cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

These days, the public mobile signal is not good, the connection is intermittent.

jessiely
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

These days, the public mobile cellphone signal is not good, the connection is intermittent.

the cellphone shows the signal is full, someone called to me, I hole my cellphone in my hand, but I did not hear any ring sound until it shows there is a voicemail. When playing that voicemail, I knew someone has called me. Previously it works well, since this March, the issue appears. Since July, it became more serious.

13 REPLIES 13

jessiely

Thanks for suggestions!

I checked, the default is "Don't optimize."

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@jessiely wrote:

These days, the public mobile cellphone signal is not good, the connection is intermittent.

the cellphone shows the signal is full, someone called to me, I hold my cellphone in my hand, but I did not hear any ring sound until it shows there is a voicemail. When playing that voicemail, I knew someone has called me. Previously it works well, since this March, the issue appears. Since July, it became more serious.

There is a setting to tell OS to stop apps from running in the background.  The phone manufacturer wants to show their phones have long battery life and stopping apps from running in the background.  If your Phone (calling) app is not running in the background, It may not be waked up quick enough to ring the bell before forwarding the incoming call to voicemail.

Check your settings for battery optimization setting the Phone(calling) app.  It should be "Don't optimize"

Instruction for Android 9, 

Settings ==> Apps noticications  ==> Advanced  ==>  Special app access  ==>

Battery Optimization  ==> Phone  ==> Don't optimize.

There are 2 choices for battery optimization:

1.  Optimize - better battery life

2.  Don't Optimize - May drain your battery more quickly

If battery optimization setting is set correctly as Don't optimize.  Your phone may be running too many apps to allow the "Phone (calling)" app time to response to your incoming calls.  Try not to configure too many apps as Don't optimized.

jessiely

ok, thank you.

@jessiely contact customer support mods to reset your sim network on their end

click on the question mark chat bubble to the bottom right of your screen
type "no service"
(use the chat bubble options, then click "submit a ticket, click me" option)
*login using your community account

make sure to check your inbox(top right corner envelope icon) periodically, for a response

jessiely

I am sure it is not because my phone, as I asked a few friends, they also used public mobile. They also have this issue.  Recently I am looking for new jobs, so this issue caused trouble to me. Sometimes, the recruiter called me, even I hold the cell phone in my hand, but no rings sound. Until the phone shows a voice mail, then I know someone called me already.

jessiely

yes, if the issue happens, I tried this method:

turn on Airplane mode for a minute or so, then turn off airplane mode, then can the phone is connected.

But if a number is called in, I cannot be prepared the cell phone in advance, so can not receive the call.

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

Are you sure it's not due to your phone? GTA is very reliable overall.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@jessiely , another GTAer here chiming in, service has been rock solid with no recent changes.  Are you experiencing this at a certain location or all over the city?  I am thinking maybe your phone is failing or perhaps a recent software update is causing problems.  Toronto is pretty heavily populated and if there was major network issues, it would be noticed and corrected pretty quickly.  

@jessiely wrote:

It is in Toronto, no update to cellphone

Hi @jessiely another Torontonian here.  I have no problem with Public Mobile so far.  What kind of phone do you have?  Try rebooting or restarting your phone, or resetting your network settings (settings >> System/General >> Reset )

I hope this helps.  Cheers!

@jessiely Is everything working normally though? On my phone (an old Xperia compact) I will get 1 bar in some places and still everything works fine. In the car using the bluetooth I often see 0 bars on the car screen, I throw phone in center console) but still receive calls.

@jessiely wrote:

PM uses the Telus or Bell backbone so if they're glitchy, then PM will too.

Make sure to cycle phone off / on once in awhile. Try the Airplane mode ON for a minute or so.

jessiely

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@jessiely wrote:

the cellphone shows the signal is full, someone called to me, I hole my cellphone in my hand, but I did not hear any ring sound until it shows there is a voicemail. When playing that voicemail, I knew someone has called me. Previously it works well, since this March, the issue appears. Since July, it became more serious.

I haven't experienced anything like you're suggesting...maybe rarely only. What part of the country are you experiencing this issue ? Is your phone updates current ? Check the Telus website to check for outages.

Need Help? Let's chat.