cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Plan

irritated
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm sure you heard by now about the  FREE Samsung A8 phone with 2 year contract on

$45/month  6GB LTE  unlimited canada wide calling plan from Virgin Mobile:

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/02/25/virgin-samsung-galaxy-a8/

You have to call in or go in store.

I have been happy with Public Mobile, but for the free $500 phone I am tempted to switch.

Any idea what to do?

I used to use Samsung J1 but is now very sluggish so borrowing my friends phone.

A8 is about $500 brand new, if I like it great.  IF I don't like it, I can sell and buy Moto G6 for $200 at Costco and use $300 towards 4-5 months of payment or the 2 year contr.  Seems like a good situation overall, plus virgin members have discounts to other things too.   Am I overlooking something?

Right now I'm paying $50/m anyways so its in my budget.  And I barely use 2-3 gigs/month. 

I asked the mods but they can't do anything.

20 REPLIES 20

CraftyFarmer

It's just a phone....does the math work out? A free phone for a 2 year contract and a potentially higher bill?

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@srlawren wrote:

@Wonder_why wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@Wonder_why  very nice.  I should have waited a bit longer.  I took the offer before that one, $40 for 6GB with unlim Canada-wide talk and unlimited texting, and I think it was a 1-time bill credit of $100 or $150, I forget now.  Anyway, still happy I took it, but you're proof that good things come to those that wait 🙂

Sorry about the hijack to the threads

@srlawren by any chance did you ever got offer from Koodo $10/3GB or $15/10GB Data Adds-On ?

@Wonder_why I did, yes.  General concensus is that it was offered to people that typically do not use anywhere near their monthly limit, whereas people that usually use up most of their data (or go over) did not get the offer.  Pretty crafty, if you think about it--offer it up to those that likely will rarely if ever use it and would rarely if ever pay you extra for overages... basically free monthly money for Telus! 

Yup agreed, I have referral 5 of my friends to Koodo, there all got offer, I been left out, I call Koodo nagged for 45 minutes no dice for me Cat LOL

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Wonder_why wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@Wonder_why  very nice.  I should have waited a bit longer.  I took the offer before that one, $40 for 6GB with unlim Canada-wide talk and unlimited texting, and I think it was a 1-time bill credit of $100 or $150, I forget now.  Anyway, still happy I took it, but you're proof that good things come to those that wait 🙂

@srlawren by any chance did you ever got offer from Koodo $10/3GB or $15/10GB Data Adds-On ?

@Wonder_why I did, yes.  General concensus is that it was offered to people that typically do not use anywhere near their monthly limit, whereas people that usually use up most of their data (or go over) did not get the offer.  Pretty crafty, if you think about it--offer it up to those that likely will rarely if ever use it and would rarely if ever pay you extra for overages... basically free monthly money for Telus! 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Wonder_why

@srlawren wrote:

Wonder_why

@slash407 wrote:

i wouldnt do it, the samsung a phone is older and no-way is it worth 500$ today.....u can prolly buy it outright for 200 bucks if u shop around and know where to look for. I personally wouldnt do it

Not bashing the phone, its a good phone but its up there with a lg x power 2/3 that u can get for 250 bucks, and yes they go on sale, even 250 is alot for that phone.

Where can you find brand new Samsung A8 for $250 ? 🤔 

To earn $250 rewards with PM 😓😓😓

😄

tehowennathe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@cletus90255 wrote:

I'm sure we would be sad for you to go.

The difference is between contract and no contract or credit history reported.

Also PM is cheaper than most and offer better rewards.   

I as well pay 50/month but also have referal rewards and autopay.

Public Mobile is perfect for self service individuals or ones to perfer chat and or research to overcome problems.

Just like checkouts at grocery stores.   

Some people perfer contracts amd full service setup and maintenance where others perfer a diy and get the same discounts on phones bought online without a contract.

Just my opinion. You should stay 🙂

I too pay $50. I almost switched carriers for my data even though I'd pay a bit more. Then with all PM's rewards and loyalty I am now at $17 for unlimited talk and calling to US from Canada with unlimited text and 8GB 3G data. That kept me from switching.

The longer you stay the better the rewards. This was last November that I almost switched but once rewards kicked in I stayed and now I'm happy paying way less then family who have less data then me.

cletus90255

I'm sure we would be sad for you to go.

The difference is between contract and no contract or credit history reported.

Also PM is cheaper than most and offer better rewards.   

I as well pay 50/month but also have referal rewards and autopay.

Public Mobile is perfect for self service individuals or ones to perfer chat and or research to overcome problems.

Just like checkouts at grocery stores.   

Some people perfer contracts amd full service setup and maintenance where others perfer a diy and get the same discounts on phones bought online without a contract.

Just my opinion. You should stay 🙂

irritated

$1/month for 2 years, so $24.

Forgot about that, thanks

@Anonymous wrote:

@will13am wrote:

Public Mobile offers up pretty good every day low price plans.  They don't have a retention department to allow negotiations.  This is good and and bad.  If a huge sale comes along, there is no competitive response.  But at the end of the day, each customer has to assess their own needs and price point.  Always do what's best for the wallet. 

@will13amPM does sometimes intrudece limited time offers as a 'competitive response' to another carrier's promos.  It's not the same as a retention/satisfaction dept., but it's better than nothing. 🙂

You know what I mean.  The competitive response terminology used in those promo announcement is boilerplate stuff. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@will13am wrote:

Public Mobile offers up pretty good every day low price plans.  They don't have a retention department to allow negotiations.  This is good and and bad.  If a huge sale comes along, there is no competitive response.  But at the end of the day, each customer has to assess their own needs and price point.  Always do what's best for the wallet. 

@will13amPM does sometimes intrudece limited time offers as a 'competitive response' to another carrier's promos.  It's not the same as a retention/satisfaction dept., but it's better than nothing. 🙂

srlawren

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Wonder_why

@srlawren wrote:

@Wonder_why wrote:

if I am not with Koodo $30.20 8GB Data, I will switch to Virgin

@Wonder_why  you're getting 8GB of data from Koodo for $30.20??  How??  Wow.  Is that data only or does it also includ texting and calling (and if the latter, unlimited Canada wide or other?)

Yup I got it last year August through PM offer, actually $40 8GB Data, talk and text with $15 credit for 12 month Screenshot_20180825-065252_Gmail.jpg

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

srlawren

@Wonder_why wrote:

if I am not with Koodo $30.20 8GB Data, I will switch to Virgin

@Wonder_why  you're getting 8GB of data from Koodo for $30.20??  How??  Wow.  Is that data only or does it also includ texting and calling (and if the latter, unlimited Canada wide or other?)

Wonder_why

@irritated wrote:

I'm sure you heard by now about the  FREE Samsung A8 phone with 2 year contract on

I have been happy with Public Mobile, but for the free $500 phone I am tempted to switch.

Any idea what to do?

I used to use Samsung J1 but is now very sluggish so borrowing my friends phone.

A8 is about $500 brand new, if I like it great.  IF I don't like it, I can sell and buy Moto G6 for $200 at Costco and use $300 towards 4-5 months of payment or the 2 year contr.  Seems like a good situation overall, plus virgin members have discounts to other things too.   Am I overlooking something?

Right now I'm paying $50/m anyways so its in my budget.  And I barely use 2-3 gigs/month. 

Yeah Samsung A8 not bad phone, very temping $45/6GB Data Virgin LTE good Networks, if I am not with Koodo $30.20 8GB Data, I will switch to Virgin

powerg21
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@hzmy wrote:

@irritated wrote:

Any idea what to do?

I mean you can do the math and see, like if you move there, get the phone, stick with the plan, what's the cost saving. 

And if you cancel the contract or something, what's the loss.

And for two years, your PM plan should also have some loyalty rewards, 1$ per year.

Just sit down, do some calculation, try to figure out the pros and cons on each side, and stick with whichever fits you better.

He/she can only get the Virgin plan if he/she is already an existing prepaid customer for at least 60 days.  

hzmy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@irritated wrote:

Any idea what to do?

I mean you can do the math and see, like if you move there, get the phone, stick with the plan, what's the cost saving. 

And if you cancel the contract or something, what's the loss.

And for two years, your PM plan should also have some loyalty rewards, 1$ per year.

Just sit down, do some calculation, try to figure out the pros and cons on each side, and stick with whichever fits you better.

powerg21
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

That offer is only available to Virgin prepaid customers to migrate to the postpaid plan.  Some people suggest buying a sim card an activating to get the deal. I have read that Virgin Mobile has caught on to this loop hole and requires the account to be active at least 60 days to qualify for the deal. 

irritated

lol my choice to leave or not I know.  your choice to answer or not.  and am asking people's opinion, no big deal.  Am I missing any information regarding  with public mobile or virgin?

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

What are you talking about @irritated ?? It's YOUR choice not our choice...

Need Help? Let's chat.