cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text to Wrong Number

dennchipp
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I text an image of a void cheque to an incorrect number.  When I call the number, it always says, "we're sorry, this number cannot be completed as dialed."  I have access to long distance, and tried adding a 1 in front of the number (as well as not).  It has a 637 area code (I'm not even sure that works for North America).  My feeling (and hope) is there's no one at the other end of this number.

However, since we have global text, and the text did not bounce back saying "undeliverable," I'm concerned that I may have successfully text someone, somewhere in the world.  Have I? Is there any way to check? Can I check if the number is valid?  Can I check with Public if the text went through and was delivered?  Really would like to avoid the hassle of changing my banking info.

13 REPLIES 13

dude65
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@oglat ...well said.

Many years ago i got a few texts and they were for a different person, it happens. I even had a voice message.. the things is My name is said before you leave a message, so the person should have realized it was not the person he wanted to leave a message to.

dennchipp

Thanks Oglat - this sounds accurate and gives me piece of mind (whether accurate or not), so I said this was the solution.  Based on the other posts I'm confident it's not going to be delivered in North America.  I was just worried someone has that number in some other country, and with just an area code and 7 digit number it could potentially be delivered to another country.

oglat
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@fdrcamb519 

I would like to make a small suggestion for any kind of communication be it private messaging, sms, email... If you are sending something sensitive like that, first establish contact by test message, once you get positive response you can do it by replying. Also watch out for group messages, I've seen messages sent to the whole group and was really intended for only one member of the group, I believe it happened while selecting recipient from there drop-down (probably the last communication was offered first)

Hope that makes sense

fdrcamb519
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I would like to commend you, i really appreciate, when you include a picture, it really, helps. For us visual  people. Well done.

oglat

If it does say Ontario then you have absolutely nothing to worry about. The messages wait to be downloaded for 5 days then they are lost forever. That area code is not in use so nobody can open an account with that number to receive it in 5 days.

Just resend your sms to the right number

dennchipp

Ya, I mean, it looks like it went through (in that it looks the same as other MMS transactions), although usually the "destination location" says ON, but in this case it's blank.

Phone.JPG

oglat

@dennchipp 

It never bounces back

If you put 1 on front it went nowhere to if you didn't most likely it went nowhere too but if you are uneasy you could get long distance card and try calling it with 011

You could change your account easily by calling your bank, for me it was done in minutes. but it may cost you getting new cheques and deal with all direct deposits and autopayments

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@dennchipp wrote:

I text an image of a void cheque to an incorrect number.  When I call the number, it always says, "we're sorry, this number cannot be completed as dialed."  I have access to long distance, and tried adding a 1 in front of the number (as well as not).  It has a 637 area code (I'm not even sure that works for North America).  My feeling (and hope) is there's no one at the other end of this number.

However, since we have global text, and the text did not bounce back saying "undeliverable," I'm concerned that I may have successfully text someone, somewhere in the world.  Have I? Is there any way to check? Can I check if the number is valid?  Can I check with Public if the text went through and was delivered?  Really would like to avoid the hassle of changing my banking info.

Once a text is sent it can't be recalled...but the area code you sent it to hasn't been assigned. Keep an eye on your bank account activity for a few weeks just to be sure.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@dennchipp , you are in luck, area code 637 has not been put into use.  The text probably went nowhere.  Just as a suggestion, it is rather dangerous to freehand a recipient for something as important as a cheque.  I would be comfortable if it was uploaded through an official app.  

https://www.areacodehelp.com/where/area_code_637.shtml

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

To contact a moderator for their input use this link:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

Also, go into self service in usage history to see if the text was sent.

usage.jpg

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@dennchipp I get this when I search the code Area Code 637 has not been assigned for use by the North American Numbering Plan Administrator. Area Code 637 is officially planned as a General Purpose area code which is typically assigned to a geographic area. If you receive a phone call from area code 637 it is a spam call.

https://www.areacodehelp.com/where/area_code_637.shtml

So you may be in luck. But to be on the safe side change your banking information. Stay safe. 

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@dennchipp wrote:

Have a look at this regarding 637...I am not really sure if it is a valid code or not?

https://npnr.org/637/

Need Help? Let's chat.