cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Oracle

Re: Unsolicited Referrral Offers PSA

@will13am wrote:

I don't think there's a totally safe method.  What is important to keep in mind is that this is refer a friend, not refer a victim.  There needs to be an element of mutual respect and trust that can't be built into a string of alpha numeric characters.  

Great post.  Yes it is to reward you for bringing people to the service not messaging people saying use my number.  Why should on reward you for that

* I am happy to help, but I am not a MOD please do not include any personal info in a private message to me, click the "?" in the bottom right to create a trouble ticket *
Highlighted
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

It would be safer if PM or Koodo go back old systems with Text Offer not allow to do online the Offer,must do at store, then no more hack PM # my 2 cents

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

I don't think there's a totally safe method.  What is important to keep in mind is that this is refer a friend, not refer a victim.  There needs to be an element of mutual respect and trust that can't be built into a string of alpha numeric characters.  

Great post.  Yes it is to reward you for bringing people to the service not messaging people saying use my number.  Why should on reward you for that

It's also only a dollar per 30 days. Why should people expend any effort to recruit for such a low compensation? I suppose there is a risk and people should be aware of it but saying that it isn't right, goes both ways. You want me to recruit, then pay me properly. Public mobile makes minimum 10 times what they give me for recruitment, so the house always wins. That's good business for them, not so much for me

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Karnbot13 wrote:

It's also only a dollar per 30 days. Why should people expend any effort to recruit for such a low compensation?

Volume volume volume. If the recruiter snags a whole lot of them then they can basically be making money or getting the top of the line service for free.

Highlighted

@z10user4 wrote:

@Karnbot13 wrote:

It's also only a dollar per 30 days. Why should people expend any effort to recruit for such a low compensation?

Volume volume volume. If the recruiter snags a whole lot of them then they can basically be making money or getting the top of the line service for free.

I think you're missing my point. I need to recruit 39 people to get my plan cost to zero. If everyone of them took the $10 plan, how much is PM getting compared to what they give me? Not worth the effort to recruit in my book.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Karnbot13 wrote:

@z10user4 wrote:

@Karnbot13 wrote:

I think you're missing my point. I need to recruit 39 people to get my plan cost to zero. If everyone of them took the $10 plan, how much is PM getting compared to what they give me? Not worth the effort to recruit in my book.

So what do all the other providers offer in the way of "compensation"? Participating on their forums? Recruiting other customers? Automatic renewals? Loyalty?

Chatr has bonus extra data for autopay. Sure that could be of value to some. No other rewards. And they have zones.

Lucky has a short term autopay reward. No other rewards. And they have zones.

Koodo has a substantial one-time referral reward for each referral but they say it could be upwards to 2 months to receive. They also have a 10% of your base plan autopay. And $20 total activation bonus after 3 months. No other rewards.

Virgin has a 10% autopay as well. No other rewards.

(I just looked at prepaid and 2nd and 3rd tier providers)

So really...of course the house wins. But at least they all have something for the customer and PM has more potential for Rewards. Does it mean you'll just not do anything because it's not worth your while and that the house will make more?

Yes in your case you would need 39 referrals. But you can also participate even just a little here and get a few more bucks. And have autopay. And a buck each year for your loyalty. Then you wouldn't need as many referrals.

Nobody else is doing all that.

The referrals are almost no work. The autopay no work. The loyalty no work. Yeah y'gotta work a little for the forum.

Highlighted

@z10user4 wrote:

@Karnbot13 wrote:

@z10user4 wrote:

@Karnbot13 wrote:

So what do all the other providers offer in the way of "compensation"? Participating on their forums? Recruiting other customers? Automatic renewals? Loyalty?

Chatr has bonus extra data for autopay. Sure that could be of value to some. No other rewards. And they have zones.

Lucky has a short term autopay reward. No other rewards. And they have zones.

Koodo has a substantial one-time referral reward for each referral but they say it could be upwards to 2 months to receive. They also have a 10% of your base plan autopay. And $20 total activation bonus after 3 months. No other rewards.

Virgin has a 10% autopay as well. No other rewards.

(I just looked at prepaid and 2nd and 3rd tier providers)

So really...of course the house wins. But at least they all have something for the customer and PM has more potential for Rewards. Does it mean you'll just not do anything because it's not worth your while and that the house will make more?

Yes in your case you would need 39 referrals. But you can also participate even just a little here and get a few more bucks. And have autopay. And a buck each year for your loyalty. Then you wouldn't need as many referrals.

Nobody else is doing all that.

The referrals are almost no work. The autopay no work. The loyalty no work. Yeah y'gotta work a little for the forum.

I value my time much differently that you do, it would seem. I'm well aware of what this and other services offer, no need to bring up that strawman argument, thanks. Already have the autopay, loyalty, etc, enabled. Beyond that, the dollar a month compensation per recruit isn't worth expending ANY effort to receive. If someone wants to use my number, great, if not, I'm not doing PM's work for them. They don't save me THAT much money. Clear now?

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Karnbot13 wrote:

I value my time much differently that you do, it would seem. I'm well aware of what this and other services offer, no need to bring up that strawman argument, thanks. Already have the autopay, loyalty, etc, enabled. Beyond that, the dollar a month compensation per recruit isn't worth expending ANY effort to receive. If someone wants to use my number, great, if not, I'm not doing PM's work for them. They don't save me THAT much money. Clear now?

If your time is so immensely valuable and important then what are you doing here?

The context of the thread is about people sending unsolicited messages to others to get referral dollars. No one is saying they're getting rich here. We're all completely aware that at the end of the day it's a few measly dollars we get to keep in our jeans and that the company is making much more. We. All. Know. That.

This is no strawman. I completely get YOUR point that referrals aren't worth your oh so valuable time to put in any effort for them. That's plain as day. And obvious.

I have no referrals. Some have quite a handful. However we all choose to engage in this place of many options to save a few bucks is our business. None or some or all. It is indeed your opinion that the referrals aren't worth any effort from you. Oh look. Your choice. Others will enthusiastically sell the place to friends and family. Particularly when there are 2-sided credit promos for referring someone. Still others will cast a net to see if anyone will bite and get a few bucks off of them here and there.

Thus...in answer to your original question of why...why not? It's found money.

Highlighted
Oracle

@Karnbot13 wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

It's also only a dollar per 30 days. Why should people expend any effort to recruit for such a low compensation? I suppose there is a risk and people should be aware of it but saying that it isn't right, goes both ways. You want me to recruit, then pay me properly. Public mobile makes minimum 10 times what they give me for recruitment, so the house always wins. That's good business for them, not so much for me

If you don't like the reward don't do it it is that easy.  They are providing The service if course they are going to make the money.  So like others have said if you don't like the reward payout you don't need to do anything, just don't try and get the reward for actually doing nothing

* I am happy to help, but I am not a MOD please do not include any personal info in a private message to me, click the "?" in the bottom right to create a trouble ticket *
Highlighted
Oracle

@Karnbot13 wrote:

@z10user4 wrote:

@Karnbot13 wrote:

So what is your plan value and then what would that cost you with another provider?  Don't try and say the PM doesn't reward people.  Our lower cost plans is quite a reward to start with