cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voicemail Mailbox Messaging - Can I send to a different service provider?

lcxf002
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

So I'm not talking about the voicemail where you call someone's number and it goes to their voicemail after they dont pick up. I'm talking about the voicemail where you dial your voicemail mailbox, "press 2" to record a message, get options to flag the message as "URGENT" or "PRIVATE", and then send the message to a mailbox number. I've tried sending a message to myself and it works, but I'm wondering if i can send a voicemail message to a US phone number (i have a US add-on), or in general any phone number that isn't from public mobile. When I try sending the recorded message to a US number, with or without an extension, it always says "the mailbox number is invalid" twice and then "thank you for using public mobile voicemail services" (as opposed to a successful "your message has been sent") Anyone know if it just doesnt work for different providers or if i have to dial a special mailbox number or something ? let me know, thanks !!

5 REPLIES 5

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@lcxf002 wrote:

So I'm not talking about the voicemail where you call someone's number and it goes to their voicemail after they dont pick up. I'm talking about the voicemail where you dial your voicemail mailbox, "press 2" to record a message, get options to flag the message as "URGENT" or "PRIVATE", and then send the message to a mailbox number. I've tried sending a message to myself and it works, but I'm wondering if i can send a voicemail message to a US phone number (i have a US add-on), or in general any phone number that isn't from public mobile. When I try sending the recorded message to a US number, with or without an extension, it always says "the mailbox number is invalid" twice and then "thank you for using public mobile voicemail services" (as opposed to a successful "your message has been sent") Anyone know if it just doesnt work for different providers or if i have to dial a special mailbox number or something ? let me know, thanks !!

When you dial your own voicemail and choose to leave a message for another number, you will be limited to recipients within Telus Mobility, Koodo, and Public Mobile which share the Telus Mobility voicemail service. Other providers in Canada, and other countries operate their own independent voicemail services which are not interconnected.

With that said, if you can figure out the voicemail deposit numbers for the provider in question, you may be able to leave a message for your intended recipient without ringing their phone. (Is that what you're really after?) For example, here is a list of all currently known numbers for Telus Mobility/Koodo/Public Mobile: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Updated-list-of-Voicemail-Access-N...

Some quick googing turned up these "back door" numbers for some US carriers, for example:

• T-Mobile 18056377243 (Spells 805-MESSAGE)
  • AT&T 888-288-8893
  • Verizon (509) 993-9200

I found this page which list a whole bunch for various US carriers:

@lcxf002 

I am sure our resident expert @Nezgar  on this subject would know the answer.

@lcxf002 

Unfortunately, only able to transfer voicemail message to other PM numbers.  Not to other carriers or international like US number.  

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hello @lcxf002 

Would these features be of some use to you?

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/call-forwarding

esjliv_0-1627817607542.png

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@lcxf002 wrote:

You can use a different voicemail service but you have to get it from another company.  You do it by using call forwarding. Call forwarding only works to Canadian phone numbers. 

Need Help? Let's chat.