first question as what happens when you run out, data will stop working on your account. Data will start again when the next cycle starts or when you buy a data add-on, though you may need to power cycle your phone for it to take effect. (PM uses prepaid services so never charges overages).

ute1978

When the data is used up, you can buy additional data via the Self-Serve account:

- 200 MB of data for $10

- 1GB of data for $30

The good thing is that those add ons don't expire at the end of the cycle.... and unused data is also carried over to the next cycle.

Need Help? Let's chat.