cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to send (picture MMS)

avi
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi I am new here, I have been trying to send/receive picture messages. But I'm still unable to do so. 

I keep getting the message failed to send or failed to download, I have the unlimited mms picture messaging plan with picture messaging included, with only 250 mb of data. By default I have mobile data turned off, and dont belive its required to send MMS. If I enable mobile data will MMS work? And will it start using data from my 250 mb that I have? Btw i have a samsung galaxy S8 that's running android version 9. Any help or resolution appreciated! Thanks! 

9 REPLIES 9

rossputin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Well some go without data on, and just now when data on, stuck on "sending".  Finally sent but it too 15, 20 minutes.

@rossputin wrote:

Some images send without data on, and some don't.

Then some don't when data on.  Like right now two messages with pictures are stuck on "sending".

An image can't send without the use of data.  I do realize tha that the MMS data used doesn't count as part of your plans data usage, but it always requires the use of data. Some phones do have the software set to autmoatically enable data for your the user if it's turned off, but I've never personally seen that.  

rossputin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Some images send without data on, and some don't.

Then some don't when data on.  Like right now two messages with pictures are stuck on "sending".

Dantorstol
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello there! I do believe you need “mobile data” turned ON. I just disabled my mobile data and tried to send a picture and it failed to deliver.

also, if you turn off all your push notifications such as email, Facebook, messenger etc, you should be able to save of your data.

avi

Oh okay thanks!

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@aviIndeed mobile data must be on for MMS sending & receiving to work. A small amount of data may register against your data usage to establish the connection also used for Internet access, but the actual MMS usage will not count. In fact, even if you use up your 250MB allotment for Internet access and Internet access stops working, I have personally confirmed that MMS sending continues to work.  If you're phone is on WiFi, it is less likely to "accidentally" use any data for Internet.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@avi wrote:

If I enable mobile data will MMS work? And will it start using data from my 250 mb that I have? 

@avi : Yes. It's required.

MMS no. But your phone might want to do other things using that internet connection for the time that you have mobile data on. So make sure OS and app updates are set to wifi only. And only those apps that you want to let use the internet in the background.

Edit: no extra charges here

avi

Thank you very much it really helped! And also does it use any more of my data, as I just used 3 megabites will I get charged for more usage 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@avi , mobile data needs to be turned on in order for MMS to work.  MMS data goes through a proxy server and is not counted towards your metered mobile data consumption.  That's why MMS usage is unlimited, regardless how much mobile data usage is included in your plan.

Need Help? Let's chat.