cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What 4G frequency bandwidth is used by Public Mobile in their 4G Broadcasts.

Azhanif
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

25 REPLIES 25

David
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
Well, you learn something new everyday!

Thanks for the info, @jchakkal

jchakkal
The PCS-G spectrum is used as the primary band for Sprint LTE network in the states so it can be said that handsets for this band are ubiquitous!

Every modern phone has Band 25 in it. iphone 5, 6 nexus 5,6 and so many others

And since Sprint also owns Band 26 there's many phones with that too

So the story basically is, Telus and Sprint have many bands frequencies in common so as long as Sprint keeps making new handsets, Telus will be able to make use of these frequencies

David
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Will be interesting to see what will happen with their PCS-G spectrum.

Currently, they (Telus) are the only holders of such frequency in Canada (from the Public buyout) as it was considered an orphan freq back in 2008's AWS auction.

Interestingly, Sprint (Sprint Nextel back then) also holds PCS-G spectrum, but recently withdrew from bidding on PCS-H blocks in the US.

So it's a toss as to what will happen.

I hope it's not just wasted, though. But without broader support, I doubt phone manufacturers will be compelled to make modern handsets with support with these frequencies.

Money (or lack of it) will ultimately be the answer.

Yes. That appears very accurate

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
@Martin, What @jchakkal wrote is 100% accurate

Martin
Legend
Legend
chuk,

As you know, I like to ensure that the frequencies and bands that I quote are compatible on the PM/Koodo/Telus network.

Considering the extensive research that the above poster did, I'm curious to know whether you agree, disagree, or agree with some and disagree with other aspects of it.

jchakkal

I have done extensive research on spectrum in Canada so just to add to this conversation and make it VERY Clear.

Telus owns the following frequencies in Canada:

CLR 850 MHz

PCS 1900 MHz

AWS-1 1700/2100 MHz

MBS 700 MHz

SMR 800 MHz

AWS-3 1700/2100 MHz

BRS 2600 MHz (Pending completion of spectum auction this month)

* They have a CDMA Network which will be shut down very soon. No point in discussing this.

* They do not have a 2G GSM Network, their CDMA Network was their "2G" Network

3G Bands in Use:

850 MHz (They own in BC, AB, QC and share with Bell in the Rest of Canada)

1900 MHz Nationwide

4G LTE Bands in Use:

BAND 4 (AWS-1) -- Nationwide, This is their PRIMARY LTE Band across Canada

BAND 5 (CLR) -- They have begun using this band for LTE in BC/AB and Maybe QC

BAND 2 (PCS) -- They have also started using this band for LTE across Canada

BAND 12/17 (MBS) -- This has also been deployed Nationwide, mainly in Manitoba at the moment

FUTURE 4G LTE Bands:

BAND 25 (PCS-G) -- This is the spectrum they bought from the original Public Mobile

BAND 26 (SMR) -- This will be in use once they shut down the existing MIKE network

BAND ?? (AWS-3) -- This will be deployed as soon as handsets come out that support it

BAND 7 (BRS) -- It is expected that Telus will win spectrum in the auction this month

So there you have it. A clear dataset of exactly what TELUS has and what you need to look out for when you purchase your next LTE handset

The more bands, the better! But to be safe, make sure no matter what -- Your handset has LTE BAND 4

Azhanif

Hi Martin

Thanks again for the information. Will check RFD out as suggested.

Cheers

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello again,

In light of the fact that you purchased a Zen phone, you might want to frequent a group of similar users. Google Red Flag Deals, and look for the group for cellular users. The questions posed and answers given are polite and intelligent. Should you have a non-PM question or concern about your phone, that's the online group to join.

Though I have a Moto G, I visit RFD on a daily basis in order to acquire information that may prove relevant here.

Under normal circumstances, I would post the link to RFD, but, unfortunately, I can't copy and paste from one web page to another.

If you have a data plan, and if your phone is like the Moto G, it will automatically update all your apps in the background, using data. To prevent this, enable update by Wi-Fi only as soon as you turn your phone on.

Azhanif

Hi Martin,
Very Gd. Morning to you.
The ASUS Zen Phone seems like a killer. It runs on an Intel Atom processor @ quad Core speeds and has 4 GB Ram for the top end model.
The one I selected has a similar processor but with 2 GB Ram and 32 GB built in memory expandable to 64 GB via micro SD card.
The camera is 13 MP and front camera 5 MP.
All in all it appears to be having some cool features way exceeding most other phones available in the $ 350 range.
Cheers

Martin
Legend
Legend
Good morning!

With regard to the 2G SIM slot, there's no point, as far as functionality, in having a card there as Telus does not transmit on 2G.

I guess the only benefit in having that slot would be to carry an extra PM card there, just in case the first one becomes wonky.

You sound excited about your new phone.

Good luck!

Azhanif

Hey Martin. Thanks for the information. I have still not got the phone to hand, but soon will. The phone is dual sim compatible with one SIM slot that supports only 2G SIM and the second slot supporting both 3G & 4G SIM. 

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

I hope that you enjoy using your new phone.

Cheers.

Azhanif

Thanks guys. Appreciate your feedback. Cheers

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi,

Since PM does not support 2G, you will not encounter any problems using your phone on the Telus network, which is 3G and 4G LTE.

In North America, 2G is more a relic of the past than anything else.

When using the Telus network, don't bother thinking about 2G as it plays no part in the functioning of your phone.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi,

The Telus network does not support 2G
phones; therefore, the question is moot.

Rogers, for instance, supports 2G, which is slow and not as technologically advanced as 3G.

I'm glad that I was able to help you.

Cheers.

Azhanif

Does a smart phone need to have 2G compatibility to work on Public Mbl network. The Asus Zen 2 is compatible on the 3G and 4G Networks. Will thre be an issue to make regular cellular calls if it is incompatible on the 2G network

Azhanif

Hey Martin that was useful info. Did try and result was the ASUS works on 3G & 4G but not on 2G. Does this mean no rugular GSM voice calls 

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

To be extra certain about your phone, go to www.willmyphonework.net

Remember that your phone must be unlocked to work on the Telus network. For a few dollars on eBay, you can find an unlock code. If you want PM to unlock it, it is $50 plus HST.

Azhanif

Thanks guys. Guess the new Asus Zen 2 Phone should work. Any of you guys had the chance of checking it out

OK. That's an excellent point

Martin
Legend
Legend
makkahn28,

The poster asked about frequencies and bandwidth, and that's what I provided.

As far as LTE-enabled phones, it's my understanding that the phone seamlessly switches from one to another, depending upon whether data or voice is used.

In cases of problematic phones, I can see one manually switching settings.

@Martin, you forgot to mention to @Azhanif, that the LTE 1700-2100 MHZ for time being can only be used for Data, Not talking yet, Only on the 3G 850-1900 MHZ is that used for Chatting, and Data as well. HSPA+4G LTE, if you have a phone that's LTE-enabled, you must switch LTE mode off if you want to chat

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello again,

If you're curious about the 3G frequencies that PM/Koodo/Telus use, they are 850 MHz and 1900 MHz.

I hope that my answers addressed your question.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

The 4G LTE frequencies used are 1700 MHz and 2100 MHz (AWS Band 4).

Telus, the parent company, recently acquired 700 MHz. When made available, it will become 4G LTE-A (A for advanced).

Cheers.
Need Help? Let's chat.