cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jheili99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Re: URGENT: Sim not Supported Error

hi..

agree with everybody: your phone has been sim card locked to your previous provider .... apple is known to make it difficult to unlock iphones..

4 options you have:

1. call virgin for unlock code ( you must have an active account with them and they usually charge 50.00 fee for this code...if you don't have an account with them any longer you might be out of luck there )

2.pay one of these cell phone stores 50-90 $ ..they can unlock it for you

3. find somebody who "jailbreaks" your phone which will unlock it as well ( costs the same as unlock code )

4. get yourself via craigslist a different phone ( cheapest solution probably ) ...either an unlocked one or if it is locked to telus,koodo or PC that will work too....

cheers

darcy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Here's the thread where they ported from Virgin (second comment, no mention of phone) http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/How-do-I-move-my-cell-phone-number-to-...

Here's the thread where this message popped up AFTER public was working

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/SIM-Not-Supported/td-p/53405

jamestneutron
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

They only charge $50 to existing customers whose accounts are still active...it's $75 to former customers! That'll teach you for leaving!  

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@darcy for the first post, if you're talking about BetaKam, he or she did not mention anything at all about their phone, so I don't think you can assume they didn't have an unlocked phone.

In the second thread, it was an intermittent issue with a known unlocked phone.  Yours is locked to Virgin and the symptom is not intermittent.  

Neither of these threads is helpful in your situation.  You need to get your phone carrier unlocked for it to work with PM.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
jamestneutron

Be careful...(President Choice) PC Mobile uses a different support carrier for their prepaid and their post paid services...Prepaid is Bell and Post Paid is Telus. If you pick up a PC Mobile phone on Craigslist or Kijiji it might not support the PM sim.

darcy

Any suggestions for sites to unlock? I'm no longer a virgin customer but still find it strange that this error occurred on someone else's phone who had public working: http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/SIM-Not-Supported/td-p/53405

bmendes

I remember when you couldn't even unlock Bell iPhone's at all. Bell would refuse and third parties were charging $150-200+ to do it. I couldn't switch for a long time bc of this. 

jamestneutron

Then the CRTC stepped in...much better these days with a little competition between companies and the option to get out of a contract.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@jamestneutron that's possible.  But since @darcy has confirmed they got the iPhone from Virgin and have not gotten it unlocked, I would say it's a 99.99999999% probability that the problem is the phone is locked to Virgin.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
jamestneutron

Agreed...I would even go as far as to say that 100% it is a problem! Not saying that there are not other obsticles in the way...but nothing will work in the current locked state! Cheers! 

Need Help? Let's chat.