cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to access voicemail

Sugarcookie
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I am a new community member here 🙋. Just activated my SIM card a couple days ago. Just wondering why I can't access my voicemail. I reset the passcode, but when I try to access a voice message the call doesn't go through and the screen messages  say Error & Call Failed. Any help is much appreciated. 😊

18 REPLIES 18

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@Ajay I think the code you provided only works with iPhones - which is still useful for those phones. This doesn't work for android, at least not mine.

@Ajay 

Great advice....for most customers with Canada wide calling but for maybe someone with a legacy plan that has provincial calling and switching to a new phone this list will help them get their provincial voicemail number....vs just BC's number.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Updated-list-of-Voicemail-Access-N...

Edit:

BTW....welcome to public mobile and welcome to the community! Keep on posting....

Ajay
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just switched over to Public Mobile. I set up my voicemail, but when I tried hitting the "Call Voicemail" on my iPhone "Voicemail" screen, I just got an error message. Here's a fix that worked for me. Navigate to your phone number pad from the green Phone App on your main screen. Then type in the following numbers and characters exactly as written *5005*86*17785804001# Push dial. Your phone will call the number, but nothing really happens, hit end call and you should be good to go next time you hit "Call Voicemail".

Sugarcookie

using a new iPhone 12, so maybe Public Mobile could post different setting parameters for users to check for their type of cell phone 😉

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sugarcookie wrote:

Thanks for your awesome solution. Why is it not written on the website's instructions to phone this number you provided?  Public Mobile, please take notice and include this tip on your instructions for setting up voicemail. Great help, indeed! 😎

Because you shouldn't have to. It should get set up on activation. Perhaps you had manually set it to something before from a previous provider?

I don't know what phone you have but in my Samsung S7 running A8 it's in the dialer under the 3 dots, Settings/Voicemail settings/Voicemail number.

Then select any one of the numbers that Nezgar provided above and type it in.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@Sugarcookie Here is a list of all currently known voicemail access numbers across Canada. Useful for accessing from a landline without ringing your cel:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Updated-list-of-Voicemail-Access-N...

Sugarcookie

I re-read your e-mail response from a few msgs before. It meant skip the voicemail greeting for the * button for the function.    🤣

@Sugarcookie wrote:

That worked!!! 😁 What does  *  usually mean for a phone?

* is the asterisk key.

Sugarcookie

Great help, thanks so much!

Sugarcookie

Thanks for your awesome solution. Why is it not written on the website's instructions to phone this number you provided?  Public Mobile, please take notice and include this tip on your instructions for setting up voicemail. Great help, indeed! 😎

Sugarcookie

Sorry, JK8 not JKB ---getting too old to read small characters.   👓

Sugarcookie

That worked!!! 😁 What does  *  usually mean for a phone? Send or Call? Very helpful thanks. However, it seems that I can't access my voicemail messages by simply pressing "1" and holding it; I can only access my voice msgs by entering my 10-digit cell number, which is a MAJOR pain. Maybe I'm doing that wrong too. Let me know your tip for this as well. Many thanks.  Public Mobile, please take note and include JKB's more specific instructions for your customers!  😎

@Sugarcookie wrote:

Thank you for the rapid replies. 🤗 That's great the we can use the landlines to access voicemail, but it just seems to call my cell phone & I don't get to select Send or Call.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong...

If you are accessing your voicemail from another phone.....call your number and then press * during the voicemail greeting.

On your phone you just press 1

Sugarcookie

Thank you for the rapid replies. 🤗 That's great the we can use the landlines to access voicemail, but it just seems to call my cell phone & I don't get to select Send or Call.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong...

@Sugarcookie 

If you have set up your voicemail correctly press 1 from your phone to access.

To access voicemail messages from your mobile device, hold down the ‘1’ key on your phone keypad. You can also access your voicemail from a landline or any other phone line, by dialing your 10-digit phone number, selecting ‘Send’ or ‘Call’ and then pressing ‘*’ to skip the system greeting.

Sugarcookie

Thanks, I did use your method to get to set up properly now. Why isn't that number you provided written on the instructions on the site instructions? Upon trying to check the voicemail again for my messages I still am not routed to access my voice message box. How do I quickly access my voice messages? Do I need to always press 1? Thanks again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sugarcookie wrote:

Hi, I am a new community member here 🙋. Just activated my SIM card a couple days ago. Just wondering why I can't access my voicemail. I reset the passcode, but when I try to access a voice message the call doesn't go through and the screen messages  say Error & Call Failed. Any help is much appreciated. 😊

Dial 17785804001 and see if you get there. If you do then your phone needs the proper voicemail number set up so that pressing and holding 1 gets you to voicemail.

Need Help? Let's chat.