cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to set voicemail access number on Samsung S7 phone

thanhhnguyen
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi!

Everytime I got a VM, I wasn't able to retrieve it by pressing 1 since the VM access  number was not in the phone setting but I always get an error when trying to set the voicemail access number to 306-580-4001 which is the access number for my city. The only way to get to the VM system is to phone the access number directly or my own number.

There have been several solutions mentioned in the forum but they involve the help of a moderator who has to do something at the backend to push out the voicemail number to the phone. 

Can some mod help me with that. My phone is an old Samsung S7.

14 REPLIES 14

@thanhhnguyen 

If rebooting your phone doesn't set your voicemail number you will need to contact customer support to push the number through to set it from their side. 

Click on the chat bubble at the bottom right corner of your screen and type "account related issue" and "human" and follow the prompts to submit your ticket via Simple--Simon. Keep an eye on the envelope icon at the top right corner of your screen next to your avatar for a little number to pop up indicating a reply from a CSA. Responding promptly will speed up service times.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@thanhhnguyen 

if you like to try backup and Factory Reset.

Hard Reset SAMSUNG Factory Reset in Andoird device

Anonymous
Not applicable

@thanhhnguyen : Is there a chance that there's a space in front or after?

Yes this should all be automatic, but you should also be able to do your settings.

thanhhnguyen

Tried it but no luck. It seems that no matter what number I set the VM access number to, I always get the error "Failed to read data - Voicemail number change unsuccessful". And no, after the error, the number was not set. 

I wonder where the VM access number is stored on the phone. I read somewhere that this info is stored on the SIM card and usually updated automatically by the carrier pushing this out when the phone contacts the carrier network during the phone initialization (or when a new SIM card is put in).

On my wife's S6 Edge (also with Public Mobile), this VM access number was set automatically when I checked the phone VM setting.

thanhhnguyen

Setting the VM accessing niumber to any number will result in the message "Failed to read data - Voicemail number change unsuccessful". This happens when trying to set the number in the phone setting -> Voicemail Setting.

Pressing 1 when attempting to access VM results in the message "Voicemail number not set".

Strange since on my wife's S6 Edge (also on Public Mobile), pressing 1 works and when I checked the VM setting, the correct access number is already set without any manual setup.

When I was on a different carrier (Bell), pressing 1 worked and I didn't have to set any VM access number in the setting either.

@thanhhnguyen  did you try changing to other VM number from other cities?

also try this

First to change to other number.. other NON PM voice number

From the phone app, go to Settings-> Calls-> Voicemail->Setup

change the voicemail number to something else. and Yes,you will get the error.

Now change it back to the real number

Go back to setting the number and enter your number with +1.

(you might still get an error but at least it should have the number stored)

try calling VM now.. if still fail, reboot it once more and try after

thanhhnguyen

As mentioned, using own number or dialing the access number directly works but pressing 1 doesn't since the VM access number is undefined. I believe pressing 1 to retrieve VM is a hardware feature of every phone. There is no option to use a different key to access the VM access number that I can see on the Samsung S7 except to define a  contact with the VM access number and put it in a quick dial list.

thanhhnguyen

Resetting network and losing all Wifi, Bluetooth info but still getting same error "Failed to read data - Voicemail number change unsuccessful"!

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@thanhhnguyen wrote:

Hi!

Everytime I got a VM, I wasn't able to retrieve it by pressing 1 since the VM access  number was not in the phone setting but I always get an error when trying to set the voicemail access number to 306-580-4001 which is the access number for my city. The only way to get to the VM system is to phone the access number directly or my own number.

There have been several solutions mentioned in the forum but they involve the help of a moderator who has to do something at the backend to push out the voicemail number to the phone. 

@thanhhnguyen  - if you try your SIM into another phone, can you access voicemail then?

For your Samsung S7, perform a Network reset, follow these steps.

1. From the Home screen, swipe up on an empty spot to open the Apps tray.
  2. Tap Settings > General Management > Reset > Reset network settings.
  3. Tap Reset settings.
  4. If you have set up a PIN, enter it.
  5. Tap Reset settings. Once complete a confirmation window will appear.

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@thanhhnguyen wrote:

Hi!

@thanhhnguyen 

Have you tried configuring another key as speed dial for voicemail? And use your own number instead of voicemail number.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@thanhhnguyen did you try setting the voicemail number from another city?

ref: Updated list of Voicemail Access Numbers - Community (publicmobile.ca)

Since you have unlimited Canada calling, you can set the VM number from  any city.

Also, what exact error message you got?  did you get the error message when you enter the VM number? or you can set the number without issue but error when you press 1 to dial VM?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@thanhhnguyen : My next idea was going to be no dashes but you just typed that without them.

I tried setting mine without 1 or +1 and it still worked.

I'm not sure why it won't work for you.

Edit: @thanhhnguyen : Can you set it to your phone number.

What message does it say?

thanhhnguyen

I already tried adding 1 to 3065804001 but I got the same error.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@thanhhnguyen : Can you add +1 in front.

Need Help? Let's chat.