cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Roaming Data

JldLili
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello!

I'm travelling to the US and i need more than 1GB of data, at least 3. How can i add more than the 1 they have as an option? 

6 REPLIES 6

GreatCanadian
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@wetcoaster I set up a Google Voice number some years ago on a trip to the US. All my important contacts have this number stored with my contact information and can use that to text or call me when I'm in the US. Or they can text or call me anytime for that matter at my US number as it works in Canada as well. That way my number doesn't change every trip when I get a US sim. 

GC 

@GreatCanadian wrote:

However, if you absolutely need your PM number, then this is not a solution.

GC

Sign up for a local Fongo number and forward your Public Mobile calls to that before you leave. Pick up the calls over your data connection in your country of destination.

If you need your phone number as caller ID when calling from abroad I think Hangouts lets you program the number it will display on the recipients phone.

Disclaimer:

a) I'm not up-to-date with SMS forwarding options, I'd encourage my contacts to reach me via my WhatsApp (or similar) account.

b) I have yet to put the Fongo call forwarding to the test.

GreatCanadian
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

When on short 2 or 3 or 4 day trips to the US I will use the US roaming addons. But any longer than that I just buy a local sim card in the US. We vacation for 3 weeks in Florida each Christmas and our family of 4 buy a local SIM. Usually you can find a plan that will have unlimited data, unlimited Canada-US calling, and unlimited texting for about 30 bucks. For 4 accounts last year I paid $100 for 4 plans with MetroPCS (T-Mobile).

However, if you absolutely need your PM number, then this is not a solution.

GC

@will13am wrote:

@JldLili, because the US add-ons are time based and start right at time of purchase, you cannot stack purchases.  Note also they don't expire for 10 days even when the data is used up and so you can't purchase the same add-on until 10 days have elapsed.  To bypass the problem you will need to seek moderator team assistance.  The moderator team can be reached via private message using this link.  Please include in the private message account number and PIN code. Refer to the following knowledge base link for additional information on contacting the moderator team.

Is there a solution where you can get more than 1GB at once? Has anyone in the community ever done that before?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@JldLili, because the US add-ons are time based and start right at time of purchase, you cannot stack purchases.  Note also they don't expire for 10 days even when the data is used up and so you can't purchase the same add-on until 10 days have elapsed.  To bypass the problem you will need to seek moderator team assistance.  The moderator team can be reached via private message using this link.  Please include in the private message account number and PIN code. Refer to the following knowledge base link for additional information on contacting the moderator team.

cappaj
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@JldLili wrote:

Hello!

I'm travelling to the US and i need more than 1GB of data, at least 3. How can i add more than the 1 they have as an option? 

I could be wrong, but I think the only way to do it is to buy one, use it up, then buy another, use it up, etc.

Need Help? Let's chat.