cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transparency ... or at least a heads up

willph
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

It would be nice to have some transparency with what is going on regarding plans or the future of PM.  With the promos to exit left to Koodo that were offered, it left a lot of us wondering or speculating what is going on.  Always thought we were promised transparency by the leaders of the ship.  But I feel like that wasn't given to us.  

I understand there are a lot of inner workings that should be kept private, however even just a general overall feel would be nice.  Even if the feel was to say "our goal is to eliminate this plan by offering incentives...."

Or
"The cost of some users is high due to rewards, etc.. so we have offered incentives to migrate them to Koodo where they may be able to take advantage of other things...."

Anyone on this page?  Or am I alone in this thinking?

15 REPLIES 15

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@denkom it's already been officially confirmed by senior moderator @Mary_M:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/quot-The-future-of-PM-quot-what-we-are-st...

I'm not sure what else people are looking for.  PM isn't going away any time soon.  They are quite obviously shifting their focus, as you can see by recent moves such as highlighting 30 day plans in the plans page, and introducing an extremely affordable entry-level plan today.  They are moving PM more toward the role they expect it to fulfill, which is an entry-level to the Telus family (1st tier Telus, 2nd tier Koodo, 3rd tier PM), much like Chatr is for the Rogers family (1st Rogers/2nd Fido/3rd Chatr) and Lucky is for the Bell family (1st Bell/2nd Virgin/3rd Lucky).  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Any company can say they will be around forever until they aren't.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

denkom
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I agree, it would be nice to have some confirmation from PM about the future of the company. I guess only time will tell.

jp2
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@stonechucker I think PM is the best for the consumer at this time. 

Lucky could be to compete with those options as you mentioned but here in Edmonton it seems like their main focus is competing with Freedom. 

Acekiller

it would be nice, but unlikely to happen

@jp2, Bell only recently got a third teir service (again).  Bell actually created Lucky to compete with Public Mobile, and Chatr (Rogers).

Other than the other MVNOs that run on various provider towers ...  and Freedom (which is not the best in my mind)... the Teir 1 and 2 have full access services, and ONLY Public Mobile has 'NO ZONE' coverage.

I live in a mid-sized City in Ontario, an only just got Freedom's 'fast LTE' service in fall last year.  As soon as I'm out of the City, I'm romaning in the AWAY network, paying cents/minute for things.  Hence, why I moved to PM.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Lol, it is barely a week after the migration offer closed and we are back at talking about this subject again.  The mentioning of transparency is mostly fluff and platitudes to me.  The bottom line is this.  High level direction on what to do with the Public Mobile brand is made in board rooms to which customers are never invited into.  Even if we are told one thing this week, things can be totally different the next.  The one constant to be mindful of is nothing lasts forever as already stated.  The terms of service provides for the option to change anything and everything with notice.  Notice permission.  As long we all understand this, there will never be a surprise in the future.  We are here now presumably because it is the most wallet friendly option at the moment.  The future is a chapter waiting to be written.  That is life. 

jp2

@wetcoaster I think that makes sense the big 3 want all their customers to be using the parent company because they make the most money there. They purchase these discount providers to ensure they can control them (protect their monopoly) and hopefully convince the subscribers to switch to a separate division with higher profit margins 

Based on discussions (tealeaves) here, and offline, PM is here to stay for the foreseeable future. How long is that? As long as Telus' corporate planning horizon. Robot LOL

Besides it hardly matters. Today PM is my best deal, tomorrow I may revert to a landline.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

There have been several statements from moderator Mary (Public Mobile employee) that Public Mobile is not going anywhere, and definitely not out of business. (sorry, I don't have the time for an extensive search to link to)

Being a flanker brand of one of the big three (Telus), that's likely as good as it gets for transparency at Public Mobile in 2018.

BTW, while not as apparent at Bell (at least not out here on the west coast) Rogers has also been trying to get people up the food chain into a higher ARPU bracket by end of the first quarter (migration plans for ChatR customers). Meaning that the Koodo migration plans are not unique to the Telus family.

willph

@ShawnC13

Also, I should add this is more of a suggestion or thought that might be value add to the service / community.

willph

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@willph, remember this is part of Telus.  Does your cable company or any other service provider give you that type of transparency.  In the statement where they reversed the price increase it was stated.  "All good things must come to an end" now we don't know when that is.  I think you have to be loyal to your wallet and if a better plan comes up that works for you or until PM no longer works for you that is when you switch.

@ShawnC13, In that exact same statement you just quoted, Dave talks about being proud of transparency.  
But to answer your question: No, not every cable company is the same.  Of course not.  And I stated that there are obvious things that should be guarded, or what not.  
I'm not upset or mad over what has happened (I'm still here).  I just simply would LIKE a bit more of what was "promised".  

screencap_PM.JPG

LEGO

I am with you on this willph! I left my grandfathered plan with Fido, switched to Public Mobile and it would be horrible news to discover that Public Mobile is being dismissed in the future!

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@willph, remember this is part of Telus.  Does your cable company or any other service provider give you that type of transparency.  In the statement where they reversed the price increase it was stated.  "All good things must come to an end" now we don't know when that is.  I think you have to be loyal to your wallet and if a better plan comes up that works for you or until PM no longer works for you that is when you switch.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

jp2

I know as a new user I would like to know 

Need Help? Let's chat.