cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voice over LTE

EnderX
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Is there any chance public will get  this?  I would love to have LTE still work when I am on the phone.  Also better call quality would be nice...

9 REPLIES 9

@Knockali wrote:

Not sure which technology Telus uses but the voice quality is amazing when both callers are using public mobile.  It's probably HD voice.

Yes, HD Voice, or AMR-WB "Adaptive Multi-rate Wideband" . it's a codec, independent of the type of network it is carried over.

In Saskatchewan, I can talk to those on Telus, Koodo, Public Mobile, and Bell and benefit from the HD voice codec, even on HSPA. I suspect I'd also get HD voice to Bell flaker brands Virgin & Lucky, but haven't confirmed yet.

I would also experience this codec when I was on Rogers, to other Rogers or Fido phones.

Interestingly no HD Voice to SaskTel, which is technically the towers Bell & Telus share from here in Saskatchewan...

Knockali
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Not sure which technology Telus uses but the voice quality is amazing when both callers are using public mobile.  It's probably HD voice. 

@srlawren, a total shutdown is many years away. I'd say at least 10 years away. But they may reduce the network to single band (either B2 or B5), in order to maintain basic services.

@Luddite, after a complete shutdown, 3G-only devices will become useless.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@sheytoon wrote:

Once Telus and Bell decide to shut down UMTS, they will need to encourage everyone to use LTE only, which means VoLTE for voice calls.

@sheytoon do you think this will happen anytime soon?  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Luddite wrote:

@sheytoon wrote:

In my personal opinion, VoLTE will definitely come to PM, but it might take a few more years.

Once Telus and Bell decide to shut down UMTS, they will need to encourage everyone to use LTE only, which means VoLTE for voice calls.

How will 3G only phones cope?

They won't.  Worry not, it took the carriers a gazillion years to kill off CDMA.  Remember Rogers is still running their 2G network. 

@sheytoon wrote:

In my personal opinion, VoLTE will definitely come to PM, but it might take a few more years.

How will 3G only phones cope?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

It's been announced recently for sister-brand Koodo with a caveat of "Bring your own phone(BYOD) from other carriers will not be compatible with this feature" as it requires a carrier-provided update. As it stands right now only one Koodo-purchased phone is able to take advantage of this (LG V30) with "more devices added soon". Whether that means currently available phones or only new models purchased going forward remains to be seen.

My understanding, however, is that most recent phones are capable of VoLTE but it has to be enabled by the carrier (via an update provided by them).

Seeing as PM doesn't even sell phones I'm not sure how these phones can be updated hence my thought is PM isn't going to be providing this anytime soon.

Hopefully someone with better knowledge of this tech will chime in because I'd like to know for sure myself.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@EnderX wrote:

Is there any chance public will get  this?  I would love to have LTE still work when I am on the phone.  Also better call quality would be nice...

I wouldn't hold my breathe while waiting for it to arrive on PM

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.