cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throttled LTE speed on an LTE plan

killy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there, I’ve been with public for some years now and never had any issues with the speed for the most part but recently I’ve noticed my LTE speed is definitely not reaching the levels it was at before. This is concerning considering I have one of the legacy plans on which I should be guaranteed LTE speeds and never throttled like one of the newer 3G plans. Is there any way to have this checked out by a mod or higher up to get fixed please? Thank you!

13 REPLIES 13

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@sheytoon 

That's a good one.  I highly suggest not doing this test unless wishing to possibly use all of your plan's data.  At a 3Mbps speed, that won't use much data, but new customers are often unaware that the first 48 hours is untrottled.

@killy you mean like this?

Screenshot_20190214-202539~2.jpg

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@killy Speed tests use a lot of data on a LTE plan! Don't do it unless you're ok with losing a lot of data.

killy

The amount of data sent and received during a speedtest is negligible at best. I would never recommend against verifying you are getting what you pay for.

@alexbel wrote:

Could it be your phone not working as well as it has before? Maybe try running speedtest on your current device and then switch your SIM into a newer device and run the test and compare? As someone suggested, maybe do the speedtests closer to the end of your monthly plan, unless you can afford to use the data used for the test. 

I strongly recommend against running speed tests. Even if someone's speed is slower than it was before, there's one for thing for sure, and that would be that running speed tests can result in there being significantly less data remaining to be used for later.

alexbel

Could it be your phone not working as well as it has before? Maybe try running speedtest on your current device and then switch your SIM into a newer device and run the test and compare? As someone suggested, maybe do the speedtests closer to the end of your monthly plan, unless you can afford to use the data used for the test. 

@killy Speeds at any carrier are never guaranteed. There are many factors that can influence speed.  If you're consistently able to get faster than 3Mbps on the LTE network, your speeds aren't throttled. In the past, there was an issue that caused users to not be able to go past roughly 60 to 70Mbps but that has since long been fixed.

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@kb_mv, just so you can update your post and for future posts, there is no longer the "?" it has been replaced with the chat bubble.

@ShawnC13 I should pay closer attention. Thanks!

@kb_mv, just so you can update your post and for future posts, there is no longer the "?" it has been replaced with the chat bubble.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Maybe a lot more data users (on the same old network resources) because of Covid stuff.

I know this was an issue some months back - quality of service dramatically declined for many people - just too many people using up all the bandwidth so everyone has to get a smaller (slower) share.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@killy wrote:

Hi there, I’ve been with public for some years now and never had any issues with the speed for the most part but recently I’ve noticed my LTE speed is definitely not reaching the levels it was at before. This is concerning considering I have one of the legacy plans on which I should be guaranteed LTE speeds and never throttled like one of the newer 3G plans. Is there any way to have this checked out by a mod or higher up to get fixed please? Thank you!

I don't recommend it until late in your term but have you done speedtests? If you get speeds well over 3Mbps then you're getting more than throttled.

On my desktop recently I have been noticing some oddities. So maybe there's just stuff happening on the internet that is slowing things down.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@killy wrote:

@killy You will need to contact a moderator for help with this. You can contact the mods one of 2 ways. Click the question mark bottom right of the browser as shown in the picture and open a ticket through the automated ticketing system;

kevenv_2-1599233493879.png

or you can contact them through direct messaging at the following link (note this way may take longer for a response);

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

In either case you should receive a reply within 48 hours though typically they are much faster. Watch the envelope icon top right for a reply.

Need Help? Let's chat.