cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voice mail long distance

Thebee4
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just signed up with public mobile and purchased a plan that includes voice mail. Why am I getting a message saying I don't have Long distance on my plan (trying to call my voice mail box) I have a Canada wide call plan! That doesn't make sense... How can I fix this?

10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Thebee4 wrote:

I was finally able to access my voice box! The phone number for my voice mail contact was the one for when I was with Freedom Mobile....I edited the past number for my own cell number with the +1 at the beginning and it now works perfectly....Yes! problem solved.

Good to hear. The voicemail access number is usually set to something like +1 your area code 5804001.

It works to call your number but the access number is usually the one that gets automatically placed. Somewhere around here is a reference to all the access numbers.

Thebee4

I was finally able to access my voice box! The phone number for my voice mail contact was the one for when I was with Freedom Mobile....I edited the past number for my own cell number with the +1 at the beginning and it now works perfectly....Yes! problem solved.

Thebee4

Thank you for your answer! As a totally new member of PM, I find it difficult to understand the terms being used. Self Serve....is that the home page of Public Mobile? If yes where do I click on that page in order to change my voice mail number ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Thebee4 

It will reset to your 10 digit number.

There's also an option to bypass the password when accessing from the handset.

Thebee4

I did add the "+1" to my voice mail number and it stopped the long distance problem. But now it's asking for an access code. I've never had one before... I tried several combinations of some codes I normally use but nothing worked.  I use the phone number in my contact for my voice box (+1-647-700-1777).  Since my plan is supposed to include voice mail, do I need to use a different phone number for PM?

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Thebee4  That's just a warning so try dialing the number with +1 in front of it.

Another reason could be that you are dialing an incorrect number 

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@Thebee4 

You can try dialing a PM voicemail number with a different area code. Maybe local. But maybe "long distance" if you've ported your number from another province.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Updated-list-of-Voicemail-Access-N...

If you don't want to add "Voicemail" as a contact then dig around your phone settings. The voicemail number is usually hidden somewhere in there, and can usually be user edited.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Thebee4 I have added a +1 to all of my contacts and don't get the message. A bit of an initial pain to set up if you are super popular with lots of contacts lol but easier on an ongoing basis. Welcome to PM.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Thebee4 wrote:

I just signed up with public mobile and purchased a plan that includes voice mail. Why am I getting a message saying I don't have Long distance on my plan (trying to call my voice mail box) I have a Canada wide call plan! That doesn't make sense... How can I fix this?

The voicemail access number in your phone doesn't have a 1 in front. Or even +1.

Add that and then you should be good. The call still goes through right and you're able to get into your voicemail?

@Thebee4 wrote:

Are you calling your voicemail by holding the 1 key down?  I would check to see if your phone is actually dialing a 1 before the area code. Voicemail retrieval numbers can sometimes be in different cities, or sometimes, even different provinces.

Need Help? Let's chat.