cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usa texting

Lynban
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have the 15.00 plan. It says I have international texting . I was just in the USA and on two occasions I tried to text and I could not. It said not delivered both times.

am I not able to send a text from the USA with my 15.00 plan.

33 REPLIES 33

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

ya - after seeing @AE_Collector response I might have to agree. Just get PM sms roaming add-on. Remember, you will always receive SMS text while in the States even without a US roaming plan. For $24 CAD that is probalbly cheaper than any other USA prepaid plan (paid in USD). You also won't misplace your Public Mobile SIM. Just preload your account with lots of funds so you don't have to worry about that step.  

I would still get a TextNow number that you could use in a pinch while connected to wifi. 

You mentioned just keeping your $15 plan (or you could change it to the $10 plan while away but what if they discontinue the $15 plan while you are away and then you can’t switch back to it on your return?). If you keep it you can buy the unlimited US texting plan for 10 days at $8 that is $24 Canadian a month (30 days actually). The Only PITA is having to repurchase it each 10 days. This would eliminate all sorts of fooling around! You just need access to internet (Wi-Fi?) to go to PM’s Self Serve webpage to purchase the new 10 day plan every 10 days.

Terry

smp99

One more option.

Get a US number (ATT&T prepaid is a good option since it allows you to call back to Cda) but ALSO get a TextNow number. That way your family/friends will be able to call/text a local Cdn number to reach you, otherwise they may get hit with intl texting or long distance charges.

You can use the AT&T cell network for data (TextNow) when you do not have access to free WiFi.

As mentioned earlier, you can get a TextNow number now and test it out, get familiar with it, before you leave. It will just continue to work when you cross the boarder.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Alan_K: I can't seem to quote at the moment.

I don't know what to suggest. It's a little above my paygrade. I see your competitors use the same terminology. Do they get people saying "hey how come I can't text home? I'm in Tuscany and your service says international."

And of course who reads fine print anyway.

So with that...here are my suggestions:

In change plan under the More Details: a footnote that all services are for while in Canada or roaming partners.
Or up top simply saying: all services are for while in Canada or roaming partners.
Also a footnote in the Terms & Conditions lower down on the plans page like More Details.
Then an addition to the check box on the bottom of the activation page: Service terms apply to the use of Public Mobile services while in Canada or roaming partners.

Up top of the Purchase add-ons screen too.​ And while you're there, add a blurb about the countries included in the 400 minute add-on.

Thanks for the reply and your attention to these suggestions and your other fix about post count.

YVR
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Alan_K

@Anonymous wrote:

@Lynban wrote:

I have the 15.00 plan. It says I have international texting . I was just in the USA and on two occasions I tried to text and I could not. It said not delivered both times.

am I not able to send a text from the USA with my 15.00 plan.

@Alan_K:  Once again another victim of the misinterpretation of international.

@Lynban: No. You would need to buy roaming add-ons to send texts and make calls in the US.

inttext.png@Anonymous I can add in a superscript to the International text description on the left and put something in the offer details citing the international text is only good if you're on the TELUS/PM network and the need for a roaming package if you are going outside Canada. What do you think?

You can't port your cdn number to the u.s.and vice versa. Even if you could that would close your account with pm and you would lose any rewards and/Or balance. Simply remove your pm SIM put in the American SIM and activate . You will choose a new phone number. This is the number you give to friends and family and add to your voicemail on your pm number (If you want.) When you return home swap cards and you're back on your current number. If you want you could keep the u.s. number by choosing that cell providers lowest cost plan (like pm's $10) to maintain the account had it available to you whenever you travel down south. In theory have 2 phone numbers for a year costing around $240.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You could also buy a Zip Sim or Gigsky sim.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Lynban wrote:

Can I use same number. 

@Lynban unfortunately, no.  You will have to select a new American phone number for use with that SIM card.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Lynban

Ok. I would not stop anything. I do not mind paying the 15.00 a month for the three months I am away so that I don’t mess up my account or make more trouble for myself.

so if I continue to keep paying my 15.00 can I then remove the SIM card in my phone, put in a USA card and then will I be set to go and what phone number will I be using for the USA SIM card. Can I use same number. Thanks 

Lorca

Yes, Public Mobile is prepaid so you don’t have to worry about paying every month if you won’t be here to use it. As @Anonymous said, you can simply reactivate your account before 90 days. (maybe a little sooner to make sure it’s up and running before you get back)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lynban wrote:

I don’t understand how I do that. Do I have to cancel my 15.00 plan for the three months I am in Florida. Then I buy a SIM card and what is my next step.

SIM's are swappable. It was kinda the whole point of them when they came out. Of course telco's abused that for profit.

Then you insert the other SIM and activate it.

You don't have to cancel anything. You let it suspend (if you don't want to spend money for nothing). Before 90 days after you let it suspend you top-up and you're PM service is back.

Lynban

I don’t understand how I do that. Do I have to cancel my 15.00 plan for the three months I am in Florida. Then I buy a SIM card and what is my next step.

Lorca

Agree with @hairbag1 , get a U.S. prepaid SIM when you’re there

All sage advice....hope you don't mind one more opinion chiming in. First do some research on u.s. SIM cards/prepaid plans and coverage in the area you're going to....decide what works for you. Then you're on the $15 plan. Going up to $60 doesn't make sense. Instead choose to keep $15 or on the renewal date closest to your departure preferably after have your plan set up to switch to the $10 plan. With autopay and maybe some referral rewards it will be $8 or less. The day you leave for the u.s. add and choose one of the u.s. add ons. If you mostly text pick that or mostly call pick that and so on...that will give you 10 days to figure out getting your u.s. SIM/plan with a free back up text/call app when you have WiFi. Once you have a u.s. phone number you can change the voicemail on your pm phone updating your u.s. phone number for callers. You could also disable the ability for vm messages by putting it on extended absence and only have callers hear your greeting and new numbers to reach you at via text or calling. This way you will pay $34 for 90 days to maintain your pm account with voice mail and 10 days roaming and $30+? for 90 days of u.s. service plus your free app for back up. U.S. plans are cheaper than ours and if you're good with the $15 plan here you can get a $10 plan there to suit your needs. Altogether $64+tax for 90 days of service both here and there. Near the end change your pm plan back to $15 plan on next renewal. Probably after your return since you'll have at least 50/50 text +call for the transition to your renewal date(a week or so?) This way it keeps your costs down (less than 75cents a day) but keeps you well connected both here and there..

@Lynban wrote:

I have an older version iPhone. Can I buy a SIM card like you mention and just switch it.

if I do this what happens to the 15.00 plan I am now on with public . Do I just keep it there.

@Lynban  Go to Amazon.ca and search for US prepaid cards.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lynban wrote:

Ok, I see now I misinterpreted the word international to mean more than it does.

my next trip to USA is for a three month period in January and I only need to be able to text both in USA and back to Canada.

can I get a three month add on plan or do I need the 60.00 plan each month when I only need to be able to text.

I agree with the thought of getting a local SIM. I used H2O once when I was in the states. Pure pay as you go. Buy the SIM for like a dollar and put some money in the pot and you consume it as you use features. (in fact it's how I learned alot about prepaid) Target has them for a starter price of $10 and that's a dollar SIM.

As for your plan here...3 months is cutting it tight. If you're not on autopay then you have 90 days from the end of a paid term until they completely deactivate the account. During that time, your account is suspended so you can't use it. So plan carefully. Then you top-up and start the plan again and you're good to go.

Or just keep paying for a plan you're not using. Up to you.

@Lynban wrote:

Thankyou, I understand what you are saying and it makes sense to do it only on my renewal date.

thanks for that tip.

now your last paragraph about the app I am not understanding.

if I downloaded this app, could I text  from USA back to Canada from my phone without a WiFi connection.

The free TextNow app works good to call / text to your CDN or US numbers while you're in USA...but you need a robust wifi connection to do so. Wifi is getting to be widespread now so it's not a bad option.

Stay Safe!

@LynbanYou can purchase prepaid AT&T SIM card from any US Walmart. In Canada Roam Mobility is an option but their partner in the states is TMobile which coverage isn't the greatest especially if you don't have the latest and greatest phones.

As for your Public Mobile plan, if you can afford it I would just keep the account active. It is just more convenient and less hassle.

Lynban

I have an older version iPhone. Can I buy a SIM card like you mention and just switch it.

if I do this what happens to the 15.00 plan I am now on with public . Do I just keep it there.

@Lynban the app needs a data connection to text. Also the number will be a new number.

Lynban

Thankyou, I understand what you are saying and it makes sense to do it only on my renewal date.

thanks for that tip.

now your last paragraph about the app I am not understanding.

if I downloaded this app, could I text  from USA back to Canada from my phone without a WiFi connection.

Stay Safe!

For a 3 month stretch...you might just want to get a local sim card in US. Maybe consider using a free voip app like TextNow...send and recieve free calls and texts as long as you have a robust wifi.

@LynbanThe Add ons are only valid for 10 days, so you will need to do a cost/ benefit yourself.

Lynban

Ok, I see now I misinterpreted the word international to mean more than it does.

my next trip to USA is for a three month period in January and I only need to be able to text both in USA and back to Canada.

can I get a three month add on plan or do I need the 60.00 plan each month when I only need to be able to text.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire
U.S. Talk, Text and Data Bundle
Unlimited Talk, International Text and 250MB Data for just $20 for 10 days.

Stay Safe!

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

The plan only works whilst you're in Canada. If you go to the US, you'll need the 10 Day US Roaming Add-on.

Need Help? Let's chat.