cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Troubles Connecting to the Network

chowdog554
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey,

I posted here a little while ago about my problem without a permanent solutions. It seems if I go into a dead zone where there is no signal and then re-enter a zone where there is signal my phone won't connect to the network without restarting it or toggling airplane mode on and off. Since I live in a basement suite I often don't have reception at home but when I leave to go to work my phone just won't reconnect to the network when i get outside. Even after travelling 30 minutes to work it won't connect the whole way. I have now missed several important calls and text messages and this is now more than just an annoyance. Can anyone suggest some solutions? @Mary_M @Shazia_K @Saray_O @Caroline_D

My phone is a Samsung S6 that is almost two years old. I was previously with Telus Mobility and did not suffer this issue.

6 REPLIES 6

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@chowdog554 thanks for the updates, it seems like you've already pretty thoroughly attacked the issue.  If you haven't already, I'd suggest you private message one of the moderators for further assistance. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

chowdog554

@daredogg I have tried the manual connecting the phone to Public Mobile but it didn't work. If anything it might have been worse (i.e. happened more often).

@srlawren I had thought of factory resetting the phone but after going through about 20 pages of forums posts I am not convinced it will solve my issues. I am pretty sure it has to do with leaving dead zones. Previously with telus I had mapped out all the dead zones in my day to day life. The phone says "No Network Connection" where it would usually says the carrier name after I leave a dead zone when it won't connect. The phone not connecting to the network seems to happen maybe 8 times out of a 100 which doesn't seem like much but I go in and out of dead zones often (i.e. there is lead lined walls at work). I thought about the sim card so I took it out and cleaned the connection and you could see the marks from where the phones pins had been so I am pretty sure it is tight in there. Whenever I have this issue I don't see a no sim card warning.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@chowdog554 I hate to suggest it as it's a pain, but you may want to consider doing a factory reset on the phone.  Please note that doing so will wipe all your data from the phone, so please be sure to back up anything you want to keep that isn't already backed up or synced to a cloud-based service before you do so.  

Actually come to think of it...  are you sure it's related to entering and leaving dead zones?  I wonder if it's maybe your SIM card not making a consistent tight connection to the pins on the phone?  Do you see a SIM error or any other messages when you get disconnected?  Is it always in the same locations--if so I guess that would be dead zones.  What part of the country are you in?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Hey @chowdog554 don't tag all the moderators right away. They're busy enough and this issue is probably something the community can help you with. Let one of the oracles escalate your issue to the moderators if they see fit. Refer to this post... All you need to know about our Community Moderators

Would manually connecting to the network and leaving it also work? Since you know you'll be on PM, you don't really need it on auto. My parents live right on the Canadian/US border and I've set their phone networks manually because they would sometimes connect to US cell towers and get charged. Seems to have worked... maybe same concept can help you?

chowdog554

The phone is set to auto connect and it will do it some of the time but it happens often enough that it won't reconnect to network . Like I said it never had this issue on telus.

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

It sounds like it is not on auto connect network, or auto connecting to the wrong network.

Take a look at your network setting.

Need Help? Let's chat.