cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time for another competitive response???

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I noticed that the competition has a WiFi calling app that handles talk and text without the usage affecting the account balance.  Lucky also has a $10 50 text/50minutes plan limited usage plan.  With the WiFi extension, it makes that plan unlimited usage for $10.  Looking forward to the next competitive response from Public Mobile...

https://www.luckymobile.ca/support/plans-add-ons/Wi-Fi-Calling

13 REPLIES 13

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@RobertQc wrote:

@popping wrote:

@smp99 wrote:

@popping wrote:

Instead of matching Lucky wifi offer, it is the time for PM to offer text/MMS add-on to remove the limitation of our $10 50/50 plan.

Advantage of text/MMS add-on over Lucky wifi calling:

- Using the one phone number instead of 2 phone numbers

- Voice call quality is always good comparing with the VoiP call

This - or just have Unl text with limited calls

I don't think PM will go for unlimited text.  Otherwise, it will be the perfect teenage plan for $10.  Parent will love it too without overage charge.

@poppingNot sure why they don't offer more variations. I know I know, take public mobile for what it is, not what you want it to be... 🙂

But I still would propose a $15 plan with unlimited text and limited calling... or just offer a $5 unlimited text 30 day add-on... it would bridge the gap between the $10 and 20 plan and bring over some new subscribers as there are many other companies that offer unlimited text for less than $25 a month.

They have 50/50 for $10

Unlimited talk / no text $20

Unlimited talk / Unlimited text $25

Now, this thread provides PM enough options to consider.

popping

@smp99 wrote:

Getting back to the original post, the more I think about it, the more I think this is not really a concern for PM. The simple fact that this has it's own number and you still need a Lucky account with another number, that alone makes it not really competitve. I mean Hangouts and Fongo offer similar features which are available to PM clients. 

I suppose the lack of in-app advertising might be nice.

BTW, Hangouts dialer uses mobile number as caller ID.

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Getting back to the original post, the more I think about it, the more I think this is not really a concern for PM. The simple fact that this has it's own number and you still need a Lucky account with another number, that alone makes it not really competitve. I mean Hangouts and Fongo offer similar features which are available to PM clients. 

I suppose the lack of in-app advertising might be nice.

@popping wrote:

@smp99 wrote:

@popping wrote:

Instead of matching Lucky wifi offer, it is the time for PM to offer text/MMS add-on to remove the limitation of our $10 50/50 plan.

I don't think PM will go for unlimited text.  Otherwise, it will be the perfect teenage plan for $10.  Parent will love it too without overage charge.

@poppingNot sure why they don't offer more variations. I know I know, take public mobile for what it is, not what you want it to be... 🙂

But I still would propose a $15 plan with unlimited text and limited calling... or just offer a $5 unlimited text 30 day add-on... it would bridge the gap between the $10 and 20 plan and bring over some new subscribers as there are many other companies that offer unlimited text for less than $25 a month.

They have 50/50 for $10

Unlimited talk / no text $20

Unlimited talk / Unlimited text $25

popping

@smp99 wrote:

@popping wrote:

smp99

@popping wrote:

@popping wrote:

@will13am

Lucky wifi calling is similar to Fongo except Fongo outgoing tect is not free.

I don't to carry another phone number.  The wifi calling will have limited use because the voice quality will be bad on public wifi like McD.

@stonechucker

- Voice call quality is always good comparing with the VoIP call.

What I refer to as competitive response is not necessarily duplicating the competition although that seems to be the bread and butter response these days.  Two number is major weakness of the WiFi calling feature.  I already have numbers galore.  My google voice account has a number.  I can text and call with that number.  It runs off of wireless and WiFi data. 

@smp99 wrote:

It may work on mobile data given this statement:

• Calls must start and finish within the Wi-Fi network you connect to. If you leave a Wi-Fi zone during a call, the call will terminate. Similarly, if you start your call on the mobile network and enter a Wi-Fi only zone, your call will terminate.

My read of that is the WiFi calling app is not an extension of the phone apk that we are acustomed to using for phone calls.  So, if you make a call using the phone apk, it cannot transfer to the WiFi calling apk and vice versa. 

I doubt the WiFi apk would work on wireless data fed from the phone to which the app is installed.  This is purely a guess as this would explain why they say WiFi calling is intended to be used where there is no cellular service available.  This completely firewalls the WiFi apk from cellular service. 

popping

@will13am

Lucky wifi calling is similar to Fongo except Fongo outgoing tect is not free.

I don't to carry another phone number.  The wifi calling will have limited use because the voice quality will be bad on public wifi like McD.

@stonechucker

- Voice call quality is always good comparing with the VoIP call.

@stonechucker wrote:

@will13am, ugh.... limited access on the WiFi app.  I'm staying here.

I think they got that wrong.  In one place they say the intent of the WiFi app is to enable usage where there is no cellular service.  Then they go on to say that as long as you connect to WiFi in Canada and US, the app will work.  Of course with a good VPN, you are always located in Canada or the US. 

This WiFi calling thing is not something that necessarily interests every customer.  The fact the competition has it says the Public Mobile needs to get off the couch and think of a response. 

smp99

It may work on mobile data given this statement:

• Calls must start and finish within the Wi-Fi network you connect to. If you leave a Wi-Fi zone during a call, the call will terminate. Similarly, if you start your call on the mobile network and enter a Wi-Fi only zone, your call will terminate.

smp99

Interesting

So you get a different number for this app, it does not use your cell number. But you do get unlimited calling to US/Cda. But it will work on any WiFi in Cda/US. So good for roaming. It suggests that it will not work outside of those regions. 

I couldn't get a clear answer but I wonder if it will work on mobile data, not just WiFi

Could be HUGE for the young teen crowd with unl text

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@will13am, ugh.... limited access on the WiFi app.  I'm staying here.

Need Help? Let's chat.