cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traveller

Aftonbernard
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My friend is returning home for a couple of months from another country and is interested in a public mobile SIM card for the duration of her stay. 

should I order it for her? When she activates, will it keep her out of country number? Will it risk cancelling her existing plan in her home country ?

9 REPLIES 9

@darlicious 

Yes I noticed again last night that international visitors (Not USA visitors, that is a separate agreement currently set at something like July 24) Are restricted until July 31 currently. Subject to continuing revue of course, most likely with some countries Ultimately being allowed to visit us before the mess to the south of us is allowed here which will also keep me from visiting my summer cabin in WA state until next year most likely.

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector 

No you are not wrong....everyone from outside of Canada who arrives in Canada must quarantine for 14 days. @Aftonbernard  you can order the sim card for your friend at CCS as suggested and have it waiting for her at the place she has arranged to self quarantine.

Obviously your friend has investigated all the Covid-19 concerns with visiting Canada. Don’t visitors still have to quarantine for the first 14 days and that likely means not with you but in a hotel somewhere? Maybe I’m behind on some of the changes?

AE_Collector

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@Aftonbernard wrote:

My friend is returning home for a couple of months from another country and is interested in a public mobile SIM card for the duration of her stay. 

should I order it for her? When she activates, will it keep her out of country number? Will it risk cancelling her existing plan in her home country ?

Depending on what country she is from the PM SIM may not work in her phone either. Make sure to check that her phone is compatible with the network. 

If she goes with PM while she is here she will have to use a Public Mobile number and just let her friends and contacts know the new number for the time that she is here.

Hope she enjoys her time in Canada!

Have an amazing day!
@

kelvarnsen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

What country is your friend coming from? Keep in mind that if she gets a pm sim card and wants to buy the international minutes package to call home it only works to call select countries.

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Aftonbernard  Her phone must be unlocked and compatible with the PM network.
Only Canadian & USA credit cards can be used to pay; unless she buys vouchers online. Be sure to turn off autopay when she leaves to avoid accidental payment. 

Network Frequencies at PM

• 4G LTE/LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz; 2100 MHz downlink with 1700 MHz uplink (AWS). PM throttles speed on these to 3 mbps.
  • HSPA (3G): 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS). N.B. Must have these for calls to work. Texting and data also work on the 3G frequencies.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@Aftonbernard 

Can you ask your friend to open fongo account

If she's not in a country where she can download app, can you do it for her?

This way she gets her free Canadian number and can forward for free to any number when she comes to Canada.

What she gets the app on her phone she can use that anywhere she is off she had data or wifi.

She cannot port non Canadian number to Publicmobile. It's she wants to cancel our pause her account abroad she will have to contact her provider about it

And you would be great friend if you would a have sim for her when she comes.

These guys often have it cheap https://canadiancellsupplies.com/products/public-sim-card?variant=31239577829465 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Signing up for a PM will not effect their other account.  

You can order a sim through canadiancellsupplies.ca.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

She will not be able to port a number from another country.

If you get a sim card for her. When you activate the sim card you will have to choose a Canadian number. As for her out of country number she would have to continue paying the cell provider with that plan or look at transferring the number to VoIP that accepts it. Unfortunately with Public Mobile only Canadian numbers can be ported.

Don't forget to use your referral code when activating your friends sim card so that they receive a $10 sign up bonus and you receive $1 off per 30 days as long as the new account remains active.

Ensure that her phone she is bringing is compatible with Public Mobile frequency bands and that it is UNLOCKED.

You can get sim cards at Walmart/London drugs or order online so it's ready to activate once she arrives.

Need Help? Let's chat.