cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using lte on 3g plan

colehagglund01
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi im brandnew to pm! I got the 4+2 3g gb plan with provicewide calling and global text. Today i activated my sim and it was displaying lte and the data wAs working! Out of fear of service termination i switched it to 3g. But i am wondering if i can use the lte? Esspicaly at my cabin where lte seems to work better then 3g. Thanks for the help! ~cole

12 REPLIES 12

@CalvinW wrote:

Haha, is this how they entice you to upgrade to LTE? 

Much too subtle for PM; it's just a friendly quirk (as distinguished from unfriendlies). Robot wink

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

CalvinW
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Haha, is this how they entice you to upgrade to LTE? 

@colehagglund01 Just a note, I see that you are getting the full LTE speed on the 3G plan. This is normal for a few days. Give it a day or two and it will be throttled to 2.5mbps. 

Michael77

@will13am wrote:

I sense this is not the 3G speed plan.  Speed test results are all faster than 2.5 mbit/s.  At the end of the day, this service is prepaid.  There is no such thing as extra charges.  If the service is not purchased and paid up in advance, it won't be available for use.  Don't slow down the phone, leave it on LTE preferred.

@will13am,

Makes logical sense. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I sense this is not the 3G speed plan.  Speed test results are all faster than 2.5 mbit/s.  At the end of the day, this service is prepaid.  There is no such thing as extra charges.  If the service is not purchased and paid up in advance, it won't be available for use.  Don't slow down the phone, leave it on LTE preferred.

Do not force the 3G connection on your device.  Let the phone always connect to the best signal.  As mentioned, your phone will be able to flip between 3G and 4G as depending on where you are, 1 signal may be stronger than the other.

@colehagglund01 wrote:

Huh. Strange how my iphone will even show "3g" then

Obviously, if you force the phone to connect to the 3G band width (which you seem to have done) it will show 3G. Also, PM doesn't offer VOLTE, calls (and texts) are on 3G.

So, if you are browsing and on a voice call at the same time, you'll be on 3G. If you are using data only you will be on LTE as long as your phone settings and available network bands allow it.

Edit: Double post deleted, should know better than to answer this late and on the phone... Sorry!

colehagglund01

Confused now. Top one is lte second one is 3g and bottom is my home wifiConfused now. Top one is lte second one is 3g and bottom is my home wifi

colehagglund01

Huh. Strange how my iphone will even show "3g" then

Michael77

@wetcoaster,

I agree. LTE Light would be a much better name. 🙂

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

Unfortunately, "3G" in this context is confusing for a lot of people - you are not the first and not the last posting about this! The "3G" plans Public Mobile is offering is actually throttled LTE. You have LTE latency (if LTE is available where you are) but limited / capped download and upload speeds. The speed is reported to be adequate for most uses.

So, don't worry, you will not be charged extra if your phone shows LTE (PM being a prepaid provider there are never any overages anyway - if you are running out of data it will just stop until renewed or supplemented with an add-on...)

I have said this before and will mention it every time I see this kind of post: I think "LTE light" would have been a more appropriate name. (However, it's unlikely that the marketing team is willing to rebrand their "3G" plans...)

Need Help? Let's chat.