cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Raises Plan Prices Another $5 In Ontario.

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

It seems like Virgin raised their plan prices again. This is the second time in at least the last 4 months. I am sure Koodo and Fido will follow once their promotions are over.  It will now cost you $50 for 500 daytime minutes and 500MB of data. The price has gone from $40 to $50.

24 REPLIES 24

jpar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Must be that "pricing discipline". 

kevin_camera
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

As long as they all don't all raise prices together, then I think we're ok.

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@mimmowrote:

Just a question but when are we allowed to talk competitor prices and when not allowed?  

Personally I am all for it. Both when pm is cheaper and more costly.  

@mimmo now you can because all pissed at PM LOL

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@mimmowrote:

Just a question but when are we allowed to talk competitor prices and when not allowed?  

A good question.  Not specified in the PM Website Terms.

I'm also all for comparing PM vs competitors.  It's been done frequently enough in past threads that PM evidently tolerates it (or at least hasn't established any rules against it that I can find).  Transparency is good, it paves the road to open communication and trust, even when the road sometimes travels through ugly places.

Although of course we wouldn't really know about or be able to find any content PM deemed intolerable and culled out, lol.

Apparently common sense and discretion rules here.  Comparisons are good, even necessary.  Nervous customers will like finding evidence of PM comparing favourably, critical customers will like finding evidence of PM comparing honestly.  But we don't want to encourage turning the PM Community forum into a free advertising platform for competitors, they already have their own websites for that.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

brainfreze
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Can concur. Check out these amaaaazing Alberta BYOP plans from the Virg! The 2GB plan is laughable!Screenshot_20180222-234704.jpg

@torontokriswrote:

@will13amwrote:

@srlawrenwrote:

@Michael77wrote:

It will now cost you $50 for 500 daytime minutes and 500MB of data. 

@Michael77 holy cow.  That....is awful.  Just....awful.

Time to move to the uk?

The UK is consistantly rated in the top 20/30 most expensive countries to live in. I had a cousin who lived there and said he was just working to pay rent. He moved back to Canada.

I guess it depends on where in the UK and the type of living quarters.  A buddy started working in the UK last year.  He is subletting a flat at 300 pounds a month.  It is not Taj Mahal living but it warm, comfortable, meets the basic needs for shelter. 

@imm1304wrote:

It appears to be a marketing gimmick. 

Inflate the regular prices and then have a 25% off and 50% off promos... make the customers beg and bargain for better deal and poor customers walk away thinking they got a better deal but in reality the whole market is rotten.  

Sort of makes you feel like shopping at the Bay.  The most embarrassing thing to ever have to admit to is paying full retail for an item at the Bay. 

Acekiller

there is no incentive for them to lower the price if there is no real competition. We need more companies like Freedom

Michael77

Maybe Virgin will rethink this one and lower their prices. Koodo and Fido still have not followed since they still have the $45- 2 gig, unlimited Canada-wide calling promotion on.

Lg85

$65 for 1 GB of data and unlimited Canada wide minutes at Virgin. The same plan on Public Mobile is $45 (with autopay) and $43 (with autopay) for the 90 day plan. At least a $20/month difference! Thieves! 

torontokris

@will13amwrote:

@srlawrenwrote:

@Michael77wrote:

Time to move to the uk?

The UK is consistantly rated in the top 20/30 most expensive countries to live in. I had a cousin who lived there and said he was just working to pay rent. He moved back to Canada.

Michael77

I think what happens is the phone companies come out with a promotion and then they think the customers have forgotten what the price was a week or two ago. They then price gauge us.

imm1304

It appears to be a marketing gimmick. 

Inflate the regular prices and then have a 25% off and 50% off promos... make the customers beg and bargain for better deal and poor customers walk away thinking they got a better deal but in reality the whole market is rotten.  

Michael77

This is terrible. This is a 25% increase in less than 4 months. It's just not fair for new accounts to pay so much money for "Less".

denkom

@will13am Agreed! 500 megs is a joke! 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

500 meg plans should be outlawed.  Who in their right mind would pay $50 a month for that?  I don't care how many movie coupons are included.  

@srlawrenwrote:

@Michael77wrote:

Time to move to the uk?

denkom

Yikes. Not impressed. Data should be getting cheaper not the other way around.

srlawren

@Michael77wrote:

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Michael77

@Ludditewrote:

@Michael77wrote:

@Ludditewrote:

Current accounts, or just new?

New acciunts. Take a look at their site. This is really sad. We need more competition. 

No need to look; I trust your young eyes. Robot wink

Thanks! LOL 🙂

@Michael77wrote:

@Ludditewrote:

New acciunts. Take a look at their site. This is really sad. We need more competition. 

No need to look; I trust your young eyes. Robot wink

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Michael77

@Ludditewrote:

New accounts. Take a look at their site. This is really sad. We need more competition. 

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
Need Help? Let's chat.