cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USA plans

DellaRobertson
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Please be aware Public Mobil does not work in the USA.  My husband and I both have the top plan $55.00 a month.  We thought by the wording it would work in both the US and Canada.  We discovered we would need add -on.  I added on the 10 day plans(which is $20 for 10 days so another 60 a month) and tried every option.  We were not able to receive calls from Canada unless on Wi-Fi and no one with a USA number could call us.  Everything went to voicemail and we did not get their messages. we relied on Facetime and Facebook messenger.  I even tried reducing my Canadian plan to $35 and increasing USA add-on data but still ineffective.  Impossible to use google maps as you got very little data with the plan and once left Wi-Fi nothing worked properly so could not rely on it which is essential in another country. We will be forced to go to another carrier please be aware before traveling outside Canada.  

8 REPLIES 8

@DellaRobertson 

Did you ask for a credit from the moderator for your inability to use the roaming add ons?

Consider your options with telus carefully before choosing to switch from public mobile. While your experience with pm's was non typical or satisfactory you may find when they work correctly or if you look at options like mint mobile they are much more economical.

Choosing the hassle free option of telus' easy roam option does come with a price for its convenience. You pay $9 per day that you choose to access your plan services while roaming in the US up to a maximum of $120. So you would pay your plan cost+$90 for 10 days of roaming service or $120+ plan cost for 14+ days of roaming service and any additional overage fees if you exceed your plans data allotment.

https://www.telus.com/en/qc/mobility/travel

Yes, Tier 3 providers are really meant to be used in Canada.   USA is the only place outside Canada that is "welcome" by Tier3 providers (if I am not wrong, I think Lucky Mobile, another Tier3, does not even give you the option to roam in USA ) 

If you go US a lot, you might want to consider getting the prepaid service in USA instead.  It is definitely cheaper than roaming.    

DellaRobertson
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank You everyone!  I just put it out their so people are aware that it is not effective.  I did all the steps everyone suggested and yes the funds were in the account first.  The add-on is $20 for 10 days and only 250mb data.  You can add more data which adds up quickly in a 10 day cycle.  We also tried AT&T and Mobil turning the phone off etc.   If their was a $60 plan with 2 GB of data then this would be a solution.  As is it is not user friendly and unreliable. We will probably go to TELUS.  It is too bad because we like the plan in Canada. I did work with a moderate at one point they just said add the add-ons.  

@DellaRobertson 

Did you possibly add 2 US roaming add ons at the same time that had talk included? This would cause major problems with that feature and it will not work properly.There was also a glitch earlier this year causing the roaming add ons to not work properly. Had you contacted the community or the moderators at the time this probably could have been easily sorted out for you.

Its worth a try to contact the moderators and explain the misunderstanding you had with your $50 plan features ( a commom mistake) and the issues you had trying to get the roaming add ons to work ( if you indeed added them). Inquire nicely of the moderators that because this was all new to you and your access to support was limited due to intermittent wifi access would they be kind enough to credit back the amount you spent on the US roaming add ons onto your account. They don't have to....but they can be very understanding in these circumstances.

Going forward consider a few different options for future travel in the US.  Mint mobile is an awesome option with cheap unlimited calling/texting/3gb data for $15/month in 3 month packages up to unlimited monthly data for $30/month If you have a dual sim phone even better!

Having the wifi app textnow and wifi/mobile data app fongo for calling means you could call forward your pm number to fongo and leave your pm sim in Canada and with mint mobile you would still have pm service ( on the pm $15 plan) and full services in the US with mint mobile w/ calling to Canada and Mexico with a combined total cost of $30 ($15cdn+$15US) up to $45 ($15cdn+$30US). That would end up being cheaper than public mobile's great but discontinued $60 Canada/US roaming plan back in 2019... (except for those who kept the grandfathered plan patiently waiting out the pandemic to make full use of it again.)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DellaRobertson : Do you possibly have $60 in your Available Funds? Did you restart the phone after trying to purchase the add-on? Did you scan for and connect to either T-Mobile or AT&T when in the states? Did you see the add-on in Plan details or the data under My Data & Add-ons?

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

There use to be a plan that allowed you to roam in the US without add-ons but it was discontinued.

The $50 plan does not offer roaming.  You can make calls to the US but you have to be in Canada.

For service when not connected to the Telus/Public Mobile network, a roaming package must be purchased. Calls must originate from Canada to the US.

If you spend alot if time in the US, you might consider https://www.mintmobile.com.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@DellaRobertson wrote:

Please be aware Public Mobil does not work in the USA.  My husband and I both have the top plan $55.00 a month.  We thought by the wording it would work in both the US and Canada.  We discovered we would need add -on.  I added on the 10 day plans(which is $20 for 10 days so another 60 a month) and tried every option.  We were not able to receive calls from Canada unless on Wi-Fi and no one with a USA number could call us.  Everything went to voicemail and we did not get their messages. we relied on Facetime and Facebook messenger.  I even tried reducing my Canadian plan to $35 and increasing USA add-on data but still ineffective.  Impossible to use google maps as you got very little data with the plan and once left Wi-Fi nothing worked properly so could not rely on it which is essential in another country. We will be forced to go to another carrier please be aware before traveling outside Canada.  

The $50 Canada and US calling only works when the call originates in Canada.

Did you use the correct procedure for adding the 10 Day US talk/text/data add-ons. Load $$ into your Available Funds, then go back and select the add-on you want. Should work right away while you're in US.

AE_Collector
Mayor / Maire

The top plan is $50 so maybe you are including tax in the $55. Most realize by the wording that Canada calling TO the USA is included (not just calling within Canada) in the $50 plan but if Roaming in the US and calling to USA or Canada is NOT included. Roaming in the USA costs considerably more with 10 day add-ons.

A couple of years ago there was very briefly a $60 plan that included calling to Canada and the US while IN the USA (roaming) and it included 2 GB of Data for use in the USA along with 8.5 GB of data for use in Canada.

AE_Collector

Need Help? Let's chat.