cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring my current cell number to another cell provider..?

Huge
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

How do I transfer my Cell Number to another Cell Phone Provider..???  Any costs associated with it.?  How long does it take to do..?   How much advance notice do you need..?  

Thanks, Huge

7 REPLIES 7

@gojeffgo wrote:

Hello. How long does it take to port to another sp? I was told last night that Public would send me a text to confirm porting out but I yet have to receive a text. 

First, make sure your service is still active with Public Mobile, and that your Public Mobile SIM is in your phone and working. Then contact the OTHER service provider to re-try the port request, which should trigger the verification text from Public Mobile.

gojeffgo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello. How long does it take to port to another sp? I was told last night that Public would send me a text to confirm porting out but I yet have to receive a text. 

@Huge wrote:

How do I transfer my Cell Number to another Cell Phone Provider..???  Any costs associated with it.?  How long does it take to do..?   How much advance notice do you need..?  

A phone number can be transferred to another carrier as long as the service is still active at the existing carrier and as long as both carriers offer phone numbers for the same city as your phone number.

The process can take a few hours but you don't give your old company notice. However, you are responsible for any billing agreements that you have with them. 

There is no extra fee, but the actually procedure are set by the company that you are transferring to.

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

There isn't usually any costs associated with the "porting" (transferring) of a telephone number among providers.  You need to be within the relatively same area and is usually requested by the new provider.  In other words, don't cancel your number with Public Mobile before you transfer it.

However, if you have an existing balance/credit/etc with the old provider (be it Public Mobile or other carrier) then you may lose that.  Obviously, if you have any outstanding charges/bills then you'll still be responsible for that with the existing provider.

The only weird thing about this if your want to transfer it to another Telus-company.  This can be done internally within Telus (including Koodo and Public Mobile).  If you're trying to port/transfer your number into Public Mobile, this can be done via "Change Number" in your account at: 
https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/Overview/ChangeNumber/

Otherwise, it's done immediately.  Delays in system and processing may take a few hours, but if it's automated without problem, it should happen more or less right away.  Just make sure you have all the right information (eg. your account number(s)/etc) when processing the transfer.

Goodluck!  🙂

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You would need to contact the other provider to transfer your PM phone number.  You need to keep your PM account active during the Porting process.  You may want to transfer your number before your next renewal date.  

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Huge wrote:

Thanks, Huge

Hi Huge,

You simply advise the other provider that you wish to port your number from an existing provider.

There are NO COSTS to switch to Public Mobile or to port out.   You would have to consult other providers for any activation fees they may have.

The time involved is based on whether you're porting a mobile phone or a landline.  Mobile can be done within hours, landline can take several days.

Here's an article which covers both porting in and out:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Huge wrote:

Thanks, Huge

@Huge A cell phone port usually completes with 2-4 hours.

It doesn't cost to port, just the cost of whatever you already paid in your current plan is lost if it prepaid. If postpaid you should get prorated.

More info.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ab/get-help/articles/choose-your-phone-number

Are you porting IN or OUT?

EDIT: there could be a tab plus charge if you still owe a balance on a device with your current provider.

Need Help? Let's chat.