cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Urgent Help need, I suspect someone swap my simcard

Physical sim card swap is unlikely due to the pandemic social distancing.  The online account doesn't seem to be hacked.  I suspect either done in a kiosk or through community moderator by pretending to be the owner of the phone number.  It is a good time for public mobile to review the sim card hack attack prevention policy.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@xypublicmobile 

You need to check your email account and anything associated with them. 776836 is the text code for verification from Yahoo.

Highlighted

Hi, I don't have yahoo account, most likely hacker created yahoo account using the phone number.  Also, moderator_team has informed me that they didn't do the swap, then most likely it was done at a kiosk.  The chance of access through my online account was low, as the hacker didn't change the password.

Highlighted

A big thank you to moderator_team for resolving the issue so quickly for me.  Now I have my phone number back again.

However, how can we prevent such attacks from happening again is going to be a major battle between users and hackers.  I was trying to find out my online account access history, but I can't.  If public mobile can make this information available, it will help users to figure out where the hacker may come from.  The other source may be the kiosks but that's beyond our control.

Again big thanks to the moderator_team!

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@xypublicmobile one way you can prevent this is by one using a password that is very difficult to guess for your self serve account. Use an app like LastPass to accomplish this.

Another way is in your overview account do not use your first name as your name in the account. Use a made-up name that is difficult to guess. All the users need is your name and account number to do the switch or your IME# 

Hopefully in the future Public does something more substantial like a 2FA separate from your phone number to port your number or something. @Tiana_V 

Highlighted
Public Mobile

@Naepalm wrote:

@xypublicmobile one way you can prevent this is by one using a password that is very difficult to guess for your self serve account. Use an app like LastPass to accomplish this.

Another way is in your overview account do not use your first name as your name in the account. Use a made-up name that is difficult to guess. All the users need is your name and account number to do the switch or your IME# 

Hopefully in the future Public does something more substantial like a 2FA separate from your phone number to port your number or something. @Tiana_V 

The Public team is currently working hard on a solution to prevent fraudulent port-outs of our customers accounts. We'll be sure to let you all know when its ready!

Highlighted
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

If you share apartment, it is one your roommates. Welcome to roommate country

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Tiana_V wrote:

@Naepalm wrote:

The Public team is currently working hard on a solution to prevent fraudulent port-outs of our customers accounts. We'll be sure to let you all know when its ready!

@Tiana_V  Thanks for updating us on a very serious issue. 

Highlighted

the most quiet one. (girl)

Highlighted
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@quantum-board wrote:

If you share apartment, it is one your roommates. Welcome to roommate country

@quantum-board that's an odd accusation

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Need Help? Let's chat.