cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useing Fongo With Data !!

PublicMobile101
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hey i am wondering if anyone is useing a Data only Plan on there phone With PM and useing this app called Fongo for there calls and Texts , How is your exsperiance useing it , If you got a 3 Month data plan you could Save A TON of money with fongo. You ever think PM would do a Deal with fongo ?

FongoYellow696.png

11 REPLIES 11

BigFranco
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Texting with Fongo works perfectly but the call clarity really suffers with a bad connection. Incoming voice is typically better than outgoing which is an issue if caller can't make out what you are saying

Martin
Legend
Legend
@jeffto,

I agree with you. I was thinking of the self-serve accounts prior to the recent changes.

Cheers.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi,

The closest to a voice add-on is the Canada/USA add-on and the international calling add-on, which includes 18 countries, plus Canada and the USA. That said, the preceding can be used only if one has Talk in one's plan. The minutes would expire when the last second is used, but neither add-on is time-limited.

FYI.

jeffto
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Martin I'm pretty sure there is an option to change your plan at the end of the billing cycle instead of immediately in your account page

jeffto

When I was still on Rogers, I used close to 0 voice minutes, so adding voice packaging isn't worth it.  3g is alright.  I can hear the other person perfectly everytime, but it is the uploading that I have issues with.  on 3g my upload speeds float around 1.2 mpbs the last time I ran a speed test, which isn't quite good enough.  LTE will definitely boost that upload speed and hopefully improve call quality by a lot.  

It would be great if there's a voice add-on like data where the minutes don't expire.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi,

If you are going to change your plan, excluding add-ons, do it at the end of your payment cycle. If you do it before the end of the cycle, any unused days will not be added to the new plan, and you will not receive a partial credit or refund.

FYI.

vrance
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi @PublicMobile101, as @Daniel mentioned, it is better to use Fongo when you have the LTE connection, instead of 3G.  However, the Fongo server is not as capable as we think.  If you want outgoing only, use Google Handgout is much better.  If you need some call and data, it is better to signup for the voice and data plan together since the data plan itself will be around 1MB per min, and especially if your plan is only 1 GB, there is no much room for the voice call.  You also receive package discount if you signon more than one service.  Just to play around with the plan configuration that you find the best.

Daniel
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I fugure that has long has your data is comming in clear, you'll get a clear conversation.

jeffto

I'm actually using fongo with data only plan right now, just make sure your phone is LTE capable.  I have a chinese phone that have chinese bands, so I can only get 3g with PM.  As a result, my call quality varies a lot.  When it is working though, fongo is pretty good.  I can receive text messages almost instantly after it is sent, but you have to pay for a package to reply to SMS.  I just switched to the 1GB/90day plan for basically $13/ month with the $2 autopay credits each month.  If I ever need more data, I'll just buy an add on.  It's a little bit more expensive, but the good thing about add-on data is that they never expire.

PublicMobile101
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@imm1304 I am a big Public moble fan i want to support the company because there inavateing there doing something different and i love that we need that in canada ! im happy to give my money to them 🙂 so tablet plans wouldnt be for me so much 😛 

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hey @PublicMobile101, I have an old fongo account that I occasionally use when I am travelling.  

I have tested the android app on various Wifi in different countries and also on PM data and it works perfectly fine.  It goes without saying that if you have poor signal, the call quality may suffer.  One majore drawback is that it doesn't support the short sms codes.. so apps like whatsapp that verify your number in this manner wont work.  

I doubt that PM would do any deal with fongo.. however, no such deal needs to exist for you to use fongo on data only plan.  

Also, for data only plans, the other major carriers offer tablet plans that may be cheaper for you or get you more data.   

Need Help? Let's chat.