Did you mean: 

What does does symbol mean????

fdrcamb519
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi everyone what does this symbol mean at end of post. Thank you 

FFD8EE2A-408E-480B-B827-946C5C94F348.jpeg

13 REPLIES 13

Example: My previous post. 😁

Here I use the web inspector/developer tools to look at the S element in question. We can see it has a style name that includes "notext" and the label is "Contains no next" - meaning on a desktop browser, that text will popup if you over your mouse over.

notext8.png

@Anonymous 

But I am referring to the very first post in a topic that by the time I see it all there is there is the "Strike through S". The subsequent posts seemed to know much more of what was being asked than what the subject title indicates. But when I get to it I can't tell what the original question was. I know others seem to read between the lines better than I do, I will watch for more examples.

AE_Collector

Anonymous
Not applicable

There's also a little Play button like audio/video that can be at the end of a subject line if someone includes that kind of attachment.

@AE_Collector : I've seen it frequently. I highly doubt the OP goes back and clears their post.

I just think it's newbs not understanding how to post and maybe not great at English and so barely say something with a couple words leaving the community to extract what their problem is and what direction to go. And then leave without a peep.

If you write something in a post that is subsequently shown to be incorrect you might go back and remove what you typed but it is more correct to go back and strike out the incorrect part so as not to make posts that came after yours hard to follow while also showing that what you typed is not correct.

Is it even possible to start a topic with nothing other than a title...no other text? I see the big S frequently in the initial post of new topics and assumed that the OP got their answer and then attempted to delete their post. Never cool in my mind as others can learn from the post too. It devalues the time other community members invested in answering the question.

AE_Collector

@fdrcamb519  did you mean the one that is in the toolbar?

if you use that it will strikethrough all your words. I'm not super sure why anyone would use that unless they are trying to hide a secret but actually want everyone to know. Like this:

I enjoy tea on my front porch but I won't tell anyone because I don't think it's manly.

Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 9.49.46 AM.png

fdrcamb519
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Thank you for clearing that. I meant the S symbol. Thank you 

@totalUser wrote:

@iliketotalk 

I see what you mean, there is a little confusion about which symbol.

@fdrcamb519 took a picture of it and placed it in the message. But then another symbol showed up at the end of that message.

I think they meant the symbol inside the message and not at the end their post title. Metalanguage kinda issue I guess

Screenshot_20200414-090432~2.png

That symbol is the strike-through symbol. But as everyone else has said, It is when someone puts up a subject but doesn't give any details in the message 🙂 

It seems to happen to many new people to the community. 

@totalUser ok thank you for that clarification🤔

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

@iliketotalk 

I see what you mean, there is a little confusion about which symbol.

@fdrcamb519 took a picture of it and placed it in the message. But then another symbol showed up at the end of that message.

I think they meant the symbol inside the message and not at the end their post title. Metalanguage kinda issue I guess

Screenshot_20200414-090432~2.png

@gblackma wrote:

@fdrcamb519  it means that the message field is empty. Stay safe. 

@gblackma if you click on the symbol it say's it contain an image 

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@fdrcamb519  it means that the message field is empty. Stay safe. 

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@fdrcamb519 it contains an image

Need Help? Let's chat.