cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Benefits of NFC & Reusable Sims

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

This is one topic that I believe is very important.

If PM had NFC Sims, and Sims that were reusable, wouldn't that be more easier, simpler, and environmentally friendly? Perhaps Phones should be Sim-Free, Not CDMA persay, but something that can be used anywhere, without having to constantly swapping Sims like crazy. Still Unlockable, use on any carrier network, and all info still transferrable via internet, all that stuff. Sims will become obsolete eventually. Perhaps having phone that not just can be used on all sorts of networks, but having certain programs or ways to link them to carriers, without those tiny Sims. 

6 REPLIES 6

Maybe, just not CDMA per say. But goes beyond SIM and CDMA. CDMA can't do everything like Sim can, and my idea would have liked to see something that you can do like sim, but without the Sim card. 

Griff
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

That just kind of sounds like CDMA, being connected wirlessly not from a link within the device but the device itself.

I don't really see an issue with SIM cards, I think eventually they'll be more uniform in size, there's a bit of discrepancy right now with certain devices using standard, others micro, and then newer ones using nano. In time I think they would likely all transition towards nano.

Having something like a sim card allows for devices to be unlocked to use with other carriers.

Sim will eventually be replaced at some point. maybe treat it like how ppl connect online with handheld gaming devices? How you connect with online wifi? That can create some interesting way, Sim-free, just not wifi specifically, connecting with a carrier, paying for services ppl want, would also make switching to outside canada roaming easy too, no more Sims. Just an Idea. Wish it was that easy

Griff

As far as I know, so far worldwide there's SIM and CDMA. I don't think Public Mobile will be the ones to go beyond SIM cards as they're currently as SIM only brand?

True. But, Perhaps Sim based tech should be phased out in favor of something more durable, flexible, Sims only have so much in them, maybe its time to think outside the sim, not within the sim

Griff

If you're refering to SIM's burning out after 90 days of inactivity that's a limitation of SIM technology and not Public Mobile. The same thing happens on prepaid at the other carriers, after 90 days of non-use the SIM card becomes burnt out when the number is released. A SIM card is only capable of carrying one in service phone number, meaning you can change the phone number you have active on that SIM but you can not activate another number through that SIM.

Need Help? Let's chat.