cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does Canada-wide plan mean to Public Mobile?

TK
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

A long as I know a Canada-wide plan means that you could make calls from anywhere in Canada to any number in Canada.

The $30 plan includes 500 MB and UNLIMITED Talk Canada-wide. But, PM had a special definirion for Canada-wide in the description.

"Includes outgoing calls you make anywhere in Canada to a number with an area code in the same province, and incoming calls you receive while you are in your home province. A long distance talk add-on is required to receive incoming calls while you are outside your home province"

Anybody could comment on this special Canada-wide plans.

16 REPLIES 16

ruif71
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Canada Wide means any calls to and from Canada.

Sound like you got mixed up wtih Province-wide plans.

Thecrimson1919

@macmira wrote:

I have the Canada wide talk plan but when a call a provincial number in my own province it says I may incur long distance charges. Why? 

Assumed province wide for free calls in plan. Please advise 

Sent moderators a message last night but no answer yet!!!!!!!!!!

No help with answer from moderators. 

This always happens when you make a long distance call with any provider. The network doesn't know your plan...the billing system does is the most basic way to explain it .

Kayleedawn25

@smdd ...technically nothing is 'free' as you get what you pay for with Public Mobile. If the plan you have paid for has Canada wide calling included then you can make calls within Canada without paying exxtra, and the beauty of Public Mobile is that since it is pre paid not post paid like many Canadian cell phone companies you cannot be charged for services you have not already paid for.  No more going over your data or minutes and getting a 'surprise' in th email for hundreds of dolllars for unknowingly 'going over.' 

smdd

thanks!

(and i did do my experiment - a short call to my mom - and wasn't charged extra.... hooray!)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@smdd wrote:

this was my Q as well. but no one, in the replies, implicitly states that canada wide calls are FREE. this is the magic word i want to hear. 

as a test/experiment i called what should be a long distance number within my province and see if i am given as additional charge

This provider does not do extra, surprise, overage charges.

You want to hear the word FREE. You pay for your calling plan that *includes* being able to call Canada-wide. It's not free. It's just included. And again...no extra surprise overage charges.

But srlawren above describes things so splendidly.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@smdd wrote:

this was my Q as well. but no one, in the replies, implicitly states that canada wide calls are FREE. this is the magic word i want to hear. 

as a test/experiment i called what should be a long distance number within my province and see if i am given as additional charge

@smdd you absolutely 100% cannot possibly receive any additional charge from Public Mobile.  I you want to do something that's not included in your plan, you would have to pre-purchase an add-on to do so.  If you try to do something for which you do not have an add-on and is not included in your plan, you will just be unable to do that thing.  

If you want to hear the word "FREE" then yes, if you have Canada-wide calling, it is free to receive a call from anywhere in the world as well as free to dial any Canadian phone number, while you are physically in Canada and connected to a Canadian cell tower.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

smdd

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@macmira dial the number as 1XXXYYYZZZZZ and ignore the message, and the call will connect fine.  You can't get charged for long distance after the fact with Public Mobile.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

I don't know what province you're in but I will use Ontario as an example.

If I want to call a phone number in London, from Brantford, it's a 'long distance' call as the 'local calling area' for Brantford doesn't include London.  The Public Mobile network will switch your call over to long distance, but as it's in the same province, you will not incure a charge.

Sadly, we're still working with 3 levels of calls:  Local, Provincial, Canada-wide.

macmira
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have the Canada wide talk plan but when a call a provincial number in my own province it says I may incur long distance charges. Why? 

Assumed province wide for free calls in plan. Please advise 

Sent moderators a message last night but no answer yet!!!!!!!!!!

No help with answer from moderators. 

You're right - it was a error having that disclaimer on the page with Canada-wide plan. It's now been removed.

Thanks

David_J

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@TK wrote:

A long as I know a Canada-wide plan means that you could make calls from anywhere in Canada to any number in Canada.

The $30 plan includes 500 MB and UNLIMITED Talk Canada-wide. But, PM had a special definirion for Canada-wide in the description.

"Includes outgoing calls you make anywhere in Canada to a number with an area code in the same province, and incoming calls you receive while you are in your home province. A long distance talk add-on is required to receive incoming calls while you are outside your home province"

If you look that description has a reference number that is also listed on the Province Wide calling plan.

Canada wide is being able to MAKE or RECEIVE calls any where in Canada.  You can call any Canadian Number anywhere within Canada

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

LEGO
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

It is just a leftover from Province-wide calling plans description! Woman Wink

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Nice catch! It seems like they did not make the change in the description. If you get this plan, i am sure you will be on a Canada wide talk and you exactly know what it means.

If you look carefully, the term is marked as #2 and that only applies to Province-wide talk as mentioned above. 

jp2
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

While you are connected to a cell tower anywhere in Canada you can call any number with a Canadian area code 

@TK wrote:

The part that you have inside the quotation marks only applies to provincial calling plans. 

Canada-wide calling means simply what you said in the very sentence of your post for outgoing calls, and nothing more.  You can also receive calls while anywhere in Canada.   Hope that helps.

Need Help? Let's chat.