cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are Public Mobile's plans once 5G arrives in the next few years.

WoozyPolarBear
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Just wondering what will happen with Public Mobile's plans once 5G speeds arrive in Canada in 2021 and beyond? Since Public Mobile is a budget focused brand, will we still be getting 3G speeds, or do you think everyone will jump up a notch. For Example, Telus users get mirgrated up to 5G plans, and Public Mobile users will upgrade to 4G LTE, still one speed gerneration below the current max.

38 REPLIES 38

WoozyPolarBear

@Triguy wrote:

4G speeds will actually get faster as more people migrate to 5G allowing more bandwidth.  It will take several years for 5G infrastructure to be built as more small cells are needed.  It is hard to say if PM will offer 5G being a third tier provider.  They may transition to more 4G plans instead of moving to 5G.

That's what I was getting at. When 5G arrives, that's when I think Public Mobile would upgrade the speeds from 3G to 4G LTE. Being a discount brand, and staying one tier below the fastest speeds.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

4G speeds will actually get faster as more people migrate to 5G allowing more bandwidth.  It will take several years for 5G infrastructure to be built as more small cells are needed.  It is hard to say if PM will offer 5G being a third tier provider.  They may transition to more 4G plans instead of moving to 5G.

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

Probably all true. But to be honest, Public Mobile will have to somewhat keep up with the newer technology. In 10 years from now, 3Mbps speed will be the equivalent as having a cassette tape deck in a new car.

Telus still supplies 8-track wifi speed and thinks its ok so i dont see an upgrade anytime soon. Almost 2 1/2 hours on the phone the other day fixing the WiFi from 0.4 mbps back up to 50mbps to wake up yesterday and it's back down to 2.1mbps.....

DL888

Wait and see....I guess

brid0nca
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just slap a 5G label on  it, and you are good.  It was already done with throttled LTE, and calling it 3G.  

5G advantages are only going to be good in congested areas.  In the rest of the country, LTE willl have to do.  Fortunately, there is a lot of LTE bandwidth bought to cover that, just not in really dense areas when 5G will be a boon.

WoozyPolarBear

Probably all true. But to be honest, Public Mobile will have to somewhat keep up with the newer technology. In 10 years from now, 3Mbps speed will be the equivalent as having a cassette tape deck in a new car.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

It will probably depend on  What chatr an lucky do. To be honest I don't see 5g or full 4g coming here for a long while if ever. This is the 3rd tier brand so don't expect much in terms of innovation. You will probably see migration offers to koodo first which I believe is the ultimate objective.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Stay safe

Need Help? Let's chat.