cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volte and Wifi Calling, Do PM care?

hassanroble
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

anyone alse noticed PM price Hike eventhough we lack things like volte and wifi calling?

when i joined PM the price was very competitive but today it feels like I am paying more for less!

34 REPLIES 34

@BearFBI 

More to the point for the OP the koodo $60/14gb plan was a limited time offer (so no flexibility in changing plans) and is no longer on offer....but back to $60/10gb with that "shock-free" $13/100mb for extra data on the account if needed! The OP would pay $16 more per month for 0.5mb less data.

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@hassanroble If you dont care about 4G speed you could make a plan change to the new monthly 50$ 10.5GB plan at 3G speed.

You mentioned Koodo offering a 14GB plan for 60$. I wouldn't switch to it if I were you.

Since you have the Fall 2016 promo I can assume you've been a customer for at least 4 years. Thats 4$ off with loyalty and 2$ off with autopay. Assuming you dont have any other rewards, 6$ off of 50 is 44$. 

If you are okay with switching to the new 50$ plan and having 3G speeds, Are you really going to want to pay 16$ extra for the koodo plan with only 3.5GB of more data that you probably wont even use ?, Also those prices with koodo can change in the future and slowly increase, Here at PM your plan will be grandfathered. Also you wont get any of the freebies.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 : Concern about speed wasn't the point. It's that the plan placed data add-ons in at 4G. And answering gpixel4's question about the minutes.

I also have a boatload of data and minutes across my three accounts. I have a decent balance on one, I have a bit of a balance on another and my third account I just keep alive. All on the $10 plan. I'll say it again...I ain't goin' nowhere.

@darlicious wrote:

@computergeek541 

That's if you are paying for the data. I have 13gb of free data on my $10 account and every 3 months I "earn" enough to buy another $15/1gb on top of the 6 more I could buy with the current account balance.

If data is being used that infrequently, I would say that many would not be concerned  much about the speed.

@computergeek541 

That's if you are paying for the data. I have 13gb of free data on my $10 account and every 3 months I "earn" enough to buy another $15/1gb on top of the 6 more I could buy with the current account balance.

@Anonymous 

Me too!

@Anonymous wrote:

@gpixel : The old $10 plan had 50 minutes total Canada-wide and 50 outgoing texts with unlimited incoming texts. It didn't come with data. But it was eligible for data add-ons. And at that time data add-ons were provisioned according to your plan data where customers were once able to choose between 3G or 4G. Or if no data then it came in at 4G. I love add-ons around here.

That really only works out well for the absolute lightest of data users. $15 for 1GB is just a terrible price if you're going to be using your data in an signifcant amoutns on a regular basis.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gpixel : The old $10 plan had 50 minutes total Canada-wide and 50 outgoing texts with unlimited incoming texts. It didn't come with data. But it was eligible for data add-ons. And at that time data add-ons were provisioned according to your plan data where customers were once able to choose between 3G or 4G. Or if no data then it came in at 4G. I love add-ons around here.

@gpixel 

The $10 plan is Canada wide....all 50 minutes of it.

@gpixel 

Gotcha......and I did say If......

@darlicious I understand what they said. what I'm saying is their plan doesn't come with full LTE speed. that was a promo plan with 3g speed

is the $10 plan a province wide or Canada wide plan? I don't believe public would offer both Canada wide and full LTE speed as that would be too great of a value

@gpixel 

To quote the OP:

" I have Canada wide plan with 18+6GB for 3 months and i pay 150 which comes down to 8GB/month for $50."

If the OP has full speed 4G LTE averaging $50/8gb then in market plans would only add the 500mb autopay bonus but lower the data speed. The deal the OP has is pretty darn good for pm.

full speed LTE plans did not come with Canada wide talking. 

*I'm just guessing, but I hope I'm right 😂

BearFBI

@hassanroble wrote "i am on single sim phone. what other better carriers you suggest? "

I can suggest another one but forget about it. It won't work with a single SIM phone because the talk and Data are on separate SIM's. Just stay with PM. Your on a pretty sweet plan. 

BearFBI

@darlicious "If the OP has full speed 4G LTE averaging $50/8gb then in market plans would only add the 500mb autopay bonus but lower the data speed. The deal the OP has is pretty darn good for pm."

Ohh right. Forgot about the 4G LTE.

@Anonymous

Sorry I misread the post....its 14GB of shockfree data followed by a SHOCKING $133/1GB overage bill!

@BearFBI 

If the OP has full speed 4G LTE averaging $50/8gb then in market plans would only add the 500mb autopay bonus but lower the data speed. The deal the OP has is pretty darn good for pm.

@hassanroble  

Here is an excellent deal being offered by best buy and TMS for fido/koodo/virgin ( I would choose virgin over all else....) $40/10gb for 24 months but read the small print!

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/mobile-shop-fido-virgin-koodo-40-10gb-byop-2455311/

hassanroble

i am on single sim phone. what other better carriers you suggest? 

BearFBI

@hassanroble You have to remember that the plan your on is a old grandfathered plan. Plans have lowered in cost here over the years. If PM were to make your plan again I bet it would be cheaper. 

The thing is that PM is focusing on lower data buckets. Once you start going with bigger plans PM isint that competitive anymore even with the big 3. It also seems like you don't take advantage of rewards and if thats the case then I would look somewhere elese.

I can suggest some carriers to you that blows everything mentioned here out of the water but I need to know, do you have a dual SIM phone ?

hassanroble

I don't think i am high data user. PM isnt competing thats all. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious wrote:

However extra data on the $60/14gb plan is definetely not $4.29/1gb.

I was talking base plan. 60 / 14 = 4.29

@hassanroble 

You are a high data user you will be ultimately better served with better priced data at another provider. However extra data on the $60/14gb plan is definetely not $4.29/1gb. It is in fact $13/100mb=$133/1gb. I would not want to go over your included data on that plan!

Screenshot_20210330-185421~2.png

hassanroble

I have 24gb for 3 months and halfway through its down to 5 or 6gb left. And guess what, if i would have to buy an addon Data it won't be 6 dollars/gig for sure. A similar plan with14gb for 60/month and an actual customer services wont be better?? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hassanroble : I guess it comes down to what you need from your service. Seems you want all the data you can get. Do you actually use it all? Your average of 8gb/30 days? Yes $50 for 8gb comes to $6.25/gig and $60 for 14gb comes to $4.29/gig.

What I need from my service is the lowest base cost. This place grandfathers plans. As you are enjoying with your old 90 day plan. I'm not going anywhere.

hassanroble

That is not my point. the whole idea i joined PM is to pay less on same or comparable plans from their compotators since we dont have actual customer service on call or in store. I have Canada wide plan with 18+6GB for 3 months and i pay 150 which comes down to 8GB/month for $50. comparing to that my recent offer from Koodo all same but have 14GB/month for $60.

Based on these differences, I am convinced that PM would have to outbid big companies to stay competitive or lose clients.    

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Sadly, this is how you feel when you are new to PM. If you ask some of us who are with PM for a few years can tell you that rewards help quite a bit to lower the monthly (30 days) cost. Rewards is the key with PM to save more than any other carrier. Good thing is they are letting us keep the same old plans we got it as a deal a while back, but their current plans are still offered at a great price when you include rewards into factor. Yes, we are not getting the same features as others, but saving on monthly cost feels great. 

@WoozyPolarBear lol. that's probably a good idea. it was a good ride though 😉

let's be thankful for the savings we have achieved!

WoozyPolarBear
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If it wasn't for rewards I have already built up, I would have been long gone. I used to gain about 4-5 referrals a month, but haven't gotten a single referral in the past 3 months now. As of last week, I am no longer referring to Public Mobile and have switched my referral efforts to a different brand.

@hassanroble 

I just looked at the competitions plans and they are all pretty much the same with ever so slight differences. Yes there may well be a $5 price increase for Canada-wide calling which if it happens a savvy pm province-wide customer would just add the $5/500 min add on to supplement their plan unless they need to call out of province more than 8 hours per month.

Public mobile is still the only provider who gives you the ability to lower your bill by doing nothing (autopay $2+loyalty rewards $1-$5=up to $7 off your bill monthly) and proactively ( community $1-$15 monthly + friend referrals up to $110 off your bill monthly). No other provider would willingly bill you $0 per month.

the best value plans pm ever had was last year with a $10-12 savings over Koodo prepaid/postpaid plans. now it's more like $5-7, but pm still dominates the add-ons area. all Koodo has over pm is full LTE. which kind of justifies the current pricing with both tiers

it puts it into perspective on how good the plans really were before. if PM stays with Canada wide plans at the regular prices and Koodo prepaid keeps their prices at what they are without a discount. we will recover our $10-12 savings. 

Need Help? Let's chat.