cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VolTE?

kutzki
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I know this point has been talked about a lot but I recently read this article: http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/05/02/telus-voice-over-lte-volte-ontario/

Does that mean we now have VOLTE? I know it's the same network, should we not be able to use it? If this is the case, does this also mean that voice calls using LTE will count as our minutes, like it does in the US? Will VoLTE calls at least be counted as minutes when PM does have access to this? THANKS!

18 REPLIES 18

Haha thanks!

Quest

@sheytoon wrote:

All operators (even discount sub-brands like PM) will have to offer VoLTE eventually as the old 3G network is decommissioned. It's just a matter of time, though it is still many years away. Once VoLTE is universally deployed and supported on all phones, the user experience will be well worth it. Call setup time is near instant, voice quality is incredible (especially with AMR-WB or EVS codecs), and you can browse at LTE speeds while dialed in to a boring conference call at work 🙂

No one could describe it better than @sheytoon Smiley Happy

Quest

@shawnie_boy

I forgot to add that PM is Fully On Line Service but it doesn't make any difference if you are a little bit tech savvy.

In case of using your phone for a business you will have to ask for copy of you invoices. Your account on line will show you only basic information.

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

All operators (even discount sub-brands like PM) will have to offer VoLTE eventually as the old 3G network is decommissioned. It's just a matter of time, though it is still many years away. Once VoLTE is universally deployed and supported on all phones, the user experience will be well worth it. Call setup time is near instant, voice quality is incredible (especially with AMR-WB or EVS codecs), and you can browse at LTE speeds while dialed in to a boring conference call at work 🙂

Quest

@shawnie_boy

You are the only one who has to do the math in terms of savings, because I don't know how much you will be paying for your Corporate Plan with Rogers in the future.

Although PM is on the best Telus/Bell network. Every network have its black holes so be sure that in places that you frequently visit there are non.

If you want to save, you probably will be on Province Wide Talk and International Texting plus Canada Wide Data. If you talk a lot out of Province, Canada Wide Talk could be better choice for you but in that case your savings will be lower.

Telus have just recently implemented Name Display on their network. It is working already on Telus/Koodo so I think it should be working on PM, as well. With a exception of VoLte and Visual Voice Mail any new feature that Telus/Koodo have PM has, as well.

shawnie_boy

I'm coming from a really good rogers corp plan but that's going to go up very soon and I never get even close to my 6gb data so figured it was the time to try something new and pay less. Does PM have name display? I thought they didn't. 

Quest

@shawnie_boy

Probably for now in your case you should think about your savings. Even Koodo users don't have access to VoLte. PM will probably be the last one to get it, anyway.

The good news is that Telus implemented recently Name Display without any extra charge (unlike Rogers) on Koodo and PM as well.

Quest

@shawnie_boy wrote:
I'm switching from rogers and have volte. It only just recently got implement on iPhone 6. To be honest If I didn't know That it got implemented I would t have been able to notice any differences. It's a minor advantage but would be good if pm could implement it considering it's on a supported network.

@shawnie_boy

Welcome to PM. If you are switching from Rogers you are going definitely to save a lot of money here.

Regarding VoLte if you are using mostly data you really not going to see any difference but for talkers Smiley Happy it is going to make a huge difference especially when they constantly switching from voice to data and vice versa.

shawnie_boy
I'm switching from rogers and have volte. It only just recently got implement on iPhone 6. To be honest If I didn't know That it got implemented I would t have been able to notice any differences. It's a minor advantage but would be good if pm could implement it considering it's on a supported network.

jpar

I'd like to see voice over LTE eventually. The higher bitrate and call set up time is well worth it.

Quest

@kutzki  &  @echf

As you look at PM Community Discussions the most popular are the ones related to Data, Speed of Data and Phones. Sometimes even some Tech Savvy Folks don't know exactly what VolTE actually is and they don't care since they mostly communicate through texting and social media. The whole idea about smart phone is that it is your portable personal computer that happened to be a phone, as well.

For those remaining ones, that still mainly communicate through regular phone calls, that would be a great improvement in voice quality and dialing speed as long as they would have some small data plan because voice would be transmitted through LTE.

The problem is if people try it they'll love it and put more demand on networks to have it implemented faster. 

echf

Telus has NO plan bring VoLTE/VoWiFi to Public Mobile (according to an April article)

I always said don't be upset, since Koodo still didn't get it. Cat Happy

It's nice to have those new technologies. But have a doubt pm will offer voltre since its more like premium carriers offer those features. Pm is pure pay before use. Maybe in long-term they probably offer but I don't think in near future.
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

kutzki
Well, it's higher quality calls, whether we NEED it or not shouldn't really matter if it's a new technology for cell phones. I'm still waiting to see if RCS is going to come to Canada... properly 😛

mtfolks
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville
Exactly. Who actually makes phone calls these days?! 😂

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I make so few calls that it doesn't matter either way.  Do people want this because it is essential or is it another item for the trophy case?  This service being the bottom of the Telus food chain means we are likely to get sloppy seconds at best, likely thirds after Koodo.

mtfolks
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville
I could see it being offered at some point down the line but it probably isn't going to be something Telus sees as a priority feature to be offering on PM anytime soon.

xCameron94x
Mayor / Maire

Telus does have it, but its only for Telus Post-Paid. I can see it not coming here because this is pre-paid, and a no-frills provider

Need Help? Let's chat.