cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Vancouver Sun] Telus skips Huawei, picks Ericsson and Nokia to build 5G network

Satellites
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just came across this via the almighty Google News aggregator: https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/telus-skips-huawei-picks-ericsson-and-nokia-to-build-5g-net... 

Was very happy to read this as I was pondering whether to contact PM or Telus itself regarding my intent to stop doing business with a provider should they allow for such a security and privacy risk.  Now I can continue being a PM customer in good conscience and without fear that somewhere down the line I'd have to start over with another provider!

11 REPLIES 11

@yanzhiqiang 

@Thats all there is in Canada we would be fooled to think there is actual competition in Canada. Its a joke between Rogers, Bell and Telus or Fido, Virgin and Koodo or Lucky, chatr and Public   Lol. Alrhough I am now partial to Public lol.

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

All big 3 dumped Huawei 5G

sgt57
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Telus finally came to their senses. Saving a few pennies is a fleeting reward. We usually get what we pay for. Aside from preceived security risks we have no guarentee workers have any rights fair pay ect. Not to mention the use of trade issues to forward state objectives.Example

Canola bans after their CFO s arrested. China has proven not to be a reliable trading partner. I thank Telus for their return to common sense.

Bell did same too.  Since towers are shared it appears to be a logical decision that both would say the same thing. 

@Staliger here is a really good video covering thus and even explaining it could be so that the USA stays on top of the tech race.

https://youtu.be/1ylleTbizgU

@gblackma I am with you on this one. These decisions only will slow down the progress of 5G development here.

@Lemony_Snicket wrote:

This was expected given how much the US has been squeezing Huawei.  

There is no coincidence that Huawei was to surpass Samsung and Apple in sales and the US government decided to blacklist them. Mainstream media is good at trying to paint a picture for their own storyline. Its no longer journalism to find out the truth. That is what the press was for so you wouldn't have propaganda like in world war II Germany. But now every news article seems politically driven and borderlines propaganda. 

I think North America might have been the leaders of innovation but are not so much anymore. Countries that were written off for decades are now the leaders in innovation, Japan in the '70s the old phrase used to be "oh that's made in Japan." Then it shifted to "oh that's made in China"....But those countries and economies are coming and innovation is moving forward. The US was seeing this and needed to stop it, so they did. 

I don't know much of the tech behind 5G but even if they made the decision its not coming for some time... 

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Satellites I do agree with you on that one. But even if they went with Huawei for 5G  we wouldn't be on their 5G network. Or who knows. We might move over to the 5G network with 4G speeds once 4G gets old. Overall Huawei is everywhere. Most of the hardware in the device we use have some sort of Huawei chipset. Also many of the other cell providers use Huwaei as well. Thank god Telus dosent. But Huawei produces hardware fast and their one of the biggest hardware manufactures in the world. That's why some places overseas have more advanced technology than us. I agree with you on the privacy concern though. 

Lemony_Snicket
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

This was expected given how much the US has been squeezing Huawei.  

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

Since when is stifling competition a good thing? And this is what its about not security and privacy thats the excuse being used. North America which originally led the field has fallen behind. Instead of being innovative, we have gone into protection mode. By the time we fully have 5g here,  Asia will probably have 6g and be rolling out 7g. 

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@Satellites I'm with you on this one 😁

Need Help? Let's chat.