Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart Rep Refusing to Sell SIM without Activation

ranmercer
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Store: Walmart

Rep Name: Dhruv

To take advantage of the $25 credit, self-activation promotion currently, I went to Walmart to buy a SIM only. 

The associate named Dhruv refused to sell me the SIM alone, even though a different associate offered to sell the SIM alone one week ago. 

Dhruv said that he works for OSL not Wal-Mart and that this is a new policy that OSL implemented a month ago. I called him out politely and told him about the associate selling me only the SIM (without activation) 1 week prior. He started getting aggressive and adamantly refused to sell me only SIM (likley because he wanted his Commission).

I then told him that I would write into Telus, public mobile and Walmart, citing this experience and the misleading information. He did not care.

I spoke to a customer service manager, explained to her that I was able to buy a SIM alone week prior and that the current sales rep named Dhruv was denying me the purchase today, likely because he wanted to activate to get the commission. I also told her that I would be escalating to public mobile, Walmart, and Telus how about this false and misleading information.

She was awesome. She marched over to Dhruv and told him that he has to sell me the SIM alone. He tried to tell her the same garbage about OSL requiring him to activate, but she cited my experience from one week ago about purchasing the SIM alone, and he gave in and sold it to me.

Therefore, I suggest that if a Walmart OSL customer service rep denies you the SIM alone without activation, approach a customer service Manager, and tell them you had bought a SIM alone just yesterday or that your friend had bought one just yesterday, and therefore what the rep is saying is false and misleading. Also tell them that you will write into head office at Walmart, Telus, and public mobile. That should get them quickly moving to have the sell you the SIM.

Aside, can someone from Public Mobile contact the Rexdale Wal-Mart immediately to inform the OSL Sales Reps that they must sell SIM alone if customer requests? Store phone: (416) 747-6499

Thank you!

17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Good1 wrote:

Walmart wouldn't activate my friend's phone either.

Were you meaning them not wanting to sell just a SIM? Or are you saying they wouldn't activate it for some reason?

Besides...get the SIM and 30 days free if you activate in a store this weekend.

Good1
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Walmart wouldn't activate my friend's phone either.

k2k
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Very useful advice. 
Doesn't matter now because PM has an even better promo this weekend where they encourage customers to activate in store with walmart as you can get a FREE sim and second month free for any plan.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@phuhuu wrote:

Tactic worked for me - but really wish I didn't need to go through the stress if I was informed about the new promo for the second month free + save the cost of the SIM. Feel frustrated 😞

Yeah I know how you feel. My first month here there were two promos inside of that month. I went to Walmart to get a SIM. Signed up some time later online. I'm a couple hours away from my nearest Walmart so I buy ahead. Then I read about these promos coming and going. Crap.

PM made up for it with a little somethin' somethin'. So that was nice. Not all of it 🙂

They do have promos for existing customers on occasion but I would suggest that they do something like a price protection for new customers in their first month. If a promo would fit your needs then you should be able to enjoy it in that first month. 'Cuz otherwise it sucks to see that you blew money that you wouldn't've needed to.

phuhuu

Tactic worked for me - but really wish I didn't need to go through the stress if I was informed about the new promo for the second month free + save the cost of the SIM. Feel frustrated 😞

This is getting out of hand, walmart refusing to sell sim cards.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@minhhho wrote:

Thank you! Just went to walmart and used your strategy! Fantastic!

Heck...with the latest promotion on now go to that Walmart over the weekend and get a SIM and activate it there and you get a free SIM and a free 30 days service. No strategy required. They're happy. You're happy. Win Win.

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am you're saying Koodo dealers now sell PM SIM cards?  Did I miss an announcement??

It was a "soft roll out".  I am not sure there has been a total roll out to all Koodo authorized dealers have been completed.  The couple of stores near me have the Public Mobile SIMs for sale.  Best to call before going.  This is for Koodo authorized dealers only (franchise stores, not ones owned by corproate).

@will13am why am I hearing about this here?  Is there an announcement thread for this?  This is actually pretty big news.  Weird that it's not corp stores, why would Koodo want their dealers selling the SIMs but not their corp stores?  I'm confused still.

Maybe I should have kept my big mouth shut and not steal anyone's thunder.  I don't have the PM designation next to my name.  I can't answer these questions. 

minhhho

Thank you! Just went to walmart and used your strategy! Fantastic!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@will13am wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am you're saying Koodo dealers now sell PM SIM cards?  Did I miss an announcement??

It was a "soft roll out".  I am not sure there has been a total roll out to all Koodo authorized dealers have been completed.  The couple of stores near me have the Public Mobile SIMs for sale.  Best to call before going.  This is for Koodo authorized dealers only (franchise stores, not ones owned by corproate).

@will13am why am I hearing about this here?  Is there an announcement thread for this?  This is actually pretty big news.  Weird that it's not corp stores, why would Koodo want their dealers selling the SIMs but not their corp stores?  I'm confused still.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren wrote:

closng
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Good job for sticking it to them @ranmercer 😉

Happy to hear you managed to snatch a SIM card in the end.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@ranmercer, Koodo authorized dealers have started selling SIM cards also.  Good to call out the bad actors.  These stores need to be avoided.  Personally, I don't shop at Walmart for bad customer service and other reasons. 

cappaj
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@ranmercer wrote:

Thanks for the link. I've messaged the Mods and hopefully they circle back confirming that they've made contact with that location.  I have to go back to buy 2 more SIMs for family members wanting to switch to PM!!

You could see if there's a WOW mobile boutique anywhere near you, others have had better success there buying SIMs without activating (that was my experience today!). I'd recommend calling ahead just to be sure they'll do that though, to help save yourself any wasted travel time or waiting-in-line time.

ranmercer
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks for the link. I've messaged the Mods and hopefully they circle back confirming that they've made contact with that location.  I have to go back to buy 2 more SIMs for family members wanting to switch to PM!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ranmercer, Good for you for sticking to your guns and forcing the issue.  In order to ensure Public Mobile is aware, You might want to send a private message to the moderators.  I beleive they were collecting information about retailers that refused to sell PM SIMS.

Click here to send the moderator team a private message. Their hours are: Mon-Fri 9AM-9PM(EST) & Sat/Sun 9AM-7:30PM(EST)
You can find information regarding the moderator team by following this link.

Welcome to Public mobile!

Need Help? Let's chat.