cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts on Imessage vs. Text

SusanC
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So, I'm new to Public Mobile.  All is going well so far (I'm using an iPhone 6).  I go to the US a fair amount, but really only need to text, so the $8 add on will be fine, or so I thought.  Now, I am going to the US next month and was starting to think about this further, and most of my "texting" right now is actually imessage.  I don't believe it is easy to force it to go to sms instead and I think if I don't have data and someone sends me an imessage, they don't get a notice, I just don't get the message until I get into wifi range again.  Everyone I know has unlimited texting now.  I'm trying to decide if there is a real advantage to imessage or if I should be turning imessage off, deleting all old message histories, and trying to make everyone text me instead of sending imessages.  Any thoughts or ideas on this would be appreciated.  (I hope I'm not off side any rules posting this, I did try to search but mainly I could only find threads dealing with issues getting imessage activated or issues with texts not going through, etc.).

Thanks for any ideas.

8 REPLIES 8

ginaadrson
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

You can send a text message from iMessage. If you want to send text message from imessage, then you get help from this thread: https://www.howtoisolve.com/send-as-sms-instead-of-imessage-on-iphone/

@SusanC Check your dad's plan. If he does not have texting included then iMessage is restricted to data. If he does have texting, you need to ensure iMessage is associated with his phone number: Settings >> Messages >> Send & Receive >> set You can be reached by iMessage at  equal to "+1 his phone number".

If he has set iMessage to use his Apple ID then it will only work over wifi or cellular data.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
It definitely is different when sending a text, it'll try iMessage first, if that doesn't work it'll send SMS, green bubble.

You can force it to go to SMS immediately by long pressing on the blue bubble then choosing send as test message. Then the rest should go SMS automatically, try it next time your dads out.

SusanC
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm not sure that iMessage does use SMS when no data. Example, my dads iPhone was set up with iMessage. He has data off on his phone as his plan has no data. I was imessaging with him when he was at home and on wifi and it was fine. He went out, I iMessage him while he was out and he didn't get it. It didn't go through until he got home and his phone connected to wifi again. I am hoping it is different though if the person without data tries to send an iMessage, hopefully that will sent as an SMS. 

I think I'm now leaning to a data only package and no text or talk. 

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts. 

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
If you're not getting your texts until you get to Wifi, then maybe I would just turn it off while in the states. People will still text the same number, unless some people use your id to iMessage you.

bryanbreguet
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Actually iMessage uses SMS if there is no data, automatically. That's one of the strong points of iMessages. So you'll be fine. Of course, you get fewer "options" this way (for pictures for instance), but your messages will absolutely be sent.

Best messaging setup: Settings >> Messages >> IMessage toggle on, Send as SMS toggle on, MMS toggle on.

If you are not on data iMessage will use SMS. Assuming the $8 was text add-on not calling.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

This all comes down to your own preference.  

If all your friends are able to receive text message, you simply use the text message.

However if you need occocional data, then get the data, so you can use data for a little bit on top of the iMessage.  

If you text alot, then using the basic text pacakge is better.

Need Help? Let's chat.