cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

U.S data addon experience / Fongo problem

neo911
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hello all,

I am in U.S currently and had added the U.S 1 gb data add-on before leaving Canada. Just wanted to share my experience for other PM users and also a problem I am facing with transferring calls to Fongo.

- As suggested by PM member I added $20 to my account then selected the 1gb data add-on.

- After crossing the border at queenston-lewiston was able to get PM's network for about 10-15 miles including LTE first and then 3G.

- The network did not automatically switch over to T-mobile/AT&T. Later on at a rest stop I had to switch the phone off/on and then manually select the network once.

- It has been smooth sailing since then with network switching between T-Mobile/AT&T. -T-Mobile seems to have a better LTE coverage in urban areas. AT&T works well on highways with 3G coverage.

Fongo

- I had forwarded my calls from PM to Fongo before crossing the border. I get the forwarded calls on Fongo app just fine when I use the cellular data network.

- However when I connect to a Wi-fi network the calls do not get forwarded to Fongo app and they go straight to PM's voicemail. I find this little confusing and irritating.

Anyone who has faced this problem with fongo while roaming? and is there a fix around this? Or any other app which does not give this kind of problem? I have an iPhone in case its handset specific.

Cheers!

10 REPLIES 10

crazycolby
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

will go to new york next week with my family, thx for the info.

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
Good to know. Thanks for the info.

From my fongo experience, it does work most of the time, however in some rare cases, it just wont work on some area's cell network.    If some area works, some doesnt, then probably somewhere in between prevent fongo from working.  It is hard to tell.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I dont think it has anything to do with a fongo issue.   as mentioned its likley how the forwarding was setup.  Forwarding is carrier based if 1 then do a , if 2 then b etc..   so on wifi your phone is is telling the system what to do somehow.  

fongo should have no control on the PM system

neo911
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

thanks everyone.

@koimr1thanks for the detailed reply. I did check the app settings on my iphone and it does have these settings. I tried to check/uncheck them and tested by calling. However I am still facing the same problem.

I have also contacted fongo support. Maybe they can confirm for sure if this can be resolved.

Will keep the forum updated if fongo offers any fix for this.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

It is likely a fongo glitch.  Unless the phone is force disconnected from the network, it is still connected to the network when wifi is enabled.  Enabling wifi merely disconnects data (cellular network state is disconnected).  Think about it, if wifi completely disconnects the phone from the network, calls would never go through. 

@koimr1, as I was saying, I was only guessing.

Your post could be exactly the answer the OP is looking for.  Thanks!

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@stonechucker wrote:

I have no experience with this, however, I have a thought on the Fongo wifi situation.

When connected with the data-only option, your cell phone doesn't ring but it may be visible via the agreement on roaming.  while visible, it routes your call accordingly.  While on WiFi, the cellular isn't active, and maybe the device isn't seen, so Public Mobile throws it to voice mail.

I'm guessing about all that.  But it sounds good!

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the actual forwarding done at the carrier level and not via the phone?

This sounds more like a Fongo problem than a forwarding one. I see in my Fongo settings (Android) that there's a couple WiFi-specific options that might need to be looked at:

ss1.png

and

ss2.png

Hope I'm not way off base and any of that helps! 🙂

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

I have no experience with this, however, I have a thought on the Fongo wifi situation.

When connected with the data-only option, your cell phone doesn't ring but it may be visible via the agreement on roaming.  while visible, it routes your call accordingly.  While on WiFi, the cellular isn't active, and maybe the device isn't seen, so Public Mobile throws it to voice mail.

I'm guessing about all that.  But it sounds good!

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

hmm thats a strange one,since forwarding its network based ,  it should have nothig to do with your wifi status as your PM sim should have no service.  what option did you choose when you setup the forwarding?  all calls or only when no answer etc...

Need Help? Let's chat.