cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using VOIP for main number and voicemail. Need to disable voicemail on Public Mobile

Vancouverbc
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm looking to switch to Public Mobile from Virgin. My main number is a Voip.ms number. The voip.ms number rings a number of devices and also rings the cellphone. If I don't answer, I want voip.ms to handle the voicemail, I don't want Public Mobile to pickup. However reading the forums, seems there is no way to disable voice mail in PM. The extended vacation option won't work for me because PM will still answer the call. I need the call on PM to keep ringing or fail and for voip.ms to answer and take a message. 

Anyone have a solution so that PM either keeps ringing and ringing (voip.ms times out and sends the call to voice mail) or for PM to give up and hang up and voip.ms manages the call. 

56 REPLIES 56

@Vancouverbc wrote:

LurganIeUk

Re: Fongo and PM

One ring is about 5 seconds so 12 rings on Fongo will be about 1 minute. If the max ring time for PM is 30 seconds then the call will go to PM first. Is that the outcome you want? So you publish the Fongo number on CraigsList to protect your PM cellphone number but answer on your cellphone? 

Yes I want to protect my real number from Craigslist ads. I only want to use the forwarding option. And I want a call not a text. Even though my ads say....is a land line....please don’t text.....they do anyways. 

Vancouverbc

LurganIeUk

Re: Fongo and PM

One ring is about 5 seconds so 12 rings on Fongo will be about 1 minute. If the max ring time for PM is 30 seconds then the call will go to PM first. Is that the outcome you want? So you publish the Fongo number on CraigsList to protect your PM cellphone number but answer on your cellphone? 

I just set my Fongo voicemail to not kick in until 12 rings....so will my PM number answer my voicemail first? I have it on call forward to my PM phone number. I publish the Fongo number on Craigslist. 

@Vancouverbc would somehow ms figure out that a number is unavailable? Does it know the difference if number answers vs its original voicemail answering?

Mine was failing if i turn off my cell.

You may take a look into fongo for voicemail if that's the case, i have everything at the end forward to a fongo number that I use for nothing else but all my voicemail. My home phone and two of my cell phones. It was always off so after all the forwardings when it ends up there in the end of the list its voicemail picks up and sends it to me by email.

When I switched to 15 plan i started using it for callback so now it does ring once if my cell is on

I played with my freephoneline settings, they are not that flexible (but hey it's totally free now for over a decade ago in still way too happy) and one thing where it fails is if one of the numbers is unavailable and it passes to it's voicemail.

I'm not actually using freephoneline voicemail either i use fongo so I'm not facing two numbers forwarding to each other

Here is my setup

Screenshot_20201214-195601.png

Screenshot_20201214-195950.png

Screenshot_20201214-200045.png

Vancouverbc

gpixel4

That's perfect, 30 seconds should be long enough. Voip.ms creates a ringing noise for the caller while it's working on forwarding the call to cellphones. Then the cellphone rings, if Public Mobile rings for 30 seconds plus the connection time, that should give me around 35 or more seconds, more than enough for voip.ms to time out and send the call to its voicemail. This is looking really good. 

Vancouverbc

I'm not sure how to Reply-To in this forum, I'll paste in LuganleUk's message here as a screenshot. The fail-over if nothing answers the call is the voicemail associated with that DID. With Virgin, if I changed plans, voice mail got activated again and the Virgin voice mail would answer the call before voip.ms could time out and send the call to its voice mail. So I'd have to call Virgin and get voice mail disabled again. Voip.ms is super flexible in the if-this, then-that sequencing. 

Vancouverbc_0-1607995761058.png

@Vancouverbc 

dial:

**61*+1 YourLocalNumberVoicemail*11*5#

the last digit(5) is the amount of seconds it takes for your phone to go to voicemail. it counts in multiples of 5

for example, if you lower that number to 3 your phone will ring for 15 seconds then go to voicemail

Vancouverbc

I appreciate all the ideas. Please keep them coming. I think this will work with PM from what I've gathered from you folks. 

Vancouverbc

In voip.ms I can set how many rings (or seconds of ring) before something else happens like send the call to voip.ms voicemail.  Right now I have ring time set in voip.ms to be 6 rings. In practice because it takes time for cellphones to ring, on the cellphones it's about 4 rings, enough time to haul out the cellphone and answer it. So no, nothing rings forever. I just can't have Public Mobile do any thing but ring. Voip.ms handles everything else. 

Re: tablets, they make great conference phones with Linphone or Zoiper and a SIP account. The mic on an iPad is super sensitive. Sometimes a tablet is handy, at hand, and I'll make a call on it. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gpixel wrote:

@Vancouverbc 

*004*8080000000#

This will cause all calls to either ring forever or get fast busy at the point they normally would have been diverted to the voicemail system.

##004# to undo/reset it.

It's what I don't like about that idea. So then legit callers will wonder what the heck is wrong with the number. There's no ring forever option. I wish there was. I don't think any cell provider allows that. Real copper landlines have a much longer ring time but they also end at some point. Not forever.

@Vancouverbc 

*004*8080000000#

This will cause all calls to either ring forever or get fast busy at the point they normally would have been diverted to the voicemail system.

##004# to undo/reset it.

@Vancouverbc wrote:

Hi LurganIeUk 

Right, that's how I have voip.ms setup now. I didn't describe my full setup to keep the question straightforward. The 2 cellphones are with Virgin and I asked Virgin to disable voicemail on both accounts. An incoming call rings house phones (the house wiring is connected to an ATA), a stand alone voip deskphone and 2 cellphones. If the softphone apps are running, the tablets ring too. Everything rings at the same time. If nothing picks up after 6 rings, voip.ms sends the call to voice mail on that voip.ms number. It works great and with no glitches. To save some money during these COVID times when we're not out and about I want to move one cellphone to Public Mobile. But PM can't answer the call for all this to work. 

We have Zoiper on our iPhones but will run when we want to use. I have 2 accounts on each Zoiper account.....one with our home number as caller ID and one with our PM number as caller ID. I would not see any use to make my tablet into a soft phone. 

Vancouverbc

Hi LurganIeUk 

Right, that's how I have voip.ms setup now. I didn't describe my full setup to keep the question straightforward. The 2 cellphones are with Virgin and I asked Virgin to disable voicemail on both accounts. An incoming call rings house phones (the house wiring is connected to an ATA), a stand alone voip deskphone and 2 cellphones. If the softphone apps are running, the tablets ring too. Everything is in  a Ring Group and everything rings at the same time. If nothing picks up after 6 rings, voip.ms sends the call to voice mail on that voip.ms number. It works great and with no glitches. To save some money during these COVID times when we're not out and about I want to move one cellphone to Public Mobile. But PM can't answer the call for all this to work. 

How do you keep PM from answering and sending the call to PM voicemail? Or does voip.ms send the call to voipms voicemail before PM sends the call to PM voicemail?

@Vancouverbc wrote:

Hi gpixel4 

Hey, that's an idea. So because voip.ms is busy with the call having forwarded it to the cellphone, getting the cellphone to send the voicemail back to the same voip.ms number would encounter a busy signal and the call would go to voicemail. Brilliant.

With what I have is land line is voip.ms and all calls also get forwarded to my cell phone and to wife's. We never miss a call!! And if we do it goes to voip.ms voicemail and that recorded voice mail is emailed to us on a shared email address..so we can turn our data on and listen to it. And if the land line is in use....and any more calls will still go to the cell phones. 

Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 4.44.11 PM.png

Read the last line in the pic. 

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@Vancouverbc wrote:

I'm looking to switch to Public Mobile from Virgin. My main number is a Voip.ms number. The voip.ms number rings a number of devices and also rings the cellphone. If I don't answer, I want voip.ms to handle the voicemail, I don't want Public Mobile to pickup. However reading the forums, seems there is no way to disable voice mail in PM. The extended vacation option won't work for me because PM will still answer the call. I need the call on PM to keep ringing or fail and for voip.ms to answer and take a message. 

Anyone have a solution so that PM either keeps ringing and ringing (voip.ms times out and sends the call to voice mail) or for PM to give up and hang up and voip.ms manages the call. 

I have voip.ms too. I have set it up when our land line number (voip.ms) only rings it also rings both of our cell numbers. So if none of the cell phones or land line is answered you can set it up on Voip.ms as to what number is to take the voicemail. But it is not perfect. 

Vancouverbc

Hi gpixel4 

Hey, that's an idea. So because voip.ms is busy with the call having forwarded it to the cellphone, getting the cellphone to send the voicemail back to the same voip.ms number would encounter a busy signal and the call would go to voicemail. Brilliant.

@Vancouverbc why can't you just go into your phone dialer settings and forward your voicemail back to VoIP.ms?

@Nezgar can probably help you out with the ring duration before going to voicemail

Vancouverbc

kselmak,

I never give out the actual cellphone number, people only call or text using the voip.ms number. So it doesn't actually matter what the cellphone number is, in fact I don't even know what is the phone number for the cellphone. 

Vancouverbc

kselmak,

30 seconds is more than enough ring time.

Agreed, I won't have the PM cellphone call back to voip.ms. It would probably go to vm on voip.ms as the line will be busy. 

@Vancouverbc 

I believe that they ring for 30 secs

And for the first setting it really doesn't matter if the call was forwarded from ms or was called directly, it will just pass it to that number. It's just gonna short-circuit if the two numbers play ping-pong with the call:)

Vancouverbc

Thanks kselmak.

On the first suggestion, the number people call me on is the voip.ms number. It won't be the PM number. However your second suggestion could work, 4 rings is equivalent to 4 x 6 second cycles =24 seconds. Is that the number of rings before PM sends call to PM voicemail? 

voip.ms offers Call Hunting where I can designate what rings in what sequence and for how long before moving onto the next phone/device in the list. If there is no answer then voip.ms sends the call to the fail-over which can be voicemail. Thanks for the suggestion! I think it'll work. 

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@Vancouverbc 

You can instruct your phone to direct your missed/declined/unavailable calls to your voicemail instead of pubicmobile voicemail. I use my fongo instead of Publicmobile voicemail.

Another thing you could do is to have your VoIP ring your pubicmmobile number just 4 rings and then pass to the next number in the list. You would do that with your VoIP settings, choose sequential ring as opposed to simultaneous.

I believe you can still save that money

Welcome to Publicmobile

Vancouverbc

Thanks Luddite for the info.

Yes, I saw your messages and how you use it with Fongo. Too bad, PM would do the job for me and save almost $200 a year. 

Actually how long or how many rings before PM sends a call to vm? In voip.ms I can set how many rings before voip.ms routes the call to vm. If PM rings long enough, I can get voip.ms to route the call to vm on voip.ms before PM picks up. I realize part of the timing depends on when PM gets receives the forwarded call and the timing can vary and voipms catching the call may not work all the time. Like you, I get my vm my email. Plus the you-have-a-message lamp on every device (telephone adapters and Voip desk phones) lights up no matter where in the world that device is located. 

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Vancouverbc  Think it's impossible; as soon as your VOIP transfers the call to PM it is managed by PM. I work the opposite direction to Fongo.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
Need Help? Let's chat.