cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texting Australia, anyone had success?

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hello Community,

Has anyone had success texting Australia before?

It appears so...as mentioned here by @computergeek541 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/txt-to-Australia/m-p/482463/highlight/t...

I have tried, but would not send...I am thinking maybe it is an issue on the receiving end?

7 REPLIES 7

@esjliv compare the sizes  in the picture texts, the one you are trying to send to the one you received. There may be a size limit.Stay safe. 

So, just wanted to send an update...once I got the exit code added "011 - Exit code", things improved!

1-I was able to send a regular text to Australia.

2-I am able to receive a regular text back from Australia.

3-NOT able to send a Picture Text to Australia...I thought it went through (there were no errors on my end), but the receiver said they didn't get a text with the a picture in it. I am thinking it sounds like something on their end, not PM's.  

@computergeek541 , what are your thoughts?

4-I am able to receive Picture Text from Australia.

Hi @zblackma, so, a bit embarrassing to admit this but the 1st time I tired it, I just started it with 61(rest of the number). Then when I saw @gblackma 's post I slapped myself (figuratively speaking) and realized I did not use the 011 first - duh!.

So, then I tried again and texted 011 61(rest of the number) and it appeared to go through on my end.

Still waiting on confirmation from down under...it is 10pm tomorrow there.

@esjliv wrote:

Hello Community,

Has anyone had success texting Australia before?

It appears so...as mentioned here by @computergeek541 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/txt-to-Australia/m-p/482463/highlight/t...

I have tried, but would not send...I am thinking maybe it is an issue on the receiving end?

I text to Australia on a regular basis. 01161 and then the rest of the number should work fine, although I would say that it's easier just to remember +61.  I don't see the need to use TextNow or any other app that requires and internet connection unless your plan doesn't include global text messaging (which all currently offered plans do). I will admit that using Textnow would help to dertermine if there is an issue between Public Mobile and the other carrier, but that still would not give an indication if the problem is with Public Mobile, the other carrier, or the text messaging intermediary.

zblackma
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@esjliv what worked? The texting using Public Mobile, the 011 61  and omitting the first 0 from the number? Thanks in advance.

Hi @gblackma, I could probably do that yes, thank you :). But that would probably be a good solution if I was not not in Canada.

But while in Canada I wanted to see if this worked, as I understood it should...and I think it just did. I am waiting for confirmation from the Aussie now. 🤞

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@esjliv do you have TextNow ? Try sending it using that app over WiFi. Stay safe.

011 61 and drop the initial 0 from the number. Retry it using PM too.

Need Help? Let's chat.