cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text messaging

Cgfitzhe1982
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
I keep getting a text message from public mobile, anywheres from 3-5 times a day that says the following:
"Public Mobile here. Sorry, we do not offer text messaging outside of Canada at this time."

If I were attempting to send a message outside of Canada I would understand this, but I'm not, it shows up randomly even when I'm not actively using the phone. Any idea why or how to stop this?
10 REPLIES 10

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Cgfitzhe1982 I'd be suprised if it doesn't go away on the newer plan. 🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Cgfitzhe1982
@srlawren it is an iPhone so that's probably the issue, I just changed my plan and now have global text so hopefully problem solved (that message woke me up too many nights in the middle of the night haha)

kevindo27

@Mary_M thank you for the details about text messaging!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Mary_M for the win!  Nicely explained.

@Tram_88 and @Cgfitzhe1982 - what kind of phone are you using?  Is it an iPhone? If so, it's probably iMessage.  

If it's an Android device, are you on the latest Android Marshmallow (6.0)?  If so, go to settings (the gear icon in your notification shade), then tap on Apps, then tap on the gear in the Apps section to bring up the Configure Apps menu, and tap on Access permissions.  Scroll down to SMS permissions and tap on that, and you can see every app on your phone that has requested access to send and/or read your text messages.  Any that are turned ON for this permission have the ability to, at any point in time, attempt to send out text messages, and may be trying to send them outside of Canada.  Try finding any that don't look like you think should need it (e.g. everything but whatever app you actually use for texting), and try turning them off.  See if this makes the problem go away.

If you're on older Android versions, unfortunately there's no way to selectivley choose which permissions each app has, it's all or nothing.  There's probably still a way to look through to at least SEE what apps have the permission, but I don't have a Lollipop (5.0) device handy to check.  Let me know if you need this and I can dig out my old Moto X later to look.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @Boba9,

MMS is included in all of our text plans. However, you need to have an open data connection to be able to send/receive picture messages. This does not mean that you need a data plan, but you need to turn your cellular data ON

@Tram_88 This is a known issue that can be caused by numerous things. Example, Imessage, your voicemail settings, different apps. If the issue persists, let us know and we will further investigate.

@huu9999 Can you try to delete the text and power cycle your phone ? It's possible that the message got stuck or there is a small delay in sending. It happens sometimes, but a quick power cycle can help!

Thank you,

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

huu9999
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

hello,

my text msg isnt letting me sending oversea eventhough i got the global text...the msg kept showing sending !

Tram_88

i also receives text msg like 2x daily saying

"Public Mobile here. Sorry, we do not offer text messaging outside of Canada at this time."

please advises!

Boba9

is text msg included MMS? for some reason i cant send MMS ? help

Litvinau_A
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I used to get this message at the beginning of a term all the time lol

Just for the first few days.

It's to do with having an iPhone and using iMessages, because the way iMessage works - it requires international phone number use.

Don't worry, it's just a glitch and it will disappear soon. @Cgfitzhe1982

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

May be some app is using your text service in the background? 

One user posted similar issue and there is a possibilities.

Check that post here: http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/UGO-App-and-international-text-msg/m-p/655...

Need Help? Let's chat.