cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texting issues

dblandford
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have an iPhone 8 and just signed up with Public Mobile. My voice calls work fine, but my texting is not working. When I am on WiFi texts send and receive fine. When I am on 3G/LTE texts will not receive or send. 

I checked my settings and iMessage is turned on and so is SMS. When I reconnect to WiFi the texts start coming in. 

My Public Mobile plan is the $15/month with 250MB data; 100 minutes voice and Unlimited International texts. 

My other public mobile phone is also an iPhone 8. This phone sends and receives texts on WiFi and on 3G/LTE with no problems. 

Do you need to have data to send and receive texts? I don't think so. I tried to power off my phone and took the sim card out and put it back in and still no luck. Any help?

11 REPLIES 11

MacH

I had the same problem. I reset my network connections as suggested above and it worked. I suspect (but I am not sure) that my public phone number had not been automatically added to the list of places I could initiate and receive messages.

seems to work fine now

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@dblandford 

1.  iMessage protocol uses wifi or mobile data to send and receive message in iMessage format.  Therefore, your need enable mobile data and correct APN in order to send/receive iMessage format messages.

2.  SMS messages are piggy back on the cellphone voice channel.  Therefore, you do not need wifi or mobile data to send/receive SMS messages.

3.  MMS picture messages needs mobile data to send and receive picture image.  Having wifi will not do anything.  Therefore, enable mobile data on your iPhone.

If your friends are using Android phone or a flip phone, two choices:

1.  Disable iMessage.  Your iPhone will be using voice channel to send and receive SMS/MMS.  This means that your iPhone friends also disable iMessage OR configure iMessage settings to send/receive SMS/MMS as choice #2 below.

2.  You can keep using iMessage and enable SMS/MMS on your iMessage settings before your Android friends getting your message. 

iPhone Settings for iOS 12.4.5
Under iPhone Messages settings:
iMessage = enabled

SMS/MMS
MMS Messaging = enabled
Group Messaging = enabled
All other Messages settings are disabled

How do you know what message type you are sending or receiving on iPhone?
Messages with green bubbles are normal SMS/MMS text messages.
Message with blue bubbles are sent via the iMessage

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@dblandford 

Can you try another messages app

@dblandford test your sim in the other iPhone to see if it can text. if it's not working, contact customer support mods

click on the question mark chat bubble to the bottom right of your screen
type "mms not working" (Simon doesn't recognize sms)
(use the chat bubble options, then click "submit a ticket, click me" option)

make sure to check your inbox(top right corner envelope icon) periodically, for a response

dblandford

No...I can send and receive calls without issues. 

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@dblandford 

Try going to your settings and specify sms instead of iMessages

@dblandford wrote:

I turned off iMessage, I turned off WiFi and texts still won't send or receive. 

Are you having any issues connecting to the cellular network?  Does phone calls work?  As long as there is a cell network connection, texting should work fine.  

dblandford

I turned off iMessage, I turned off WiFi and texts still won't send or receive. 

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@dblandford try re-registering your number to your Apple ID

Sign out of every Apple service and device that uses your Apple ID, except the one you're using to change your Apple ID.
Go to Settings > [your name] > Name, Phone Numbers, Email.
Next to Reachable At, tap Edit > Delete.
Tap Continue and follow the instructions.
After you enter the mobile phone number that you want to use as your Apple ID, a verification code is sent to you at that number. Enter the verification code from the text into the fields provided.
Sign back in to all Apple services with your new Apple ID.

reset your network settings

1. From the home screen navigate to Settings>General>Reset
2. Tap Reset Network Settings
If prompted enter your passcode
3. Tap Reset Network Settings
4. Restart your phone

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@dblandford No you don't need data enabled  to send sms messages, only for mms ones. Try switching the 2 Sims to see if there may be a problem with the phone and not the SIM. Stay safe. 

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@dblandford imessage uses data.  Text doesn't use data.  If you don't want to use data, turn off iMessage and turn on SMS.

Need Help? Let's chat.